Feedback on new Discover Now

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by nateb » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:16 pm

Hi all, for those of you who have opted into the new UI, we're particularly interested in feedback on the newly renovated Discover- Now tab. I know I've had a lot of chats with many of you over the past few months about making discovery and search easier, and I'd love your feedback on this first attempt in that direction. Any feedback would be appreciated, even as simple as "Yay, a clock." :)

mchias13
Device ID: 131D4055

Re: Feedback on new Discover Now

Post by mchias13 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:25 pm

When scrolling right, the "cursor" jumps off the TV shows. You have to hit down then right to continue scrolling.

Prefer it to keep scrolling.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:36 pm

mchias13 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:25 pm
When scrolling right, the "cursor" jumps off the TV shows. You have to hit down then right to continue scrolling.

It definitely shouldn't do that. Could you say what platform you are on? I'm on Win10 and I can't get it to do that.

mchias13
Device ID: 131D4055

Post by mchias13 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Win10 using a remote through flirc

It jumps to the "now" text on the sub menu bar

How to replicate:
Go to discover
Move cursor to top row of shows
Hit right to go to next time slot
Hit right to go to next time slot
Cursor moves to Live

Another issue in tasks:
If you have a show in tasks that has no showings I can't go back unless I use a mouse. Remote direction buttons or back doesn't do anything

elabra
Device ID: Device ID's: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491

Post by elabra » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:52 pm

Testing on Win 10 PC and keyboard....

Searching for Movies in the new UI....

Under the old UI I used to be able to scroll to Movies I wanted to record, hit enter to see details then enter again to record it and then hit ESC to return where I left of in the list of Movies to keep looking down for more.

Under the new UI I hit enter to see the movie details, hit enter to record it but hitting ESC takes you back to the beginning of Movies the list vs. where I had left off AND it does not keep the record option for the movie.

Seems like you can only hit Discover again but then you go back to the top.

There is no way to go back to Discover and pick up in the list where you left off.

Thanks

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:56 pm

Like the Now section of Discover. Under movies, shows, and sports though there isn't a way to tell when they air until you click on them, can you do something similar to them like Now is, or at least have separators for today, tomorrow, April 11, April 12. etc

boarder2

Post by boarder2 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:06 pm

nateb wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:36 pm
mchias13 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:25 pm

It definitely shouldn't do that. Could you say what platform you are on? I'm on Win10 and I can't get it to do that.
Happens for me on Fire TV

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Post by Thunderthud » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:01 am

Just found this feature after viewing this post. It's really a great step forward. Would be nice able to able to advance through different dates this way, as well as times.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:05 am

Thunderthud wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:01 am
Just found this feature after viewing this post. It's really a great step forward. Would be nice able to able to advance through different dates this way, as well as times.
Thanks! Yeah, we're really pretty excited about this particular piece. Navigating through dates would be possible, but we'd have to figure out how to do it in an easy way. Any design ideas are welcome. Either way, I'll bring it up with the team.

Thunderthud

Post by Thunderthud » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:03 pm

One problem I see is under Discover Now, there no longer is an indication of the channel number or network. Can't tell if it's first run or rerun in off channel.

JeffRand
Device ID: 131C369D, 1321FB16

Post by JeffRand » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:41 pm

Is there any rhyme or reason as to how the programs are displayed? Or are they just displayed in random order?

Is it SD's intent to make this the alternative to a traditional grid guide? I guess I'm just old fashioned, as I don't need pretty pictures to find things to watch.

Thunderthud

Post by Thunderthud » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:52 pm

JeffRand wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:41 pm
Is there any rhyme or reason as to how the programs are displayed? Or are they just displayed in random order?

Is it SD's intent to make this the alternative to a traditional grid guide? I guess I'm just old fashioned, as I don't need pretty pictures to find things to watch.
Has anyone from SD ever indicated just what they have against using a grid guide? I have no need for pictures either. They just take up too much space, and are replacing space that can contain useful data, like network and channel number, or episode data. (Like a grid guide).

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:03 pm

JeffRand wrote:

The order is based on a few different things. In particular, if you've set a recording, that goes higher. New and interesting go higher. Primary purpose is to help in (as the title suggests) Discovery. Ideally, this should group everything you want to watch at any particular time in the top three rows or so, so finding things is far less work. In other words, it's not so much about the pretty pictures as the fact that we're sorting in an attempt to list the best things to see at any given half hour.

edit: As an addition to this, sometimes really popular shows get listed lower, because we tend to weigh new over popular. The thinking is that if a show is popular enough for you to want to watch it, you'll already have a recording rule set for it, which automatically bumps it to the top of the list. I'd be interested to hear opinions on this.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:16 pm

Thunderthud wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Has anyone from SD ever indicated just what they have against using a grid guide? I have no need for pictures either. They just take up too much space, and are replacing space that can contain useful data, like network and channel number, or episode data. (Like a grid guide).
I'm actually preparing a blog post about this very topic. The short answer is that grid guide does everything... but it does everything poorly. If you are looking for specific shows, it provides you a ton of extraneous data that you neither need nor want. If you are looking for the Big Bang Theory, why should you need to go through 2 pages of news and public television programming to find it? If you are casually browsing, it lists all kinds of wrong things in between good things. This is particularly true in the modern OTA age, when you have a bunch of re-run channels that needlessly make it more effort to find the content on the big network channels.

And, at the risk of making people hyperventilate, the channel number and network should not matter. Who cares if the show is on CBS or ABC? What you care about is the show, not the random distributor. When Brooklyn 99 changed channels, did it suddenly become better or worse? The only reason it would ever matter is if you are somehow using that channel number as a means of shorthand for other, more important info, like whether the show is in HD or new.

With that said, I do agree that episode data could be pretty nice to list somewhere in the Discover screen. That doesn't require a grid guide though. It just takes a little redesigning.

And just to be clear, none of this is to say that we're ruling out ever doing a grid. We said we were open to the conversation before and we remain open to it. I'm simply answering the question of why a grid guide is a sub-par system for basically everything it tries to do.

JeffRand
Device ID: 131C369D, 1321FB16

Post by JeffRand » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:23 pm

nateb wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:03 pm
JeffRand wrote:

The order is based on a few different things. In particular, if you've set a recording, that goes higher. New and interesting go higher. Primary purpose is to help in (as the title suggests) Discovery. Ideally, this should group everything you want to watch at any particular time in the top three rows or so, so finding things is far less work. In other words, it's not so much about the pretty pictures as the fact that we're sorting in an attempt to list the best things to see at any given half hour.
Ugh, who decides what are the "best things to see"? No wonder I can't figure out what it is trying to show me. In addition to being old, I guess I have different tastes as to what is interesting and good to watch. Geez, I give up. I guess I'll keep my WMC running until I die. :lol: