Audio Issues in the Windows 10 Store App

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Kendog52361

Audio Issues in the Windows 10 Store App

Post by Kendog52361 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:18 pm

Basically, I've experienced an issue, several times now, where the spoken words drops out, it eventually comes back, but it takes a while. I first saw it a few days ago, during Game 5 of the ALDS, but I've experienced it twice today. Once, earlier, during the Wisconsin and MSU game, on BTN, it went to a game break in the studio, and when it came back, it had dropped the voice of the game broadcasters. The same earlier, during the Texas and Oklahoma, only it was gone throughout. The first 3 instances were on channels owned by Fox, and with the exception of Fox Broadcast, it was on channels that were DRMed. I'm now on ABC, it's not DRMed, but it's happening again.

As for what happens, exactly, I can hear game noise, like fans cheering, the Ref announcing things, and the commercials during commercial breaks, but I can't hear the broadcasters when they're talking. I don't have the DVR, and I saw, previously, about turning on/off something to do with AC3, but I can't find anything relating to that, in either the app, the desktop program, or the online control system.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Re: Audio Issues in the Windows 10 Store App

Post by foxbat121 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:49 pm

The settings page has been moved in new UI. With Win10 app, you press ESC key to go to the DVR screen (you don't have to have DVR) and top right corner is the settings icon. Click on that will bring out the settings. There you can turn on or off AC3 passthrough.

shawn_75

Post by shawn_75 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:42 pm

To help you better understand what is happening you need to know the difference between 5.1 audio and stereo. With stereo, there are only 2 speakers and the audio is generally well distributed between the two. With 5.1, the dialogue is usually all put on the center channel and none on the front left nor right. In your case, it seems that you physically have only stereo speakers available, but those two speakers are receiving front right and front left of 5.1. Can you describe your audio setup? Are you using a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver? Do you have a center channel speaker?

Kendog52361

Post by Kendog52361 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:48 pm

shawn_75 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:42 pm
To help you better understand what is happening you need to know the difference between 5.1 audio and stereo. With stereo, there are only 2 speakers and the audio is generally well distributed between the two. With 5.1, the dialogue is usually all put on the center channel and none on the front left nor right. In your case, it seems that you physically have only stereo speakers available, but those two speakers are receiving front right and front left of 5.1. Can you describe your audio setup? Are you using a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver? Do you have a center channel speaker?
I have a stereo sound setup, with literally only two speakers.

Kendog52361

Post by Kendog52361 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:52 pm

foxbat121 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:49 pm
The settings page has been moved in new UI. With Win10 app, you press ESC key to go to the DVR screen (you don't have to have DVR) and top right corner is the settings icon. Click on that will bring out the settings. There you can turn on or off AC3 passthrough.
I assume you're talking about the "gear icon". I clicked that, and had the following options, and no ability to scroll further to something else I can't see:

1. Account Information
2. Starting Page
3. Shrink for Television Screen
4. Control Master Volume Level
5. Send Diagnostic Information
6. Early Access to New Features

That's it, I can't scroll down past number 6, so I can't find where the sound thing is.

Edit: At the bottom right, it says Version 20191004b

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi,

The option to disable AC3 passthrough will only be displayed if your system supports AC3 passthrough.

Given you are not seeing the option you system must not be using AC3 passthrough.

Nick