Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

otaku

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by otaku » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:17 pm

Actually...

I have to come up with a good story to tell wife as to why she's missing several cookies from a batch she was baking as part of birthday present.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:27 pm

Quick update on my comments regarding the new Kodi 18 on Linux auto-update support not being quite right in today's v2.1.0. So far this does appear to be exclusive to OSMC, everything has worked as expected on all other distros I've tried. I'm trying to find an AARCH64 Kodi 18 build to try out on an ODROID-C2, but I think I overreacted. Of course this means downloading and building OSMC to see if I need to submit a bug or make an OSMC specific build :(

Here's how you can test Linux auto-update yourself even with no actual updates available right now.

- Install v2.1.0 on Linux manually (CoreELEC, LibreELEC, Ubuntu, etc) as you normally would
- Go into Addons / My Addons / PVR Clients / HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client
- Click Update
- You should see just one version - "Version 2.1.0"
- Select that and see if it re-installs properly; Kodi will let you know via a banner message

If this errors out on something Linux other than OSMC, please let me know. From here, it's definitely looking like an OSMC specific concern.

mrfrankmrfrank

Post by mrfrankmrfrank » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:26 am

commercial skipping is working great now. 2 things I've noticed since transitioning from serverwmc / wmc. If possible in the future having available storage space appear in kodi would be great. I understand that this info would need to be provided by hdhomerundvr. Serverwmc was able to send this data to kodi and have it appear in the recorded tv page.

Another thing I am not sure if possible... Having original air date in the description of shows and having re-runs marked with an "R" after the episode name truly helped differentiate between new and old episodes while browsing through recorded tv.

dugiehowsa

Post by dugiehowsa » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:24 am

djp952 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:27 pm
Here's how you can test Linux auto-update yourself even with no actual updates available right now.

- Install v2.1.0 on Linux manually (CoreELEC, LibreELEC, Ubuntu, etc) as you normally would
- Go into Addons / My Addons / PVR Clients / HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client
- Click Update
- You should see just one version - "Version 2.1.0"
- Select that and see if it re-installs properly; Kodi will let you know via a banner message
Happy to report that this is working as desired on x86_64 LibreELEC 9.0.2. Will keep an eye out to see how it handles the jump to 2.1.1.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:53 am

mrfrankmrfrank wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:26 am
commercial skipping is working great now. 2 things I've noticed since transitioning from serverwmc / wmc. If possible in the future having available storage space appear in kodi would be great. I understand that this info would need to be provided by hdhomerundvr. Serverwmc was able to send this data to kodi and have it appear in the recorded tv page.
Great! The DVR does report the amount of free space it has, the limitation here is with Kodi. To have Kodi display this you need to give both numbers - the total storage space available and how much is free. The DVR only reports how much is free.

I can create a pull request for Kodi to change that functionality, but they wouldn't include anything like this until Kodi 19 (Matrix) since it would alter the PVR API. Can be done, though!
mrfrankmrfrank wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:26 am
Another thing I am not sure if possible... Having original air date in the description of shows and having re-runs marked with an "R" after the episode name truly helped differentiate between new and old episodes while browsing through recorded tv.
Actually this can be done. The guide data does provide the "OriginalAirDate" for most programs, therefore if that date doesn't match the date portion of the StartTime attribute it can be flagged as a repeat. This date is reported to Kodi, but I believe it's left up to the skin to decide how to display it. It shouldn't be a big deal at all to just make this comparison and append something to the EPG data, the PVR does that sort of thing all over the place.

I'd make this an optional thing since Kodi does technically already support it. Would you like it to look just like WMC did, append " (Repeat)" to the episode title?

mrfrankmrfrank

Post by mrfrankmrfrank » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:02 am

Perhaps it would be faster to see if the hdhomerun guys could provide an attribute for total storage that you could pass through to meet the kodi requirements? The two things that made navigating recorded tv easier in kodi was having the name of a repeat recording simply appended with an (R) at the end vs saying repeat for example, the other was to append the original air date on repeat episodes in the description of the episode. I will try to find a picture of how this looked previously.

Your responsiveness and willingness to add features is unprecedented. Thank you again!

mrfrankmrfrank

Post by mrfrankmrfrank » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:09 am

Realize I was kind of repeating myself there. I just meant the letter r was sufficient vs the entire word repeat. I think it looked like epsidodename (R)

And with regards to how it was easiest to see original air date was at top of episode description.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:37 am

djp952 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:53 am
Actually this can be done. The guide data does provide the "OriginalAirDate" for most programs, therefore if that date doesn't match the date portion of the StartTime attribute it can be flagged as a repeat.
Not quite as simple for many programs as they may have the OriginalAirDate as the original date of the series. In theory any "new" episode should have the FirstAiring tag (as far as recorded goes) but not every new episode has that set (and it can only be seen in recorded content, or by emulating a request to act as an engine and get the rules to be recorded in the next 4 hours)... so the absence of such does not necessarily mean it is a repeat so you may wish to think of using some combination that when it is a FirstAiring, it shouldn't be a repeat.

I do like the idea of using the date portion but may wish to extend a few hours past midnight so when people are tuner starved and their "new" show airs a few hours later and that is the one it captured, it isn't marked as a repeat (though I probably wouldn't mark such as "new" either... my reasoning for this is that in AZ, we get west coast feeds so prime time is 8-11 pacific for those channels, with some networks starting a show at 11 but for many months of the year that would make such show start at midnight thus on a different day, also primetime in US is a different day than the 0:00 UTC they use for the original date).

Though my thoughts are more in line with SD's app, I wish SD would include New and Premier tags (that gracenote should provide) in the guide metadata as I would love to see a New or Premier page of listings so one can more easily set up a search page on what to record.

mrfrankmrfrank

Post by mrfrankmrfrank » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:53 am

djp952

Post by djp952 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:08 pm

How about if the recording is specifically flagged as first airing or the record start time is within 24 hours of the original air date? That seems to work out fairly well with my recordings.

I'm not loving how the "(R)" looks appended to the episode title since Kodi likes to put those in parentheses, causing "))" at the end, but I'll leave that up to you if you like it or not. Here is a shot of a series I have that given the above rules some episodes are flagged as repeats and some aren't. In this case Elena of Avalor actually airs earlier in the week on a different channel than I have set to record it for my daughter:

mrfrankmrfrank

Post by mrfrankmrfrank » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:17 pm

djp952 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:08 pm
How about if the recording is specifically flagged as first airing or the record start time is within 24 hours of the original air date? That seems to work out fairly well with my recordings.

I'm not loving how the "(R)" looks appended to the episode title since Kodi likes to put those in parentheses, causing "))" at the end, but I'll leave that up to you if you like it or not. Here is a shot of a series I have that given the above rules some episodes are flagged as repeats and some aren't. In this case Elena of Avalor actually airs earlier in the week on a different channel than I have set to record it for my daughter:

Yea I agree the double )) doesnt' look good. I have to review back in my old photos and see if i have more of the full screen of my sample.. i wonder if the episode name wasn't in parenthesis thus having (R) appear without the )). Would you be able to leave a ) out of your code and have it appear like (episode name (R) not sure how that would look. And I assume you can make this a configurable option on the addon so if others want it or not. I'm just kinda chasing after how to find the latest new airing of a show especially since I have my dvr recording all episodes of every show because i'm an addict.

Typically I record several copies of a show in case one fails or started late or ended early (all with my intentions of going back later and manually cutting out commercials etc) I went into watch masterchef last night and I had 15 recordings in the folder since last week. I was like....which one aired last wednesday new... haha

djp952

Post by djp952 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:28 pm

I think square brackets instead of parentheses would look reasonable. [R] instead of (R).

It would definitely be an option, disabled by default, and under "General" with the other such metadata-based options. The HDHomeRun DVR won't record the same episode of a series more than once unless you specifically tell it to record a single episode (like right-click/record in the EPG through this PVR), or if when you delete a recording you choose "delete and re-record".

I think that's why this hasn't come up before, after you've been using the HDHomeRun DVR for a while and get used to the way their recording rules work, the need to know if a recording is a repeat or not visually like this kind of goes away -- series rules always only record episodes one time.

Let me try out the "[R]" format instead of "(R)", and hook this up for EPG data as well, I'll post a couple screen shots when I have them for you to see. I won't be back online until later tonight, got a daddy/daughter dinner date -- probably at something extremely elegant like Burger King :D

mrfrankmrfrank

Post by mrfrankmrfrank » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:28 pm

djp952 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:28 pm
I think square brackets instead of parentheses would look reasonable. [R] instead of (R).

It would definitely be an option, disabled by default, and under "General" with the other such metadata-based options. The HDHomeRun DVR won't record the same episode of a series more than once unless you specifically tell it to record a single episode (like right-click/record in the EPG through this PVR), or if when you delete a recording you choose "delete and re-record".

I think that's why this hasn't come up before, after you've been using the HDHomeRun DVR for a while and get used to the way their recording rules work, the need to know if a recording is a repeat or not visually like this kind of goes away -- series rules always only record episodes one time.

Let me try out the "[R]" format instead of "(R)", and hook this up for EPG data as well, I'll post a couple screen shots when I have them for you to see. I won't be back online until later tonight, got a daddy/daughter dinner date -- probably at something extremely elegant like Burger King :D
Take your time buddy. This is definitely my first few days using hdhomerun dvr. wmc would record the same episode 100 times if it aired that many times. This was fine with me because i would always backup my recordings with the plan to "go back and review which file is the best" and eventually export a "final cut without commercials" I appreciate things may get easier for me to sift through episodes since there will be less.

Have fun on the daughter date, my first is only 8 months old so it's pureed chicken tonight.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:27 pm

Alright sir, here's what I came up with for the Repeat indicator. LMK what you think. The only 'catch' to it is that it won't automatically propagate to EPG listings that Kodi already has, so turning the option ON or OFF would require a Guide reload to force the application of the indicator. Recordings will be updated real-time if the setting is changed.

If you think this will meet your needs, I can go ahead and merge it and implement it in the Krypton and Jarvis baselines. I can make a beta release available for Leia to you as well if you need it prior to the next release of the PVR addon.

edit: I shall correct the gammar in the setting help text - that should have said "its", not "it's" :)

Recordings - see fourth episode down in list on right

EPG - see episode title displayed at bottom of screen:

New setting (default is OFF):

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:15 pm

Hi, djp952.

When playing back recordings, is there a way to set subtitles to default to ON? As it is now, for every recording I play back, I have to turn on subtitles. It doesn't remember that I had turned them on for the previously viewed recording. The routine is, I will start playback of a recording and have to immediately pause it (so I don't miss any of the show), then bring up the subtitles settings and turn on subtitles. I select subtitles track 1, then close out the settings dialog and resume playback and watch for subtitles to display. If they don't show up withing 5 to 10 seconds, I pause playback again, bring up the subtitles settings again and select subtitles track 2, close out of the settings dialog and resume playback. This routine is a big distraction at the beginning of every recording I play back.

Also, is there a way to also have it auto-select the subtitle track, 1 or 2, that actually contains the subtitle text, rather than making me try each until the text starts to display? Some shows, subtitles are on track 2, but most are on track 1.