Playing around with my Prime/CableCard and Plex and was pleasantly surprised to see the Live TV worked, but why?

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
Chupon

Playing around with my Prime/CableCard and Plex and was pleasantly surprised to see the Live TV worked, but why?

Post by Chupon » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:30 am

I was initially looking for a quick option to stream shows not being recorded at the moment, like live sports or something. I saw people mention the Channels app, but I was looking for something free. Silicon Dust doesn't have an HD Home Run app on Apple TV, right? Since I already use Plex for my films and playing back my recorded TV shows from WMC using the Prime that I've then converted using MCEBuddy, I decided to give Plex Live TV a try.

I added the tuners from my cable card and found I could stream channels live using my AppleTV, but why would this work? Is it just that those channels aren't encrypted? I haven't tried recording anything yet. FWIW I am on Comcast/Xfinity in the Chicago area.

For some reason I thought WMC/Silicondust were my only options to use the tuners. Did this change recently or have my channels always been accessible using live TV, just not recordings? I've been trying to find a way to get rid of WMC for recordings, can Plex replace this yet or am I jumping too far ahead?

Edit: Ok I tried a recording through Plex and it worked. Has this always been the case then and I just never tried it?

rpcameron

Re: Playing around with my Prime/CableCard and Plex and was pleasantly surprised to see the Live TV worked, but why?

Post by rpcameron » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:18 pm

Always been the case. I used MythTV and Tvheadend for years, now I am using Channels, with 3 Primes.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Playing around with my Prime/CableCard and Plex and was pleasantly surprised to see the Live TV worked, but why?

Post by NedS » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Comcast is one of the better cable TV providers to have if you are using a PRIME. I'm not always happy with Comcast, but I've got to give them credit where credit is due. They've done a good job supporting CableCARD (they actually have a support team for CC that knows what they're doing), and they only mark premium movie channels as DRM-restricted. Most channels should work fine through any third party player that can work with HDHomeRun devices.