WMC can't find CableCard

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
brianm

WMC can't find CableCard

Post by brianm » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:40 am

I've had a WMC 7 + Prime set-up for 6 or 7 years with few problems. I upgraded to mesh wifi hardware, which during the process broke my very old cable modem. So I've got a fresh cable modem and Netgear Orbi Wifi and internet is perfect in my house... except for Windows Media Center.

In switching over, the connection to the Prime was lost. I know all the hardware is set up because the HD Homerun View software works fine. The Prime software prompted me to update, so I did and now have the latest HD Homerun application which lets me view all three tuners with my CableCard perfectly.

The problem is that WMC insists that I need to get an insert a CableCard in the TV SetUp. Since I have it working in Windows itself (just not WMC), I know it's not a physical problem with hardware not being connected. Furthermore, the Digital Tuner Diagnostics in WMC shows that I have a CableCard inserted for each of the three tuners.

I've tried rebooting the computer a few times, but that doesn't seem to help.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: WMC can't find CableCard

Post by jasonl » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:13 am

Did you go in and set the network as private/home network? Windows will default to marking a new network as public, which interferes with device discovery.

brianm

Re: WMC can't find CableCard

Post by brianm » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:20 pm

That was the fix. Thank you so much for being wiser than the Windows developers (who probably could have done that networking check).