HDHomeRun Servio with Nividia Shield TV

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
bigfan99

HDHomeRun Servio with Nividia Shield TV

Post by bigfan99 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:03 am

I have been a happy Windows Media Center 7 based HDHomeRun Prime HDHR3-CC user for many years. I am planning on making the SD Live & DVR transition and was seeking opinions on the following setup.
  • Tuner: HDHomeRun Prime HDHR3-CC
  • DVR Platfrom: HDHomeRun Servio
  • Media Player: Nividia Shield TV (2019)
  • Content: DRM-protected CATV
While I have a Roku Premiere+ in the primary viewing room, from what I have read it is not the best platform for this CATV application hence I was thinking of replacing it with the Nividia Shield TV media player (I'll move the Roku to a secondary location).

Besides playback of DRM-protected DVR content not being currently supported (helpfully it will be added soon), are there any known issues or limitations with this setup?

Thanks!

--Rob

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Re: HDHomeRun Servio with Nividia Shield TV

Post by leerandall » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:26 am

I have just one clarification for you: DRM PLAYBACK is indeed supported on the Shield (Android TV). However, DRM is not able to be RECORDED yet on any platform.

bigfan99

Post by bigfan99 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:06 pm

leerandall wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:26 am
I have just one clarification for you: DRM PLAYBACK is indeed supported on the Shield (Android TV). However, DRM is not able to be RECORDED yet on any platform.
Yes, that was my understanding. Thanks for clarifying for the community.

ERamseth

Post by ERamseth » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:23 pm

You can skip the servio if you want and just use the shield to do the recording with a USB3 hard drive attached. I do the same with 2x HDHR CC3 (6 total tuners). Works well, although if you go that route you might want to have the shield wired via gigabit ethernet for reliability vs wifi.

bigfan99

Post by bigfan99 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:11 pm

ERamseth wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:23 pm
You can skip the servio if you want and just use the shield to do the recording with a USB3 hard drive attached. I do the same with 2x HDHR CC3 (6 total tuners). Works well, although if you go that route you might want to have the shield wired via gigabit ethernet for reliability vs wifi.
Thanks, understood. I will probably still opt for the Servio (I like the idea of collocating it the basement next to the HDHR CC3 (HDHomeRum Prime)