Android App and Samsung TV, no DRM channels

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ptmuldoon
Device ID: 131A3913

Android App and Samsung TV, no DRM channels

Post by ptmuldoon » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:57 am

I just purchased a used HomeRun Prime 3 and still new with using an HDhomerun in general, so not if something is wrong or not.

I have a Spectrum Cablecard installed along with a Tuning Adapter, and scanned all of my channels.

Here at home, on a Win10 laptop, I have the HomeRun app installed, and all channels show and I can watch various DRM such as espn, etc.

But now, on an android phone (Pixel 3) and android Tablet, all the channels show up but can't I can't watch any DRM channels. On my Pixel 3, the app crasheds when I try to watch a DRM channel. And the tablet tells me unable to play channel.

On my Samsung TV, the HDHomeRun shows up as input. and that also shows all the channels, but a DRM channel tells me no network connection. I can watch a non-DRM channel with it

So currently in the home, I can only watch on a Windows machine.

I have not tried on the Xbox, Roku, Shield or other devices yet but is this normal behavior? On a side note, with the Channels DVR app, I can see and watch all channels on my android phone and table just fine. But not with the HD HomeRun app?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Android App and Samsung TV, no DRM channels

Post by signcarver » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:00 am

What model (particularly year or letter such as K M N or R) samsung? Is it wired or using wifi?

What model tablet (many aren't certified)?

What OS version on phone as I seem to recall an issue that it was no longer "certified" after a firmware update but thought that was fixed?

Also note that DRM requires <7ms RTT (think ping and I really do believe that SD's mechanism of enforcement it is more like <5ms). Often going from wired to wireless (or moca) causes a delay that can show up as not meeting the policy for RTT. Often the more you have on your wifi network, the more likely the delay. On android there are also occasional issues of a "VPN gone wild" that for some reason messes up with DRM, in these cases removal of vpn may fix such... on occasion I have seen turning off the phone's cellular radio while keeping wifi on seems to help. I will also note that I currently have an issue with many of my android boxes that DRM channels will crash (and possibly some non-drm channels) if one enables access to early features... for me this seems to happen when I enable more than one prime and also when I turn on sending of diagnostics data it seems to affect the non-drm channels as well when there is more than one prime.

Xbox One should work just like a Windows 10 machine. Shield or other "real" Android TV devices should work particularly if wired (I always suggest to try wired first to help eliminate most network issues that may hinder viewing of DRM protected content). Roku will never work with DRM and even rarely works with cable even if the channel is not drm protected or even if clear.

Channels will not work with DRM but they have a workaround to use TVE rather than a prime. If it is actually using the prime to view such, than there is something wrong with the scan and is improperly showing it as being DRM as the tuner itself will have to enforce the drm protection if it pops up in real time. Things that can access DRM may fail if there are issues with device or network as they actually use DRM mechanisms to access the stream so any issue will kill such stream as it occurs.

ptmuldoon

Post by ptmuldoon » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:23 pm

signcarver wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:00 am
What model (particularly year or letter such as K M N or R) samsung? Is it wired or using wifi?

What model tablet (many aren't certified)?

What OS version on phone as I seem to recall an issue that it was no longer "certified" after a firmware update but thought that was fixed?

Also note that DRM requires <7ms RTT (think ping and I really do believe that SD's mechanism of enforcement it is more like <5ms). Often going from wired to wireless (or moca) causes a delay that can show up as not meeting the policy for RTT. Often the more you have on your wifi network, the more likely the delay. On android there are also occasional issues of a "VPN gone wild" that for some reason messes up with DRM, in these cases removal of vpn may fix such... on occasion I have seen turning off the phone's cellular radio while keeping wifi on seems to help. I will also note that I currently have an issue with many of my android boxes that DRM channels will crash (and possibly some non-drm channels) if one enables access to early features... for me this seems to happen when I enable more than one prime and also when I turn on sending of diagnostics data it seems to affect the non-drm channels as well when there is more than one prime.

Xbox One should work just like a Windows 10 machine. Shield or other "real" Android TV devices should work particularly if wired (I always suggest to try wired first to help eliminate most network issues that may hinder viewing of DRM protected content). Roku will never work with DRM and even rarely works with cable even if the channel is not drm protected or even if clear.

Channels will not work with DRM but they have a workaround to use TVE rather than a prime. If it is actually using the prime to view such, than there is something wrong with the scan and is improperly showing it as being DRM as the tuner itself will have to enforce the drm protection if it pops up in real time. Things that can access DRM may fail if there are issues with device or network as they actually use DRM mechanisms to access the stream so any issue will kill such stream as it occurs.
I am using a Samsung UN65K TV that is hard wired into my network. And on that all of the DRM channels say [drm] on the station and will not play.

For phone, its a Pixel 3 on the latest Android 10. Phone is not rooting and is running Stock Rom.

The android tablet is a little older, its a Samsung T800 with Lineage 14 (android 7) rom on it.

I'm just back home and gonna try out the Shield and Xbox, expecting both of those to work.

And Yep, I added Channels DVR and TVE and things work pretty well with that. But I should be able to the HDhomerun working better I think on these phone and table devices.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Hi,

Did you confirm DRM channels play on your Shield and your XBox?

Pixel Phone - please enable "send diagnostic information" in the app, then restart the app and post back with the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.

Nick

ptmuldoon

Post by ptmuldoon » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Straight from the device itself, the device id

Model: HDHR3-CC
Device: 131A3913
Firmware: 20190621

I'm currently out but will test the xbox and shield hopefully later tonight.

ptmuldoon

Post by ptmuldoon » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:05 pm

Just got back home.

No problems on both the Xbox One and Nvidia Shield. Both appear to be playing things properly.

The one strange thing I did notice is with MSG. On the Xbox, My MSG on channel 28 showed the station in Standard Def. But if I went higher into the guide in the 300's it showed it in HD. However, the Shield and my **** both show MSG in HD on channel 28.

But all the DRM content appears to be playing on a Windows laptop, Xbox One, and Nvidia shield. But they are not playing on a Pixel 3 with latest Android 10, An Android Tablet, or on my Samsung TV which shows it as a direct source.

If I have time tomorrow, I may try and upgrade the tablet if I can. Its a little older now, but still puts out a nice picture and don't want to up upgrading it just yet.

ptmuldoon

Post by ptmuldoon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:55 am

I wanted to check back and see if anyone had any suggestions on what to try.

To recap, I have an HDPrime 3, and have now upgraded it to the latest Beta firmware; 2019015beta1.

I can watch my DRM channels on a Shield TV, Windows 10 laptop, and Xbox One. Both the Shield Xbox are Cat5 hardwired, and the laptop is using wireless.

But I can not get any DRM channels on either my Android Tablet, Android Phone, and I also checked and not getting DRM channels on a Roku TV. All three of these shows the DRM channel for maybe a half second, and then either crashes (phone) or says its can't play the channel.

Any suggestions in changing a setting in the HDPrime or other to get these devices to work?

Separately, I thought the HDHomeRun would work on my son's older IPad2, yet it says the app is incompatible with his device?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:04 am

You will never get DRM channels from a cablecard on a roku. [removed by moderator]. Most major phones can work provided they are approved stock firmware and non-rooted (note that even google's official firmware updates sometimes trips this issue up as they don't update the database to include the checksum or whatever they use of the new images). I believe your K series TV should work (you may wish to specify the exact model number as that may have been a series that needed a minimum model# to support such) but I believe they need to update the keys every year and there are a number of things that can go wrong preventing DRM from working. I thought I read an article lately about DRM on K series not getting any more updates but can't find it at the moment... I know that older models will cease with other forms of DRM by the end of the year.

iOS devices I believe required a fairly recent minimum os level... the ipad 2 highest level was released about 5 years ago and didn't work well on it... it used to be stated in the forum but I don't believe such info was brought over to the info pages.

Another trick with android is to make sure location services are on. Also make sure your wifi is properly secured.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:07 am

Hi,

iOS devices running iOS 11 or newer are supported, complete with DRM support. (iOS 11 is when Apple added Metal GPU acceleration).

The Pixel 3 XL doesn't seem to be attempting DRM configuration at all which is odd. It should work.
Test - can you please clear app data (or uninstall and reinstall the app), then enable "send diagnostic information" before tuning a DRM channel.

Nick

ptmuldoon

Post by ptmuldoon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:29 am

Well that I guess answers possibly why not on Tablet at it is/was rooted a long time ago. And same for the older Ipad2. i had thought it should work on the Roku TV, but guess that is also just non-DRV channels.

But it should work on my Pixel 3 XL. This phone is not rooted and on latest November Android 10 updates. I've also started asking on the XDA forums if anyone has any ideas.

I did find DRM app to show what the phone is reporting and it showed me this, with an L1 security

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FodqH ... 1bisQ0RRQp

Edit, not sure how to insert an image on the forums.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:39 pm

The Pixel 3 XL isn't failing security checks, it isn't attempting. I haven't seen this before - will see if I can locate this model for further testing here.

Nick

ptmuldoon

Post by ptmuldoon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:56 pm

I just tried my wife's phone who has the Pixel 3. Installed the app on her phone and it worked fine.

The only main difference I can think of between the two phones is that my phone; the 3XL took the upgrade to Android 10. But we have held my wife's Pixel 3 back from taking the upgrade for a few reasons we don't like with 10 update (ie, right side back button, adaptive display issues, etc.) So her Pixel 3 is still on Android 9.

I may try and factory reset on my phone and see it helps and/or possible attempt to roll it back to 9. I know how to unlock the bootloader and do it, just haven't tried it yet on this phone and would need to backup several things first.

ptmuldoon

Post by ptmuldoon » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:17 pm

As an update.

I just completed a factory reset of my Pixel 3XL phone. First and only app installed was the HD HomeRun app and same result crashing on a HD channel. So not sure if its the Pixel 3 XL or possibly an Android 10 problem.

Thanks

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:25 pm

I am working to get a Pixel 3 or similar Android 10 device in house for testing.

Nick

ptmuldoon

Post by ptmuldoon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:59 am

nickk wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:25 pm
I am working to get a Pixel 3 or similar Android 10 device in house for testing.

Nick
Thanks and glad I'm not forgotten about.

Separately, is there a minimum Android version needed? I also unrooted my older Samsung T800 back to stock last night and the app tells me on the tablet it can't play the DRM channel. For that older tablet though, Android 6/marshmallow is the latest stock rom you can put it. I think I get a Lineage 15 Rom on that to try it on Oreo, but think I read the HD homerun app will not work on a rooted device?

I could probably roll back my Pixel 3XL to Android 9/Pie. I did it roll it back once before, but the let it update again and have stayed on 10.