Servio as default

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
rrussis82

Servio as default

Post by rrussis82 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:21 pm

I got my Servio in and installed. I also have a Synolgy NAS with Demonriks SPK running. how would I set this up to use the Servio as my default recording and still view my previous recordings from the NAS? I would like to record all new shows to the Servio until it gets filled up then use the NAS as the backup recorder.

Second question. How do I point the recordings from the Servio in Plex?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Servio as default

Post by signcarver » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:37 pm

There is no "default" though has been stated to usually prefer the one with most space.. you can limit the number of streams to an engine.. on the NAS you could set such to 0 to not record but then it wouldn't be a backup to record.

As for plex, most likely you won't as there are no files "exposed" to plex, it would require some type of plugin to retrieve the recorded_files.json (you might be able to set up a playlist that plex could access more easily if it supports such but it is possible such links can grow stale. At some point SD may have it (any engine) show up for dlna, but last I heard that would be awhile if at all.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:43 pm

not being able to map to a Plex library or and Emby library is a deal breaker for me.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:53 pm

rrussis82 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:43 pm
not being able to map to a Plex library or and Emby library is a deal breaker for me.
I coulda swore, when this was announced at CES Ted said we would be able to play the content in Plex.

Edit. just checked the Lon interview with Ted at CES 2019 and Ted stated you can point Plex at the Servio at the 13:40 mark... and a the 12:45 ststed we could make on the record engine the primary to record to, also at 13:10 stated we could do file transfer and be viewed on the network with file sharing built in.

So since these are not true, will they eventually? these were some selling points for me to buy the Servio.
Last edited by rrussis82 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:02 pm

Nothing "prevents" such... the issue is the servio or scribe is not a NAS so the "only" way to access from that is to get the file via http using the link in the json...

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:03 pm

rrussis82 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:53 pm
rrussis82 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:43 pm
I coulda swore, when this was announced at CES Ted said we would be able to play the content in Plex.

Edit. just checked the Lon interview with Ted at CES 2019 and Ted stated you can point Plex at the Servio at the 13:40 mark... and a the 12:45 ststed we could make on the record engine the primary to record to, also at 13:10 stated we could do file transfer and be viewed on the network with file sharing built in.

So since these are not true, will they eventually? these were some selling points for me to buy the Servio.
I think point being made about Plex in the interview that it can be done on a technical level (even right now, the HTTP API can access all of the recordings and do all sorts of neat stuff), and we plan on working with any of our third party partners who want to take advantage of existing API access.

On top of that, we are evaluating other connection methods that might make it more protocol/API/database-agnostic to access everything. The easiest way to do that would be a standard file sharing protocol, but if we go down that path there are lots of considerations. Security, CPU-overhead, stability of the system, OS compatibility, and a lot more. We might just keep it HTTP based, but look for an easier interface to grab recordings in different situations, or be able to easily place/migrate recordings from one HDHR DVR to another. It's all a bit above my head as far as developing goes (where I understand the basics, but don't speak the language), but the internal conversation is still ongoing about this and many other SCRIBE/SERVIO things.

Just understand that any additional features added later, if they are added, need to be in service to the DVR functionality, and must not hinder the DVR functionality. There are a lot of really great ideas out there that we also want to try, but the biggest draw for something like a SERVIO is that it's an easy plug-in-play version of what people were doing with their larger NAS devices or PCs. There's going to be a balancing act and we won't be able to do everything for everyone, but don't forget that we are still going to support the more 'DIY/OYO-hardware" HDHR DVR devices. One way or another, I hope all users find a good fit with an options we provide.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:56 pm

NedS, In the video, Ted just acknowledges and says yes to all of Lon's questions and insinuated that we would have all functionality on these devices as we do with any other device running the recording engine. He specifically mentions you can point them to Plex much like you can do "today" (prior to Servio release)

https://youtu.be/zHlHvhaXqz8?t=12m watch from 12:00 to 13:42.

I have been a supporter of SiliconDust and promoted their product, but at this time I feel like a bait and switch. Most of the selling points for me turned up false. I now don't want to use it because I cannot view the recordings on them when I am not home via Plex. I pretty much paid $150 for an additional year subscription valued at $35.

I would feel much better about this if it were at least a planned future feature that just didn't make the release date, or if there were plans to allow the content to be viewed outside of the network. Or if any future interviews are conducted with Nickk who has much more knowledge of how the systems work so false information doesn't get out there.