UI ver. 0814 (early access) crashing

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
jasonl
Silicondust

Re: UI ver. 0814 (early access) crashing

Post by jasonl » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:18 pm

A double tap of the volume slider is play/pause on the Shield, or you can use the play/pause button in the Android TV app on a phone or tablet.

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:13 pm

jasonl wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:18 pm
A double tap of the volume slider is play/pause on the Shield, or you can use the play/pause button in the Android TV app on a phone or tablet.
On my Shield, the first tap on the volume slider on the remote throws the error screen as described in my first post. On my Android phone, one touch of the live TV screen to pull up the play/pause button also throws the error screen.

poidog

Post by poidog » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:20 pm

I am getting exactly the same thing. Use the up or down arrows to change channel and crashes. last channel tuned still works. back button works.
This is on an amazon firestick with remote. My regular remote on apple tv is ok. Seems to be the android one on the firestick. Started a couple days ago.

poidog

Post by poidog » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:28 pm

on my firestick, I just now went into manage applications and went to HomeRun and did a “clear data” and I’m back to normal. I can change channels again.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:57 am

nateb wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:54 pm
Signcarver pointed to what we think the issue is. With lazy loading, you literally just don't load elements of the UI that are off the screen which speeds up loading, and if the app tries to start loading a channel that's off the default starting list, it may be causing problems. We also are not able to replicated the int thing, but can replicate the loading thing. Hopefully a fix for one will be a fix for both.

Devs are on it!
Nateb: Though by now developers probably have had enough data to figure out the same, I now have been able to replicate the behavior for the "int thing" (sorry about posting it twice but after I posted I remembered you made the above statement and thought I should give a more direct reply).

It turns out this happens if one exits the app on a DRM channel and that is the first channel displayed live on launching (directly in live tv... I had not tried it if recordings is the start page) any key press other than back that would bring up the overlay guide would cause such crash. At that point, back will exit the app. One can relaunch, which tunes such channel again and the first key pressed can be back then they can choose to view a program on a non-drm channel through discover/watch now. Once there the overlay/slice works (with the same issues of having to first get to slice to use it). They can even tune to a DRM channel at that point and it should continue to work until they exit while tuned to a DRM channel. If one exits while tuned to a non-drm channel, the "int thing" doesn't seem to pop up (or at least I have never seen such).

leerandall

Post by leerandall » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:01 pm

While that may be your experience, signcarver, on my Shield (which is also my DVR), it has nothing to do with DRM. My original report in my first post of this thread is still my experience. I can't even turn off "early access" because I can't get to it due to any keypress kicking me to the black error screen with the list of "in ??". I can only watch the last channel I was watching when the UI ver. 0814 was first loaded last week. And I'm damn sure not going to either re-install the app or clear the app's data since this is my DVR. I'm stuck on MSNBC until a new release with a fix is made available to us. As a matter of fact, I expected a fix by the time I returned from a long weekend away today. I'm extremely disappointed there is not a fix yet.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:23 pm

Like I said, it is the only way I can replicate it... is the DVR of your shield working and does it have enough disk space as one difference when it comes up on a DRM channel, is that it doesn't use the DVR for live play.

Your original post stated you could hit back... from there you should be able to get to the gear to turn off early access and/or hit play/pause 13/26 times.

Though it doesn't help you now, I have always been against using a shield as the DVR as anything more than a novelty... I would reevaluate such if the DVR was a separate app and that may even allow such to be used on the current my cloud homes which run a headless android. But I believe "all" android apps need data cleared once in awhile and/or reinstall and until such doesn't delete recordings, I would still probably decide not to go with that as the DVR.

leerandall

Post by leerandall » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:39 pm

The DVR continues to work well on the Shield with lots of storage. I can use Kodi to play the content on my Win7 machine. It's the UI ver. 0814 that is buggy. When I hit the back or home key, it exits the HDHR app back to the Shield's home screen. And while watching live TV, after a couple of volume slider taps (trying to tap 13 times to get to the menu), it throws the error screen. Any navigation of OK button presses also throws the error as well.

Using the Shield as my DVR has been great, except when issues like this pop up and the only way around said issue is to either uninstall/re-install the app or to clear the app's data. I'm not doing that any more. Been there, done that.

Also note that I have only a handful of DRM channels and I don't watch any of them. DRM is not involved with my issue at all. Your mileage may vary.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:10 pm

I only get the exit when I hit back when on the error screen, not when I hit back from playing video (of course if I hit back again (a couple more times) it exits). I'm just trying to get you back to a usable system on the older (non-early) UI... I know on my shield I would have to clear cache occasionally to get it to correctly "see" the DVR again but I have 5-6 DVR engines running so it did usually use one of them for live. Since I think this might take awhile to get fixed, if you wish to try and get to turning off early access, you may need to clear cache, launch the app, hit back, and try to navigate to the gear.

Also are you on the latest version of the app and/or updated the shield as I thought you were on the latest a few weeks ago but there was an issue with the DVR and the shield update that got fixed with an update to the app. At this time I am tending to think it is along the lines of using the DVR or not.

I was only able to reproduce if on a non-drm channel if I turned off all my DVR engines and viewed a channel from my prime... however was not able to reproduce if I was last tuned to a channel on my quatros... incidentally the quatros and servio (as well as other engines) have been updated to the latest 20190815 beta (which there was no announcement or changelog of) while it did not update the prime firmware... once DVR was back on, I was not able to reproduce when on a non-drm channel of the prime. Unlike the DRM test, I have only confirmed this could be reproduced at one location, not the 4 different locations I used to replicate the issue when DRM was involved... which was my main reason for posting as they "needed" a way to replicate. I guess my next test would be to try an older version of the DVR on one of my NAS's and see if it does such when tuned to a non-drm prime channel and/or even the quatro.

Edit: just tried and as long as I clicked the trash can to remove the servio (so it didn't take me to account screen first) and restart, I can get the error on older versions of the DVR Engine (but not on 20190815beta1) when tuned to a non-drm prime channel but still can't get it to do it on quatros that are on the most recent beta even with the older engine.
Last edited by signcarver on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leerandall

Post by leerandall » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:22 pm

My Shield's RECORD engine is 20190801. I update the app/RECORD whenever a new non-beta release becomes available in the play store. However, I normally keep "early access" turned on for UI betas as they come out. Sometimes I have to force-stop the app and clear its cache for the new UI to load, and other times a new UI version will load without jumping through those hoops.

leerandall

Post by leerandall » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:30 am

I got the new UI ver. 0820 this morning and it's no longer throwing the error when I press any button on the remote as it was doing with 0814. However, I still can't change channels because the selection highlight keeps jumping over to the transport control bar at the bottom whenever I try to change channels and I can't get the selection highlight back to the slice in order to change channels. But I CAN get to the settings gear now, so I've turned off "early access" and am now back to the usable 0806 UI version.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:40 am

Can you guys check again this morning? We've pushed 0820 to early access. It doesn't look like it's fixing the loading problem, but may fix the crash problem.

edit: Just saw Leer's post. Progress!

leerandall

Post by leerandall » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:18 am

Progress indeed. But since I turned off "early access" to be able to change channels, would you let us know when you push the next UI beta so I can try it, please? Thanks.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:25 am

leerandall wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:18 am
Progress indeed. But since I turned off "early access" to be able to change channels, would you let us know when you push the next UI beta so I can try it, please? Thanks.
Yep, I'll likely bump this thread in particular while we're working on these dual problems.