Current User Interface

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
cqcq42

Current User Interface

Post by cqcq42 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:28 pm

With the end of Media Center Edition (MCE) Guide fast approaching, I am forced to rely on HDHomeRun's (HDHR) apps for recording.
The Win10 and Mac versions are working as is the older iOS version 10 (I have blocked Apple to prevent iOS11 and iOS12 updates.)
The Win7 version (which cannot record) is unusable on my Win7 computer - too much pixellation and stuttering to be watchable. The record engine is on my NAS, but MCE plays fine. I hope MCE at least still lets me watch Live TV on Win7.

My major complaint is with the guide (Discover). Most TV guide apps and print versions use a grid approach which has time on the horizontal and channels on the vertical. I realize whole generations have grown up clicking on icons, but the maxim about pictures and 1000 words is completely wrong in this case.
A grid with horizontal time (2 hours worth in MCE) and vertical channels is much more useful and informative than HDHR's "Now" view which does not even show what is ON now, but rather what is STARTING "now". If all your tuners have been allocated, it's useful to be able to see that and make changes as needed.
Compare
http://gregdunger.com/images/pictures/HDHR.png
vs.
http://gregdunger.com/images/pictures/MCE.png

In HDHR I can add a recording in a time slot where all tuners are already in use and I don't even get a warning. This can produce more than 1 failure to record.

I realize programmers will have a much bigger challenge in creating a grid view - it's relatively easy to just put up some icons - but the option to have either/or would be greatly appreciated.

Another option could be to record VCR style: Start Time, End Time, Day(s) of week, Once or Repeat. I do this in MCE for two reasons: one is to extend a recording beyond the listed end of a show. (The Simpsons is constantly being ruined by football OT.)
You can set the end buffer to be a long time, but there is no granularity so syndicated episodes which run back to back on the same channel, end up using multiple tuners for an hour each; the other is the opposite where I only record the first half hour of some shows. In both cases, I can live with files that are bigger than they have to be, but both cases can affect tuner allocation without VCR recording.

FYI: "<<" and ">>" are actually Skip Back and Skip Ahead, not Rewind and Fast Forward (Tool tips). Some programs have the option to specify those steps in seconds.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Current User Interface

Post by nickk » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:45 pm

cqcq42 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:28 pm
HDHR's "Now" view which does not even show what is ON now, but rather what is STARTING "now".
Hi,

The NOW group displays the shows which are currently playing across all channels.

Once you advance past NOW to a specific time it shows what is starting at that time.

Nick

cqcq42

Post by cqcq42 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:28 am

Assuming nothing else will be changed, will the bug about over-allocating tuners be fixed? When I added a fourth show in a "now" view which did not show the other three, I got no warning and a result of two shows not being recorded. Also, even though the Prime showed only two tuners in use, I could not watch live TV due to a message about all tuners in use.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:24 pm

cqcq42 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:28 pm
With the end of Media Center Edition (MCE) Guide fast approaching, I am forced to rely on HDHomeRun's (HDHR) apps for recording.
Have you tried EPG123, a replacement for Microsoft's WMC guide service? It requires a subscription to Schedules Direct, which isn't free but it's not expensive either. Its users say it provides a much better guide than Microsoft does currently.