iOS 12.2 update?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Jackamus
Device ID: 1316E070, 1323748C, 13253D8E

iOS 12.2 update?

Postby Jackamus » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Last post was April 2nd? Is there any news on this front?

garethw
Silicondust

Re: iOS 12.2 update?

Postby garethw » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:36 pm

Hello
We are very sorry for the inconvenience our iOS customers are experiencing right now.
iOS 12.2 broke a key component we use to display video.
This has been confirmed by Apple who are working on a fix for that component.
Meanwhile we are investigating alternative methods to resolve this issue.
Gareth

MickPB

Postby MickPB » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:02 pm

Hi
After the problem is resolved can you please attend to improved process for compatability testing with upgrades? I can say that the app worked somewhat from a couple weeks after upgrading but never completely correctly.

Thanks

SpencerC

Postby SpencerC » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:18 pm

Most software application developers get advanced access to the iOS updates so they can find and resolve any bugs the update may cause to their app. This is why you see many apps send out updates just prior to the release of an iOS update.

Jackamus

Postby Jackamus » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:52 pm

Hello
We are very sorry for the inconvenience our iOS customers are experiencing right now.
iOS 12.2 broke a key component we use to display video.
This has been confirmed by Apple who are working on a fix for that component.
Meanwhile we are investigating alternative methods to resolve this issue.
Gareth
Why wasn't something like this caught during their developer releases? Surely, this kind of breakage could have been caught early?

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:37 pm

I'm entirely uninvolved with this area of the company (I'm no programer, haha), but I'd like to bring a little perspective: Considering the issue appears to have been caused by an Apple mistake, I wouldn't assume that early testing on iOS 12.2 betas would have caught the issue. This could have been something that slipped in one of the later betas. Or it could have been seen, but assumed that Apple would fix it before release, but maybe Apple figured it wasn't important enough to delay and do another beta for. The current work to mitigate the issue (aka, a work-around/bandaid/duct tape) the issue takes time to develop, and until Apple releases the final version of their update, it's nearly impossible for a developer to know if they need to do that work-around in the first place. Then, assuming all goes well and Apple fixes it, the developer would go back and undo the work-around, as it is no longer needed.

Plus, iOS 12.2 went out to a lot of hardware (I think as far back as the iPhone 5S, which is five+ years old). It's not unusual for us to see things that only affect certain models. My own iPhone 6 didn't have this issue with iOS 12.2 and the HDHR app.

I'm not saying that any of this is or isn't the case (again, not a programmer, but I do play one on TV *sparkly smile*), but just pointing out that things are extra complicated when it come to working around a bug that isn't in the app, but in the OS itself.

neil459

Postby neil459 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:01 am

Most software application developers get advanced access to the iOS updates so they can find and resolve any bugs the update may cause to their app. This is why you see many apps send out updates just prior to the release of an iOS update.
I am iOS Application developer with multiple apps in the App Store. For a small or medium sized developer, this is absolutely impossible. Let me explain why?

First, this may sound hateful but its not, its just the truth. Apple just does not care about small and medium size developers (except during WWDC). They have millions and they are a constant problem for Apple. These developers try to sneak things by Apple to violate Apple's guidelines and political correctness standards. They violate Apple's NDA agreements. They embarrass Apple when they find things Apple does not want known. The resulting Apple secrecy culture requires that Apple do a number of things that make development expensive for small developers.

Large developers have access to engineers and information inside Apple that get around the following problems.

1) With beta releases, Apple does not publish release notes that contain a description of the functionality changes or bug fixes. Maybe on occasion, they might say they changed an API, but that is rare except for major releases. They do publish API diffs, again for major releases (which this was not), but the list is usually long and checking it requires several days time just to figure out if any of the changes effect the developers code. The list just notes that something changed, not why, or what details. They rarely communicate internal bug fixes or changes in functionality.

2) Apple hides or removes upcoming changes in beta releases to protect the wow factor of the release. Yep, that's right, today Apple is first and foremost a marketing company. Was not always that way, so it's sad but true. This means even testing on the last beta before release does not guarantee that you will be testing against the release code base.

3) Apple makes beta releases for users, not developers. You say, how can this be? It is because the purpose of Apple beta releases is to generate blog posts, news articles, comments, etc. about the exciting new Apple release coming. Again Apple is a marketing company, not a technology company. How do we know this? Because there are usually no beta release notes worth reading. Apple's favorite line in release notes is, "internal bug fixes."

4) Non major releases (point upgrades) are often released without being released to developers. This means that I cannot run my code with test simulators on the latest release. This especially happens for the first few of releases after a major release.

5) Apple beta releases are not made for developers so they routinely change their mind about how things are supposed to work, change their mind about what functionality will be released, and include code that is so buggy that it's not worth testing against. Historically, the first few beta releases crash so often, that I no longer even bother to download them. Apple beta releases are, in reality, what other companies call Alpha releases.

6) Apple does not routinely make bug reports or their solution available to developers. If you file a support case (which costs money), then maybe it's better. It is usually a better use of my time to work around the problem.

7) The bugs in Apple code have increased to a level that last year (2018) Apple deferred some new iOS/tvOS functionality in order to, supposedly, fix bugs. As a developer I am still seeing major bugs. Every developer I know has serious bugs that have been open for years.

8) Apple provides software simulators for devices. While that works for development, the simulators have several problems which forces final testing to be done with actual devices. For two of my apps I cannot rely on the simulators for testing at all because of bugs or lack of functionality.

So to test a single simple app against each Apple beta release you need a department of several people. It is not uncommon for beta releases to occur every two weeks. And if you are serious, then all testing has to be done within the two weeks.

You need to be able to fund these people knowing that they will be 80+% non-productive. The App must be tested from top to bottom on each physical device without knowing what is being tested for (remember Apple does not tell the developer what has changed). And you need to accept the fact that no matter how much time they spend with beta releases, all testing will have to be done against Apple's released code, which, for almost all releases contains code that was never in any beta release.

So I only test after final release, unless there is some known incompatibility. Not sure what SD does, but it would not be surprising that they have some of these same issues.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:27 pm

This is so well put I don't really think there's anything to add.

jph1589

Postby jph1589 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:21 pm

I have 12.2 running on a iPhone 6s and havent noticed any issues with the HD app.

That being said, I keep reading all of these complaints that border on being rude and some have crossed the border. Maybe someone should get some cheese to go with that Whining!!!

fcirkse

Postby fcirkse » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:38 pm

Hello - I don't know what caused the issue but ioS 12.2 did break my video on my HdHomeRun app as well. I have an iPhone 5SE that is 2 years old.

And, I suppose the biggest thing is that I use my iPhone to drift off to sleep at night watching the channels I get here from my OTA and cable channels my HdHomeRun box can pick up.

If there is a workaround available, I'd like to know about it please. I've tried downgrading to ioS 12.1.4 but Apple isn't letting me do that with multiple Error messages including 3184 and 3600 depending on the contents of my hosts file using iTunes.

Does anyone know if the ioS 12.2 betas or 12.3 betas are working and available?

Thank you.

Jackamus

Postby Jackamus » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:40 pm

Hello - I don't know what caused the issue but ioS 12.2 did break my video on my HdHomeRun app as well. I have an iPhone 5SE that is 2 years old.

And, I suppose the biggest thing is that I use my iPhone to drift off to sleep at night watching the channels I get here from my OTA and cable channels my HdHomeRun box can pick up.

If there is a workaround available, I'd like to know about it please. I've tried downgrading to ioS 12.1.4 but Apple isn't letting me do that with multiple Error messages including 3184 and 3600 depending on the contents of my hosts file using iTunes.

Thank you.

You can try Channels DVR in the interm. It works for me. You will have to setup a recordings. They let you use it free for a month. Just a thought.

fcirkse

Postby fcirkse » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:00 pm

Thank you.

You can try Channels DVR in the interm. It works for me. You will have to setup a recordings. They let you use it free for a month. Just a thought.
Yes, I thought about that but to give some company my credit card and remember to cancel within a month is not something I'd prefer to do but thank you for the suggestion.
Any other ideas?
Thanks!

UPDATE - I had installed Channels DVR where a subscription is required but I found that they have a free app called Channels - Live TV which works similar to HdHomeRun software except for the interface. The video now works -- just takes a little getting used to on how to select channels. There is a Guide similar to the HdHomeRun interface and then an On Now tab that shows the channels.

I may keep this working from now on - especially if the Silicon Dust software doesn't get fixed soon!

Thanks all - especially Jackamus!

fcirkse

Postby fcirkse » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:27 pm

Jackamus

Postby Jackamus » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:25 pm

Just got an email that an update has been pushed out via Apple's Test Flight. It says a fix for Fix for iOS 12.2 video rendering, will that also include fast forwarding and how it stops playing? I've updated it on my tablet and phones. Will be able to fully run it through it's paces later.

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Postby DebbieFL33 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:48 am

I’m still waiting for an affirmative answer from SD before I update.

@nickk, @jasonl - OK to update to 12.2 on iOS for iPad Pro 12.9?

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”