Channel # remote entry on Android TV.

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Channel # remote entry on Android TV.

Post by thedoomster » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:59 am

This weekend instead of starting my connected PC, I decided to try using the Android TV app (early release) on my Sony 850C TV. I used the Sony remote to navigate and had a devil of a time getting a channel number entered. If I used the remote's numeric keys it would (slowly) enter the numbers into Search, but also raise the on-screen keyboard. I couldn't find a way to dismiss the on-screen keyboard or use the entered channel number to switch to the channel slice (or near to it).

Is there any key sequence I could use for this, or is it a bug? I did manage to get the channel entered once without the on-screen keyboard display, but can't reproduce the key sequence or timing to repeat it.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Channel # remote entry on Android TV.

Post by signcarver » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:05 pm

For me usually back turns off the on screen keyboard but you may wish to complete your entry there if it pops up as you may need to hit that return key on the on screen keyboard. If I can do things fast enough, I don't see the keyboard pop up.

sbm7815

Post by sbm7815 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:44 pm

I'm having tons of problems with this as well. I use a Harmony remote with the Shield, which is programmed to enter number keys and the Enter key from a "Windows PC". In the past, I could just hit the numbers and the enter key to switch stations, but after a recent update this no longer works correctly. When I open the app and then punch in a channel, the numbers appear, but hitting enter on the remote or "Done" on the on-screen keyboard does not work. I have to hit back to get out of it and then enter it in a second time before it will accept the enter or Done commands. The second problem is if you don't do it fast enough, it will highlight the letter T on the on-screen keyboard and enter that when you hit enter, which also means no channel change. In short, it's annoying to try to change channels with numbers. I didn't have these issues previously, but was able to reproduce it on all of my Shield TV's.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:37 pm

sbm7815 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:44 pm
I'm having tons of problems with this as well. I use a Harmony remote with the Shield, which is programmed to enter number keys and the Enter key from a "Windows PC". In the past, I could just hit the numbers and the enter key to switch stations, but after a recent update this no longer works correctly. When I open the app and then punch in a channel, the numbers appear, but hitting enter on the remote or "Done" on the on-screen keyboard does not work. I have to hit back to get out of it and then enter it in a second time before it will accept the enter or Done commands. The second problem is if you don't do it fast enough, it will highlight the letter T on the on-screen keyboard and enter that when you hit enter, which also means no channel change. In short, it's annoying to try to change channels with numbers. I didn't have these issues previously, but was able to reproduce it on all of my Shield TV's.
It's sending the keyboard enter key instead of "d-pad center", which is what Android TV is normally expecting. I believed it changed with one of the Shield updates.

sbm7815

Post by sbm7815 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:47 pm

NedS wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:37 pm
It's sending the keyboard enter key instead of "d-pad center", which is what Android TV is normally expecting. I believed it changed with one of the Shield updates.
The D-pad center or "OK" doesn't work at all anymore. It inputs T from the on-screen keyboard and I can't change channels. Using the Enter key got me around that problem for a long time, but now this no longer works either unless I back out of the number entry once or twice. Usually by the second or third try it will accept the enter key, but the "OK" button on the Shield remote or the on-screen Done button no longer works with the new UI. It's too bad there wasn't a way to prevent the on-screen keyboard from coming up when using the HD app.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:54 pm

sbm7815 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:47 pm
NedS wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:37 pm
The D-pad center or "OK" doesn't work at all anymore. It inputs T from the on-screen keyboard and I can't change channels. Using the Enter key got me around that problem for a long time, but now this no longer works either unless I back out of the number entry once or twice. Usually by the second or third try it will accept the enter key, but the "OK" button on the Shield remote or the on-screen Done button no longer works with the new UI. It's too bad there wasn't a way to prevent the on-screen keyboard from coming up when using the HD app.
What I mean is, the input signal is called d-pad center. The Harmony is emulating a keyboard, and Google stupidly made it so that only "d-pad center" works rather than "enter/return". It used to work with enter/return. So the real physical center/select button is currently sending the "enter/return" command, but it needs to send the d-pad center command.

I'll see if I can find out how to exactly set it up that way in the harmony software.

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Post by thedoomster » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:51 am

@ signcarver, I managed to get to the entered number by using the Back button on the Sony remote to close the popup keyboard. I thought I tried that before but it closed the entire slice display, maybe I hit it twice by mistake. Then of course I still have to arrow down to the actual slice first before hitting Ok. Very hard to time it right now since it is so slow to respond to the remote. I believe these are known issues already (SD?). I have not been able to enter the number quickly enough to avoid the keyboard popup. I may check the Sony settings see if I can suppress the keyboard display. Also I have no Enter key on the keyboard, only Done which is ignored by the Ok button if I navigate to it.