Win32 View app on Win 10

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
SiliconeScott

Win32 View app on Win 10

Post by SiliconeScott » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:49 am

Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find it.

Can someone please tell me a) what the latest Win32 (non UWP) version of the View app is, and b) how can I get it on a Win 10 machine? Yes, I'm aware the Win32 app hasn't been updated for a while. The Win 7/8 install file just won't install the old Win32 View app on a Win 10 machine no matter what I do and some of the releases actually delete the View app that was already there and working.

shawn_75

Re: Win32 View app on Win 10

Post by shawn_75 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:37 pm

Have you tried right clicking the installer and setting compatibility mode to Windows 7? Also right click and run as administrator after you set compatibility mode. That's probably about all you could try.

SiliconeScott

Post by SiliconeScott » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:27 am

I've tried all that and more. Knowing the latest version number would at least let me know where I should look, though I can't even figure out where in the app a version number is listed.

I love the HDHR hardware but have been continuously disappointed with the software.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:10 am

The old Win32 View app went end-of-life a long time ago and is not supported on Windows 10. The UWP HDHomeRun app has all the features of the old Win32 app and many more improvements.

Perhaps if you can explain why you are looking to install the old Win32 View app we can help with other solutions.

We recommend installing the HDHomeRun UWP app for Windows 10.

Nick

SiliconeScott

Post by SiliconeScott » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:34 am

To start out with, the UWP app currently won't run at all, though that's probably related to an issue with the Microsoft Store which seems convinced that it should mess up and make things overly complicated. Win32 apps have no such problem and maybe that's why MS is giving up on UWP, but that's a completely different topic.

Putting that aside, the other big thing that I can recall at the moment (I haven't run the UWP app much and it's been a while) is that the Win32 app is simply more usable. I don't want the guide data. It's not useful for me and it takes up valuable real estate. At least the Win32 app had the good sense to shrink the channel list when it couldn't populate the guide info. Instead of 6 channels showing on screen I can see 16. The last time I had the UWP app running it would show a big blank box and the PSIP ID in big text even when it wasn't necessary. If that's been fixed I'd certainly like to know.

Suggestions?