HDHomeRun Prime 6 update?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
gtb
Expert

Re: HDHomeRun Prime 6 update?

Post by gtb » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:59 pm

NedS wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:44 pm
Besides, what difference would it be when compared to this guy...
The two CableCARD hosts (from the T company) used two S-cards. Most cable companies stopped stocking S-cards when M-cards were upwardly compatible (with the exception of a specific Sony CableCARD TV which apparently could just not do M-cards; some offices held onto a few S-cards for those customers).

averyfreeman
Device ID: 1326E235 1313788A

Post by averyfreeman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:00 pm

gtb wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:47 pm
It *used* to be called an "outlet" fee. It is was renamed a while ago to be "service to an additional TV" (which is always sort of was for the 98%, but now is clearer). However, Comcast has also recently changed (in most, but not all, markets) how they offer and bill services (that is another ball of wax I am not going to get into right this moment, but it appears savings are possible over the now legacy fee structure if you read carefully between the lines). In any case, the "outlet"/"service to an additional TV" also means you should get a customer owned device credit, so you get $2.50/mo off that fee, but you *do* typically have to ask for it (remember that CSRs are going to remember the options not for the 1% of TV customers (CableCARD users), but the 98%).
Thanks for letting me know, $2.50 will add up fast. I'm calling them tonight. Edit: Nevermind, I read their policy, looks like we're already getting a $5 credit - $2.50 for each cablecard. I'm fairly certain we never had to ask for it, though, so that's nice.

Here's how it appears on our bill (Seattle area market):

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:36 pm

gtb wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:59 pm
NedS wrote:
The two CableCARD hosts (from the T company) used two S-cards. Most cable companies stopped stocking S-cards when M-cards were upwardly compatible (with the exception of a specific Sony CableCARD TV which apparently could just not do M-cards; some offices held onto a few S-cards for those customers).
gotcha

go45cvi

Post by go45cvi » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:52 am

Yeah it just ain't worth dealing with Comcast's data cap plus $10 outlet fee for 2x3 tuners even when you have the hardware.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:01 am

averyfreeman wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:00 pm
Here's how it appears on our bill (Seattle area market):
btw, be aware that all cable companies maintain legacy features (including names on the bill) essentially forever in their systems (for both historical and existing customers), even if new customers, or customers changing their plan, can no longer get that feature (in some markets people have learned that the hard way when they "upgraded" and found some feature was missing, and were unable to go back because it is no longer offered). Not only that, but most cable companies roll out changes region by region. Cable company billing is a twisty maze of passages, all different.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:33 pm

I just noticed in the new info pages, under Prime 6 it states "hope to release in 2019".... this is disheartening.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:22 am

rrussis82 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:33 pm
I just noticed in the new info pages, under Prime 6 it states "hope to release in 2019".... this is disheartening.
Don't over analyze it. Nothing has changed. I try to be cautious with my wording on the info site.

averyfreeman

Post by averyfreeman » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:04 am

NedS wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:22 am
Don't over analyze it. Nothing has changed. I try to be cautious with my wording on the info site.
Just curious, what have been some of the primary challenges from an engineering standpoint in trying to eek out twice as many tuners using one cablecard?

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:20 am

averyfreeman wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:04 am
NedS wrote:
Just curious, what have been some of the primary challenges from an engineering standpoint in trying to eek out twice as many tuners using one cablecard?
I believe the main reason for delayed manufacturing is that they had to start from scratch as old parts were no longer available ... So they had to redesign them altogether.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:38 pm

EddieP wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:20 am
averyfreeman wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:04 am
NedS wrote:
I believe the main reason for delayed manufacturing is that they had to start from scratch as old parts were no longer available ... So they had to redesign them altogether.
I'm not an engineer myself, but what EddieP says here is my understanding as well. Essential PRIME components/chips were discontinued, and the company bought all of the existing stock of those parts to make as many PRIMEs as possible. I think there was even an earlier revision that was being designed, and then that source discontinued similar parts (or something to that extent, but I might be wrong about that, as it was before my time). So the bigger issue was less about a six tuner CableCARD device, but that they needed a stable source of those essential parts, and then they could build a product based on that.

From my understanding, the development cycle for the PRIME 6 is similar to the original PRIME. We were too optimistic about the PRIME 6's original ETAs last year, but I hear that things are going well for the PRIME 6 development.

averyfreeman

Post by averyfreeman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:48 pm

NedS wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:38 pm
EddieP wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:20 am
I'm not an engineer myself, but what EddieP says here is my understanding as well. Essential PRIME components/chips were discontinued, and the company bought all of the existing stock of those parts to make as many PRIMEs as possible. I think there was even an earlier revision that was being designed, and then that source discontinued similar parts (or something to that extent, but I might be wrong about that, as it was before my time). So the bigger issue was less about a six tuner CableCARD device, but that they needed a stable source of those essential parts, and then they could build a product based on that.

From my understanding, the development cycle for the PRIME 6 is similar to the original PRIME. We were too optimistic about the PRIME 6's original ETAs last year, but I hear that things are going well for the PRIME 6 development.
Very interesting, thanks for the info!

Do you know which parts were discontinued? Doesn't have to be exact PN, but I'm curious if you could tell me which function(s) they provided, and the company if you know.

What a bummer a disrupted supply chain is! Glad I bought two PRIMEs while I had the chance ;) I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of them.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:17 am

The HDHR3-CC uses a CPU made by Ubicom. Ubicom was bought by Qualcomm and Qualcomm discontinued all products made by Ubicom.

averyfreeman

Post by averyfreeman » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:15 pm

What a bummer! I hate when companies do that, I've seen it happen with a bunch of stuff I used to use, too. I feel your pain, SD ;)

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:51 am

nickk wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:17 am
The HDHR3-CC uses a CPU made by Ubicom. Ubicom was bought by Qualcomm and Qualcomm discontinued all products made by Ubicom.
I don't think they discontinued all products that was many year ago only one year after the introduced of the HDHomeRun Prime in 2011 then it wouldn't have survive more then one year or in tell they run out chipset

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88

Post by Mediaman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:28 am

gtb wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:59 pm
NedS wrote:
I have a friend who had one of those sony's and gave up on it ever working and that was when they only had the single tuner CC's. Sony offered no support at all and of course comcast had no idea what to do to trouble shoot... lol.