Feedback on new Discover Now

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Postby DebbieFL33 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:14 am

That is the same way I scroll .. I go to the Grid Guide select FX and scroll to the right and look for movies I might be interested in.... I do not care to look through hundreds of pictures to find a movie I might like. I already know what channels have the movies I prefer.
And my “movie” method is totally different (would use Discover if sorted differently...see above)

There are at least two current DVR offerings which allow this user flexibility, IMO, it would enhance SDDVR tremendously if adopted.

neil459

Postby neil459 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:30 am

Every time I use Netflix UI I get pissed. Let's hope that SD is not trying to recreate this terrible UI for their DVR.

Why? Because to decide what to watch I have to click through to the details every single time. A nice grid view and I could scroll around without playing whack-a-mole.

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Postby Thunderthud » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:39 am

That is the same way I scroll .. I go to the Grid Guide select FX and scroll to the right and look for movies I might be interested in.... I do not care to look through hundreds of pictures to find a movie I might like. I already know what channels have the movies I prefer. Hence that is why I have moved to Channels DVR.
Yes, indeed!!!

bruiserker

Postby bruiserker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:00 pm

Every time I use Netflix UI I get pissed. Let's hope that SD is not trying to recreate this terrible UI for their DVR.

Why? Because to decide what to watch I have to click through to the details every single time. A nice grid view and I could scroll around without playing whack-a-mole.
I can't stand Netflix's UI either. I can't find anything to watch without having to use the search feature or I've seen something listed somewhere else that mentioned it being on there. This SD UI is too similar for me. Unless something changes I'll be sticking with WMC or going to that competitor they don't like mentioned.

It seems it's only because they want to be stubborn and insist that everyone else is doing it wrong but them.

You know who did that? Microsoft with Win 8. What happened? They had to eat crow and fire the guy in charge of that fiasco. Who else? The Gnome developers. They had to eat crow and implement extensions because they lost users.

bruiserker

Postby bruiserker » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:34 pm

Nate, I like the way discover is now. It works for me to find shows to record, ala Netflix.

But one example for me would be for movies. If I record a movie it's to archive it. I want to record from a non-commercial interrupting or editing channel.
Hm, interesting. That is a pretty valid reason to want to know the channel. Since I come from a mainly OTA background, those sorts of channels don't really exist for me.

I wonder if in v.3 we had some kind of box that updated as you scrolled around the page that included a summary of whatever you where highlighting, plus a series of little boxes, like you see on HBO movies, that indicate important things. They'd include New/Rerun, HD/SD, Commercial Free, nudity. :) Well, maybe not the last one.

Then in theory, if you were on the Movies or Shows tab, you could even filter by those boxes to guarantee getting the right show.
You could take this a step further and add channel numbers along the side, replace icons with text which includes some extra info. BAM! You've got a working guide. Makes it real easy to see what's currently on, what's coming next, if it's a rerun, parental rating. All of this without having to highlight a program. You could have a little box at the bottom with the info for the highlighted program.

No offense, but someone coming from an OTA background probably shouldn't be designing these things.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:49 pm

as previous poster stated, have channel number with the text for the show or movie instead of picture, but shrink the movie or show your watching slightly when slice pulls up and have a wide bar at the top with more descriptions and if you must, the movie poster, as you scroll through the slice. it would keep slice, no need to make it see through unless you move left and right through slice, and make it as functional as a grid and keep the show running with out interruption

| ……………………………………….. | Show|4ETC |
| ………………………………………... | Show |5ETC |
| ………………………………………... | Show |6Fox |
|_________________________| Show|7ESPN|
|_Rec Play FF RR ETC________|_____|_____|

Looked better in preview but you get the idea.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:10 pm

And... I just realized, this post is about the discovery, not slice. Sorry. but my post is still valid for the slice "liveTV" view

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:47 am

You could take this a step further and add channel numbers along the side, replace icons with text which includes some extra info. BAM! You've got a working guide. Makes it real easy to see what's currently on, what's coming next, if it's a rerun, parental rating. All of this without having to highlight a program. You could have a little box at the bottom with the info for the highlighted program.

No offense, but someone coming from an OTA background probably shouldn't be designing these things.
Deep, deep eyeroll on this one. I also come from an XBMC/Kodi background where the amount of content you potentially have to deal with makes any cable lineup look sad and embarrassing. And I know first hand that interest and dedication (and to some degree artistic skill) matters a lot more than a user background.

I can't tell if you are making a sarcastic "solution" by creating a channel guide, or instead are suggesting putting the channel number along the side of each tile/program. I'm guessing you are suggesting the first, in which case, no response, because that response was not requested in this thread.

If it was the second, we could potentially do that. Turn every box into text. It would be unbelievably ugly, but we could do it. Some groups actually go halfway with this, which is what I'd like to do for the "On Deck" page, whenever we build that. Where instead of boxes, one builds a rectangle, with the show image on the left and some text on the right describing the show, it's various statuses, potential conflicts, etc.

I don't know if having that much info (at the sacrifice of images) would be worthwhile on the Discover Now screen. It seems like it would detract from the point of the page, which is to help you discover new content. Pretty much every content discovery source in the past 30 years from Blockbuster stores to Hulu and Netflix home pages have pretty clearly demonstrated that content discovery is at least partially about sizzle. Does the cover and art look good? If so, I shall perhaps dive down and learn more about it. Getting rid of the "sizzle" in a page dedicated to discovering new content feels like not the best advice.

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Postby GGRussell » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:17 pm

There is absolutely nothing you can do to 'fix' Discovery to convince me it is even remotely useful. I only use the search feature to find a show to record. And to be fair, I dislike Netflix , Amazon Prime or any other streaming service I have seen. I find them all very frustrating to use.

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Postby Thunderthud » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:17 pm

You seem to be stuck on the direction that you are following, saying there is too much to wade through in a grid guide. So maybe as an addition to your discover now, with the giant icons and no info, you could provide a separate option for a grid guide that only shows Favorite Channels, as selected in My HDHomeRun? Just for us old fogies, that can't change our ways.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:28 pm

You seem to be stuck on the direction that you are following, saying there is too much to wade through in a grid guide. So maybe as an addition to your discover now, with the giant icons and no info, you could provide a separate option for a grid guide that only shows Favorite Channels, as selected in My HDHomeRun? Just for us old fogies, that can't change our ways.
I feel like you guys aren’t getting the point of this conversation. This is not a conversation about whether or not there’s ever going to be a grid guide. The answer to that has been “we’re open to the idea, and will think about it.” Nothing that happens in this thread is going to change that stance, because this thread isn’t about a grid guide. Regardless of whether we eventually do some kind of grid guide, we’re going to continue moving forward with Discover, because they are different things.

So with that in mind, I’m asking what you do and do not like about Discover. And particularly the version presented in the beta UI. If your answer to that question is “please give me a grid guide,” you are off-topic from the thread. It will be like saying “what do you think of this apple,” and your replying “I want a floor tile.” Just take it as read that your request for a grid guide has been acknowledged, and either choose to answer the question posted here or don’t and stay off the thread.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:32 pm

There is absolutely nothing you can do to 'fix' Discovery to convince me it is even remotely useful. I only use the search feature to find a show to record. And to be fair, I dislike Netflix , Amazon Prime or any other streaming service I have seen. I find them all very frustrating to use.
Also, as a follow up, if your answer is “if it ain’t a grid guide, then I hate all other forms of media discovery,” let’s take that as read as well. Again, looking for constructive posts.

bruiserker

Postby bruiserker » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:53 pm

Also, as a follow up, if your answer is “if it ain’t a grid guide, then I hate all other forms of media discovery,” let’s take that as read as well. Again, looking for constructive posts.
Serious question; if we're not to discuss a grid guide here, where should we? Sounds like you don't want any discussion about a grid guide. I honestly wouldn't have joined your kickstarter if I knew this is what your product was going to be and you would be so hostile to a traditional UI. In your earlier post about the WMC grid, you say you weren't trolling, but that's exactly how you came across, at least to me it did. It angered me when I read it.

You want criticism of discovery? Here
Icons are terrible. They take extra bandwidth and memory. Don't display enough information, and don't need to do the same function as the DVDs in Blockbuster or Walmart. It's not your job to "sell" programming to people, like the producers of those DVDs have to do with their flashy covers.

The ordering makes no sense and your arbitrary idea of how things should be listed is ridiculous. What may be popular to you may mean Jack to me and have me scrolling through a ton of crap just to find what I like. What is your proposal to help make the things I like more accessible? I know how I would like you to fix it, but you don't want to discuss my preference.

Is that the feedback you're looking for?

bruiserker

Postby bruiserker » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:27 am

This conversation has got me wondering about a new thing. I'm wondering how all of you guys use your DVR system in the first place. I ask, because it's honestly pretty rare for me to just randomly search for shows. Unless I'm testing something, I tend to set up all my recordings and spend almost all my time in the recorded area. The sole exception to that being when a sporting event is happening, and even then, I typically have a recording rule set up for those too.

That means that all my shows that I care about list as the very first things in discover, and a lot of times I'll just ignore the rest altogether. And the only other times I visit Discover is if I'm looking for a recommended show or new movies I can record.

So I guess my question is, is can you walk me through an average day for you? Do you spend a lot of time browsing for things to watch? Or perhaps do you have a big list of things you want to watch, you just don't bother recording them?

edit: Secondary question: Let's say we built a grid guide, but then reordered the channels so that all the ones that had recording rules attached were listed first. Would you find that a good thing or annoying, because you are used to sorting through the channels in a particular order?
We have a fundamental difference in how we watch TV. You are show-centric while I am channel-centric.

To answer your questions I only have 5 or 6 shows set to record. The rest of the time, probably 80%, I'm watching live TV with no particular show in mind, but with certain channels i prefer to watch. There is nothing in your application that is conducive to that. I use my DVR as a way to insure that I won't miss the few shows that are in season that I care about. I watch my sports live. If you were to make a grid, reordering channels would make it almost as useless as "Discover" is.

Not going off-topic, just trying to answer your questions.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:31 am

Serious question; if we're not to discuss a grid guide here, where should we? Sounds like you don't want any discussion about a grid guide.
At the moment, no where. But that doesn't mean no where forever. The reason we're having this particular discussion now is because Discover Now, as it is in the beta, is virtually a new feature. It's dramatically altered from how it used to be, and getting feedback on that alteration is useful. Once we get out of beta, I'll see about starting some running threads on frequently requested features. In particular, it seems clear that getting a running thread on grids and a thread on recording conflicts will be pretty handy.
You want criticism of discovery? Here
Icons are terrible. They take extra bandwidth and memory. Don't display enough information, and don't need to do the same function as the DVDs in Blockbuster or Walmart. It's not your job to "sell" programming to people, like the producers of those DVDs have to do with their flashy covers.

The ordering makes no sense and your arbitrary idea of how things should be listed is ridiculous. What may be popular to you may mean Jack to me and have me scrolling through a ton of crap just to find what I like. What is your proposal to help make the things I like more accessible? I know how I would like you to fix it, but you don't want to discuss my preference.

Is that the feedback you're looking for?
The first paragraph is not feedback that's helpful. It's just another way of saying "I hate any form of content discovery." The second paragraph is potentially useful, though it'd be helpful if you included a different, preferred way of ordering. It *sounds* as though you'd prefer the list of shows be ordered in channel order, which frankly is far more arbitrary than "what's a new series, followed by what's a new season."

Just as an example, where I live ordering by channel you get you: Cooking with Emeril (paid programming), Spanish language Premier League futbol, a rerun of NCIS: LA, Dog Tales, and The Greatest Story Ever Told on the top row.

Any time the top row gets you paid programming, the top row has failed.

Return to “New UI”