Split thread - bitminer

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
bitminer

Split thread - bitminer

Post by bitminer » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:20 pm

Does not work. I must have Samsung TV and or Visio Sound bar that does not support the superduper Dolby Digital or AC3 audio over HDMI and god forbid they could just send it in mono or that 1980s Dolby digital.... sigh. Hey good news is at least I don't have to scramble for the mute button when those blaring Coke, google Pixel, or Apple iPhone commercials start blaring on the TV.

I still would like Silicon Dust to get with the program and get their NAS support fixed. It's just god awful to have to ssh into my NAS every reboot, powerdown, or techno burp and restart the hdhomerunrecord script, but I know I am just asking for too much... and hey I should really like doing this cuz its just fun sshing and cding arround on my NAS to get thier little terd app to run.

Keep up the "good work" Silicon Dust! ... oh yeah... that's in quotes.

rrussis82

Re: HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Post by rrussis82 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:35 pm

[removed by moderator]

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:01 pm

bitminer wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:20 pm
Does not work. I must have Samsung TV and or Visio Sound bar that does not support the superduper Dolby Digital or AC3 audio over HDMI and god forbid they could just send it in mono or that 1980s Dolby digital.... sigh. Hey good news is at least I don't have to scramble for the mute button when those blaring Coke, google Pixel, or Apple iPhone commercials start blaring on the TV.

I still would like Silicon Dust to get with the program and get their NAS support fixed. It's just god awful to have to ssh into my NAS every reboot, powerdown, or techno burp and restart the hdhomerunrecord script, but I know I am just asking for too much... and hey I should really like doing this cuz its just fun sshing and cding arround on my NAS to get thier little terd app to run.

Keep up the "good work" Silicon Dust! ... oh yeah... that's in quotes.
There's not much we can do about the audio. HDHomeRun units send the original broadcast audio, unmodified, to the client. Roku clients (aside from the ones built into TVs) don't decode the two broadcast format options for audio, so it's up to the TV hardware or external audio hardware to do it.

Despite the rude remarks, I sympathize with the NAS comment. We are evaluating better NAS package support. Having customers SSH into their NAS is one of the least user-friendly things we could ask them to do. However, that's off topic for this thread, but do know that we are doing actual good work to improve our products, including the DVR software.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:39 am

NedS wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:01 pm
We are evaluating better NAS package support.
Improvements would be welcome. For those NAS vendors that offer an app store, there is a well understood path forward(*)(**). For those NAS devices that replace their root file system at upgrades, and/or use something like overlayfs with a tmp filesystem for operation, well, good luck with that (too many variants that are extremely fragile to support to write config/updates to persistent store (and while one device might be doable, dozens gets extremely difficult quickly as each is a special case). And, of course, there are the user contributed packaging for the higher end NASs and full Linux OSs. FWIW, it would also be nice to see a Apple app store app for the record engine on macOS for integrated updates (but then you probably have to create a system preferences panel to manage it). In any case, moving forward, the servio/scribe is clearly the way forward for those looking for low maintenance DVR storage.

Good luck.

(*) Even if the work can be annoying and time consuming to go through the various processes.

(**) And all the way back to the kickstarter, I seem to recall a suggestion that once the record_engine got a bit further towards gold that SD was likely going to do that for (say) WD and Seagate, both of which had SDKs to do so.

bitminer

Post by bitminer » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:45 pm

[removed by moderator]

bitminer

Post by bitminer » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:11 pm

NedS wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:01 pm
There's not much we can do about the audio. HDHomeRun units send the original broadcast audio, unmodified, to the client. Roku clients (aside from the ones built into TVs) don't decode the two broadcast format options for audio, so it's up to the TV hardware or external audio hardware to do it.

Despite the rude remarks, I sympathize with the NAS comment. We are evaluating better NAS package support. Having customers SSH into their NAS is one of the least user-friendly things we could ask them to do. However, that's off topic for this thread, but do know that we are doing actual good work to improve our products, including the DVR software.
Who is We? Is we SD? If so does not SD make HDHomeRun. If so there is this thing called transcoding. Also I have this NAS sitting there ready and waiting ... er well once I ssh into it and startup the hdhomerun script... but yeah we have covered that. And the NAS ... you know does that wondrous transcoding thing... it's like built in. Now call me crazy, but if the SD HDHR app could talk to the QNAP nas... you know that thingy that is really good at trascoding... maybe just maybe it could stream transcoded audio to my Samsung TV say like it does for the roku DNLA app which DOES!!! work on my Samsung TV and sound bar streamed from the QNAP NAS. Or build transcoding into the HDHomeRun (maybe rethink that "unmodified" say if server/HDHomeRun can determine what Client/Roku is attaching and transcode using the DSP) Though I am certain the SD guys have figured this one out.... again... sigh. I am also certain that in the future with the robots their will be a marvelous product released what will work with all the existing hardware out their without having to upgrade my sound bar, TV, surround sound system, dvd player, and coffee pot.... or at least that is what the SD packaging will say.

This reminds me of the "universal remote" that was universal until the streaming media players and sound bars came out... well back to my remote controls duck-taped to my particle board. This is the current state of the state of the art of technology. Note I say art of technology and not science of technology. I mean who want's audio anyway?

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:51 pm

[removed by moderator]

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Split thread - bitminer

Post by nickk » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:51 pm

bitminer wrote:
Does not work. I must have Samsung TV and or Visio Sound bar that does not support the superduper Dolby Digital or AC3 audio over HDMI and god forbid they could just send it in mono or that 1980s Dolby digital.... sigh.
Vizio sound bars have Dolby Digital support so you should be good - we are happy to work with you to figure out how to make it work.

First, try changing the Roku audio setting to Dolby Digital rather than Auto. If that doesn't get you sound please post the model of Vizio sound bar and some information on how it is connected.

Side note - Dolby Digital was first released in the early 90s. The audio format used by broadcast TV in the US is the same Dolby Digital from back then. The Roku passes the Dolby Digital audio to the TV / audio device to process.
bitminer wrote:
You should not need to ssh into your NAS to make things work.

If it is a WDC NAS (excluding MyCloud Home) our NAS Installer will automatically install the right app package and configure the HDHomeRun record engine to start automatically.

There are also app packages for Qnap.

For other brands of NAS devices the NAS Installer will try to install and start the HDHomeRun record engine via SSH. You don't need to SSH into the NAS - it all happens automatically.