Importing Recordings

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
Griffo

Importing Recordings

Post by Griffo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:43 am

So I have a bunch of old recordings that I want to Import to the DVR engine. Yes I know it's not officially supported but it seems that many other people have done this without an issue.

I've set up a job using MCEBuddy to convert the recordings into the appropriate HDHR format using it's built in HDHR profiles. They're in the required MPG format.

I've dropped the files in the recording directory in the same folder structure convention. But the record engine just ignores them.

I'm running the Linux DVR engine 0.0.20190815beta1-1 on Debian. I've cloned the permissions from a HDHR created directory to all of the imported ones just to ensure there's no permissions issues.

The logs aren't particularly useful, is there a way to turn on debugging?

goofnroxx

Re: Importing Recordings

Post by goofnroxx » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:08 am

Your files are likely missing the metadata required to the DVR to see them as valid files.

This thread has some scripts and information that might be able to help you out. viewtopic.php?f=125&t=68701

Word of caution though, getting the correct metadata for the files may be tricky, especially if your shows are old and no longer being played.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:33 pm

Griffo wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:43 am
So I have a bunch of old recordings that I want to Import to the DVR engine. Yes I know it's not officially supported but it seems that many other people have done this without an issue.

I've set up a job using MCEBuddy to convert the recordings into the appropriate HDHR format using it's built in HDHR profiles. They're in the required MPG format.

I've dropped the files in the recording directory in the same folder structure convention. But the record engine just ignores them.

I'm running the Linux DVR engine 0.0.20190815beta1-1 on Debian. I've cloned the permissions from a HDHR created directory to all of the imported ones just to ensure there's no permissions issues.

The logs aren't particularly useful, is there a way to turn on debugging?
You might need to restart the DVR to pick up converted recordings. MCEBUDDY writes the metadata.... Also you have to make sure they are in a Sub Directory with the title.

Griffo

Post by Griffo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:01 am

Thanks. I found the logs did actually indicate it was in fact a Metadata problem which i've managed to resolve. Alas i've also learnt that MPG doesn't support chapters and as comskip is just not accurate enough here to commit to cutting ads, I may have to rethink using HDHR entirely.

Cheers