HD HomeRun Android App stopped working

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
martinmarty

HD HomeRun Android App stopped working

Post by martinmarty » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:54 pm

I have been using the HD HomeRun Android app on a T95ZPlus Android TV box for a couple years. Today the app will no longer start. Previously I would click on the app icon and there would be a screen where it would search for HD HomeRun tuners, find mine, then start playing the last channel I was watching. As of today, I click the icon and just get a black/blank screen that sits there forever, no text, no app, no error, no feedback of any kind. I have tried going to Android Apps and doing a Force Stop and restarting, no improvement. I have uninstalled the app, rebooted Android, re-installed HD HomeRun app and there is no improvement. I don't know what else to try.

The network connection to the Android box is fine - other apps work and access Internet and local network resources.

Android is 7.1.2 and I cannot update it because there are no updates available from the hardware manufacturer.

It seems I saw somewhere in my investigation that the HD HomeRun app had updated on Sept. 2 or 3 (not sure but it was recently). I don't know if I had been able to use the most recent version or not because I usually leave the Android box powered on so it could have been up for weeks. I think I did reboot it yesterday to free up memory, so it is possible that the reboot brought in the new version of HD HomeRun app for the first time.

The only thing I can think to try is to get an older copy of the APK and see if I can get back to a version that used to work.

This is kind of important to me because the TV in wuestion has no tuner so the only way it can get TV channels is via HD HomeRun.

Any advice or info appreciated.

Thanks,
-Marty

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Re: HD HomeRun Android App stopped working

Post by leerandall » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:36 pm

I've had this happen often with my Shield, where all I get is a black screen when I stop the app, then restart it in order to load a new UI version. And a new non-early-access release was made earlier today, version 20190911b. Usually when I get a black screen trying to load a new UI version, I force-stop/clear cache the app, then wait an hour or two before trying to start the app again. It will usually come up then. The timing may be different for different folks, but an hour or two usually works for me.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:04 pm

@martinmarty, please let us know if your app has begun working by now. Leerandall's answer of just waiting a while very well could be the correct one. For some reason whenever there's an update, some people seem to get hit with this bug, and we're still investigating why.

martinmarty

Post by martinmarty » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:34 pm

Thank you for your replies.

Today it worked on the first try!

Must be the same thing you were telling me about.

@Lee, I also have a Shield on another TV but have not encountered this, so thanks for the warning.

Thanks again,
-Marty