New Android 9 Q box for prime.

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
crashnburn

New Android 9 Q box for prime.

Postby crashnburn » Thu May 16, 2019 12:55 pm

With DRM never being resolved on firetv I took a shot at this box.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2290365003 Is anyone familiar with this? I've seen a bunch by different names that all look the same. I just want to stream my DRM channels from my prime box. Seems a steal for $15 vs the prices on Amazon. Hope it works.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: New Android 9 Q box for prime.

Postby jasonl » Thu May 16, 2019 1:02 pm

There is basically zero chance that device will work for DRM content. It quite clearly isn't running Android TV and therefore it isn't Google certified. I'm not aware of a single device that ships from China that is Google-certified.

crashnburn

Postby crashnburn » Thu May 16, 2019 1:13 pm

I think it came in today. I'll know soon enough. Thanks.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Thu May 16, 2019 2:40 pm

If it has arrived please post what works and what doesn't. Will be interesting to see what the box really is.

Nick

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Thu May 16, 2019 7:39 pm

Your least expensive option for DRM is to pickup a MiBox from Walmart.

crashnburn

Postby crashnburn » Fri May 17, 2019 5:09 am

The tracking number was for a different delivery. I will post my results on whether the box works when I get it.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Fri May 17, 2019 5:32 pm

There is basically zero chance that device will work for DRM content.
Neither zero nor one are achievable numbers for future possibilities (since the Infinite Improbability Drive might exist(*)(**)).
I'm not aware of a single device that ships from China that is Google-certified.
Given that many of the mainstream products (including the MiBox, and I strongly suspect the nVidia Shield) are manufactured in China, I am guessing you are using shorthand for "ships from China" to mean "off brand Chinese manufacturer crap", which is really a different thing.

(*) Although it is highly improbable, since it cannot be proven not to exist, it might (although with a low probability, but not zero :-)).

(**) For others that do not get the reference, go read the Hitchhikers books.
Last edited by gtb on Sat May 18, 2019 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

techpro2004

Postby techpro2004 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:14 pm

To quote the bowl of petunias "Oh no, not again!"

crashnburn

Postby crashnburn » Sat May 18, 2019 11:10 am

I know I took a big risk even though I already read here the best options are the mibox and shield TV. I picked up xboxes on the past for 2 bedrooms yet the kids never watch tv. I was trying this for our bedroom even though I never really watch tv while in bed. That's why I went cheap. I will still post my results when it gets here on the slow boat from China. Thanks

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sat May 18, 2019 4:14 pm

Given that many of the mainstream products (including the MiBox, and I strongly suspect the nVidia Shield) are manufactured in China, I am guessing you are using shorthand for "ships from China" to mean "off brand Chinese manufacturer crap", which is really a different thing.
I chose the phrasing specifically to distinguish between devices that are imported to the US by the company whose name is on the box and sold via normal retail channels (Shield, MiBox S, Jetstream), vs. devices that are shipped directly from China (as the OP's was), or are purchased from China by some random company and resold here (for those who don't want to wait on the boat). Brand names aren't a reliable indicator, as Xiaomi has the 2 certified devices (MiBox 3 US edition and MiBox S), but then also had multiple others that weren't certified.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sat May 18, 2019 6:58 pm

I chose the phrasing specifically to distinguish between devices that are imported to the US by the company whose name is on the box and sold via normal retail channels (Shield, MiBox S, Jetstream), vs. devices that are shipped directly from China (as the OP's was)
And I remember purchasing an iDevice as a gift and using the tracking info to determine the exact tail number of the UPS plane it was on when being shipped directly from China (I tracked it on FlightAware, too) on its way to the intended recipient (I also followed the flights in the US; once it got on to the local delivery truck, UPS only shows general location tracking). I guess we just use "shipped directly from China" to mean different things.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Sat May 18, 2019 11:31 pm

Today's word is "quibbling".

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”