Repack Rescan

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
vttom

Repack Rescan

Post by vttom » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:13 am

So one of my local TV stations aired a PSA that their broadcast frequency would be changing at the end of October '19. (presumably due to FCC repack)

IIRC, the HDHR Connect will periodically automatically rescan. Does it rescan often enough that the frequency changeover will be unnoticeable to me? Or should I plan to manually rescan when the changeover happens? I mainly DVR everything and don't often watch things live. So if it doesn't rescan, I might go several days before I notice the changeover and miss some recordings.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Repack Rescan

Post by NedS » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:23 pm

I believe it does a background scan every day and a half, assuming the tuners aren't busy at the time it tries to scan.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Repack Rescan

Post by jasonl » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:48 pm

The background scan runs on average every 3 days, but the actual logic has it picking a random time within the 24 hour window centered on that (so it could be any time from 12 hours before to 12 hours after) so that it runs at different times of day and won't risk getting completely blocked by a recording that always happens at a specific time. The current phase is scheduled to end on the 18th, and stations have until 11:59pm to make the switch, so you're probably best of running one scan before primetime on Friday night and then another one Saturday morning.