Channels changing frequencies: are channel scans necessary on Connect?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
cncb

Channels changing frequencies: are channel scans necessary on Connect?

Post by cncb » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:37 am

A few channels are changing frequencies in my market (DC) due to the so-called "repack". This includes WRC (the NBC affiliate) which unfortunately I am missing some recordings due to a temporary weak signal until things switch over at the end of the month. The slice guide has started showing the channel as "Unknown" but with the correct programs. My question is do I need to do a channel scan early next month or does the Connect just pick up the changes automatically? I have never done a channel scan before. Thanks.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Channels changing frequencies: are channel scans necessary on Connect?

Post by signcarver » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:02 am

Eventually it should pick it up... on the day it happens you may not want to wait for such to happen.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:29 am

cncb wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:37 am
which unfortunately I am missing some recordings due to a temporary weak signal until things switch over at the end of the month.
In order to (safely) do work on transmitter facilities, often the broadcasters will either move to their backup transmitters, and/or reduce power. These changes can even include other broadcasters not themselves changing that share the same antenna facility. This can be a complex construction scheduling activity. Most stations announce such things, but unless you are proactively looking for the information, you can easily miss it.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:33 pm

The HDHomeRun automatically runs background scans about every 3 days, so it will pick up the changes on its own. If you have any recordings scheduled on the day of the change or in the days after, you may want to manually rescan.