Switching between NAS's

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Beerman

Switching between NAS's

Post by Beerman » Wed May 15, 2019 7:24 am

One of the drives in my Synology NAS is either bad or going bad and it's going to take 24 hours or so to rebuild/repair. So, HDHR won't use it until it's repaired. In the meantime, I have another NAS that I use for work that I want to handle the recordings until things get fixes. Is there anything I should prepare for switching back and forth are is it just as easy as setting up demonrik's SPK on the 2nd NAS and simply stopping it when the other NAS is back up and running and restarting that one?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Switching between NAS's

Post by signcarver » Wed May 15, 2019 8:25 am

As far as getting the engine working for upcoming recordings, that is all one needs to do... just make sure there is only one engine up as a recording engine.

The issue is with your past content and access to it and how "temporary" the move will be. If just during the rebuild process, I probably wouldn't worry about it, though some may wish to make sure such content is backed up just incase the rebuild fails, and just let the "temporary" solution record new content then copy that to the old NAS once rebuilt. But if "temporary" lasts a bit longer than expected (to the point of no longer being seen as a temporary move), for most that means copying the old to the new as well to be served.

Does the current engine work for playing back recorded content? If it does, you may wish to specify the first recording location as null which would make it a storage only server.

Does it still allow such access to the previously recorded content by the "share" ? (demonrik's approach is usually not to share such directory but I do believe there were instructions on using an existing share as well as instructions on making the recording folder a share). In the past I have had good luck with a symlink in the recording folder of an engine pointing to another NAS used as an archive (it has been a while since I tested such, with no DRM recording, I still rely on WMC for most of my recordings). However you may find that in doing such if you move new stuff over to the archive, you may need to restart the engine to pick it up, but in what I have seen, once it picks it up, it serves it just fine.

Beerman

Re: Switching between NAS's

Post by Beerman » Wed May 15, 2019 8:53 am

Since it was only 4% of the way to rebuild when I left for work, HDHR showed that there was no DVR setup. I'm hoping that maybe once we get to about 50% done or so, it may work.
I've not replaced a drive since I installed HDHR on it so I don't know if it has to be 100% repaired or not before it allows me to use HDHR.

I'm not concerned about what's already on it, just that the 'new' NAS records going forward until the old one is fixed.

Thanks!