Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

walkerx

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by walkerx »

TL;DR

I'm in process of configuring my home setup to use the HDHomeRun Quatro prior to ditching Sky Q in the UK

I have a pc running Ubuntu 20.04 with Plex, Emby and Channels installed to see which performs best across two shield tv's and apple tv as well as android tablets

I've always liked kodi and previously used this on a single unit only, but now i'm setting up on the shields and tablets with Matrix release as kodi not supported officially on apple tv

If I install this and subscribe to the SD PVR, will this record to my linux based pc or each individual shield or tablet?

And must I leave kodi active for recordings to take place or will they happen in the background?

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

walkerx wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:49 am If I install this and subscribe to the SD PVR, will this record to my linux based pc or each individual shield or tablet?

And must I leave kodi active for recordings to take place or will they happen in the background?
The HDHomeRun DVR recording software is separate from Kodi. Kodi with this add-on is just a front end client. The back end record software is designed to record on one device in the home and be shared over the home network to the front end clients. You can use the Linux computer to run both the record software and Kodi if you want, or the record software can be installed on a Windows or Mac computer, Nvidia Shield with 500GB+ storage, and some NAS models. Kodi does not need to be running when recordings take place, but whatever device you choose to run the record software should be powered on and awake 24 hours a day. To minimize power use and noise I run HDHomeRun record on a Raspberry Pi 4 with a USB HDD. The RPi is headless so Kodi isn't even installed on it.

There is no limit to the number of front end clients you are allowed to have so you can run as many as your home network can handle. You don't have to use Kodi exclusively. They have a HDHomeRun app for Apple TV so you should still be able to use that device to access the DVR without Kodi. I prefer the Kodi interface on the big-screen but the official HDHomeRun app is pretty handy to have on smaller touch screen devices too. It's nice to be able to grab my Android phone to check what shows are coming up next or to schedule a recording without interrupting others in the room watching the TV.

walkerx

Post by walkerx »

Ken.F wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:41 am
walkerx wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:49 am If I install this and subscribe to the SD PVR, will this record to my linux based pc or each individual shield or tablet?

The HDHomeRun DVR recording software is separate from Kodi. Kodi with this add-on is just a front end client. The back end record software is designed to record on one device in the home and be shared over the home network to the front end clients. You can use the Linux computer to run both the record software and Kodi if you want, or the record software can be installed on a Windows or Mac computer, Nvidia Shield with 500GB+ storage, and some NAS models. Kodi does not need to be running when recordings take place, but whatever device you choose to run the record software should be powered on and awake 24 hours a day. To minimize power use and noise I run HDHomeRun record on a Raspberry Pi 4 with a USB HDD. The RPi is headless so Kodi isn't even installed on it.

There is no limit to the number of front end clients you are allowed to have so you can run as many as your home network can handle. You don't have to use Kodi exclusively. They have a HDHomeRun app for Apple TV so you should still be able to use that device to access the DVR without Kodi. I prefer the Kodi interface on the big-screen but the official HDHomeRun app is pretty handy to have on smaller touch screen devices too. It's nice to be able to grab my Android phone to check what shows are coming up next or to schedule a recording without interrupting others in the room watching the TV.
Thanks for the info, my pc running linux is on 24 hour as holds all my media for home use, so the clients link into it.

I'm a lieftime plexpass user and know I can get the dvr features through that and the same with emby, but emby/plex has issues playing the hd channels to my tv's as wants to transcode the signal due to AAC_LATM, even though I can direct play through channels or the SD HomeRun app on them. I've tested all for recording except the HDHR as emby/plex included in lifetime pass and channels can test for a month, but I wanted to learn more about the Kodi side, before I spend money on a yearly subscription (wish SD gave some ability for users to test before purchasing, especially when only just got the device)

Also, if my linux machine running the dvr side is rebooted, will the recording services automatically start on bootup or must I restart manually

What happens if two clients try to set recording for the same channel

Just waiting to see if there are any limitations on where I purchased the dvr side from ie (if purchased via US site, will it affect usage if used in another county, i know some apps are like this, but wondering if same for this)

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

walkerx wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:02 am I've tested all for recording except the HDHR as emby/plex included in lifetime pass and channels can test for a month, but I wanted to learn more about the Kodi side, before I spend money on a yearly subscription (wish SD gave some ability for users to test before purchasing, especially when only just got the device)
I've had a lifetime Plex Pass since 2013 so I can use Plex DVR for no additional cost, but I still prefer using HDHomeRun DVR. They all have their quirks but HDHomeRun DVR is pretty darn good.

The official HDHomeRun apps work for live TV without a paid DVR subscription. I think that's supposed to be the free trial part. If you want DVR service you pay the subscription, and most of that cost goes toward covering what they pay for guide data. You could roll your own DVR using the Quatro and Tvheadend but a Schedules Direct subscription for guide data costs $25 per year here in the US. Even if I could get the guide data for free I don't know if it would be worth the effort setting up Tvheadend. The HDHomeRun DVR record software is very easy to set up.
Also, if my linux machine running the dvr side is rebooted, will the recording services automatically start on bootup or must I restart manually
I just start hdhomerun_record manually after rebooting but I'm sure you can set up a cron job to start it on boot automatically.
What happens if two clients try to set recording for the same channel
Once a recording is set by any client all of the other clients will be able to see that it was set. I don't think it is even possible to set two recordings for the same channel at the same time. If you have back-to-back recordings on the same channel and there is an overlap period due to start and end padding it will only use a single tuner to record both programs during the overlap.

walkerx

Post by walkerx »

I saw the tvheadend and thought that way too much hassle getting it up and running

Webmin uses systemd and systemctl to start/stop jobs but currently having an issue getting this to work

I have ordered the subscription via through their online shop, but the email received does not contain any information for me to link my unit to the subscription :(

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

walkerx wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:21 am I saw the tvheadend and thought that way too much hassle getting it up and running

Webmin uses systemd and systemctl to start/stop jobs but currently having an issue getting this to work

I have ordered the subscription via through their online shop, but the email received does not contain any information for me to link my unit to the subscription :(
First off, THANK YOU Ken.F for all of your responses (it was a family weekend here)!

I have no inherent knowledge how to make the DVR engine work on Linux, outside of a WD 4100EX NAS for which SD provides a nice canned package that "just works", or Windows :( But .. the answers to these questions are likely to be best handled in the top-level "Software Setup & Troubleshooting" area of the forum: viewforum.php?f=119. There are plenty of folks, like Ken.F, that will help to the extent they can, but if this is moderately difficult to set up on Linux I'd like to think SD would jump at the chance to clarify it for you and anyone else via documentation?

Sadly, I was a kickstarter supporter and managed to have my account grandfathered into whatever the current activation process is, so once again I'm useless to you :) If you are unable to resolve the issue, Ned S is an excellent resource that is always friendly and willing to lend a hand. He kind of rocks.

But, that aside, the reason I'm posting is to point out that Kodi "Matrix" 19.1 seems to have made the addon setting "Use season/episode number as title for recordings" obsolete; the updated UI will show the Season and Episode numbers as part of a subtitle that also includes the episode name for recordings. This setting now makes things worse in my opinion, and I'd like to remove it from the Matrix baseline. It was always kind of a hack to work around Kodi UI limitation(s) that no longer exist. While I see no valid "pain point" in removing this, I would like to know if anyone that was/is using this option and has upgraded to Kodi 19.1 sees a reason to keep it?

walkerx

Post by walkerx »

Thanks,

I've got the subscription activated last night as opened a ticket and they responded with a link to set it up

I installed the other unofficial package from the forum which included the steps to create the systemd entries using systemctl

I've raised a post on the software forum as suggested to see if SD would include the steps when manually installing on linux

But thanks to both Ken.F and yourself on this

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:23 pm ...Kodi "Matrix" 19.1 seems to have made the addon setting "Use season/episode number as title for recordings" obsolete; the updated UI will show the Season and Episode numbers as part of a subtitle that also includes the episode name for recordings. This setting now makes things worse in my opinion, and I'd like to remove it from the Matrix baseline. It was always kind of a hack to work around Kodi UI limitation(s) that no longer exist. While I see no valid "pain point" in removing this, I would like to know if anyone that was/is using this option and has upgraded to Kodi 19.1 sees a reason to keep it?
I like seeing the season/episode numbers in the right pane episode list when you highlight a show folder in the recordings section but I can learn to live without it.

I noticed 19.1 has a small movie camera placeholder icon next to each recording. Is that supposed to be a thumbnail image?

New requests:
In the info screens for recordings can ChannelNumber be added to the ChannelName line? Instead of just showing "WCAUDT" it would show something like "WCAUDT (10.1)" or "856 SZESUHD". Or maybe add a new line for Channel among the Date, Time and Duration?

The only way I know of to see the "First aired date" for recordings is to go into the Recording information screen from the context menu. Can that be displayed in the other info screens as well?

FoodLioon

Post by FoodLioon »

Walkerx-
I like to use both Kodi and the HDHomeRun app. The HDHomeRun app can do some things Kodi can't and vice versa.
User guide for the HDHomeRun app DVR - viewtopic.php?t=72012
The good thing about the HDHomeRun DVR service is that the rules are saved in the cloud. If you need to reinstall your OS, you don't have to worry about anything except backing up recordings if desired.
Tvheadend is probably overkill for a simple home DVR system.

FoodLioon

Post by FoodLioon »

Seems like Kodi doesn't pad 30 seconds to recordings anymore. I like that change, I don't have to go back and move padding to 0 anymore.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

FoodLioon wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:39 pm Seems like Kodi doesn't pad 30 seconds to recordings anymore. I like that change, I don't have to go back and move padding to 0 anymore.
If you go to Kodi's Setings> PVR & Live TV> Recording you can configure the default start and end padding.

FoodLioon

Post by FoodLioon »

Ken.F wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:42 pm
FoodLioon wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:39 pm Seems like Kodi doesn't pad 30 seconds to recordings anymore. I like that change, I don't have to go back and move padding to 0 anymore.
If you go to Kodi's Setings> PVR & Live TV> Recording you can configure the default start and end padding.
That setting is ignored sometimes depending on the rule type. I always go back and check the padding anyway since I only have 4 tuners for the HDHR DVR.

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

FoodLioon wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:00 pm That setting is ignored sometimes depending on the rule type.
That's odd. I have the default set to 1 minute before and after and that value is always pre-selected whenever I add a timer rule in the Kodi add-on regardless if it's a one-time recording or a series rule.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Ken.F wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:18 am I like seeing the season/episode numbers in the right pane episode list when you highlight a show folder in the recordings section but I can learn to live without it.
No problem, remain it shall (less work for me, LOL)
Ken.F wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:18 am I noticed 19.1 has a small movie camera placeholder icon next to each recording. Is that supposed to be a thumbnail image?
I'm not sure actually, and have been wondering myself. I'll have to take a look. I didn't play with Kodi 19.1 at all while it was being developed (been working on the ever elusive radio addon, and all the proposed changes to Kodi I believe I need to support it -- getting there). I think a thumbnail there would be pretty jarring visually, perhaps for addons that don't sort into folders like this one does that might make sense. For us, we'd just see the same thumbnail umpteen times. My guess is this is just a static image for now with the intent to do something like a thumbnail later.
Ken.F wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:18 am New requests:
In the info screens for recordings can ChannelNumber be added to the ChannelName line? Instead of just showing "WCAUDT" it would show something like "WCAUDT (10.1)" or "856 SZESUHD". Or maybe add a new line for Channel among the Date, Time and Duration?

The only way I know of to see the "First aired date" for recordings is to go into the Recording information screen from the context menu. Can that be displayed in the other info screens as well?
I'm on board with anything that can be done to present the metadata in useful ways, but we are at the mercy of the Kodi UI as well. I won't be able to add a line of text anywhere, but can control what we put in the existing lines. For the most part the lines that can be tinkered with will be the Title and Episode Name lines, adding extra stuff there or reporting something completely different is always possible here. As with the option I was proposing to remove, there are UI ramifications that need to be lived with (like seeing the series name be "S01E12" instead of say, "Law and Order" in the player). I was able to get a couple things into Matrix, but did also propose a couple ideas that failed, one of which was to use and display the "first aired date" as a new sort option for the recording folder(s). What got dinged there is that I was trying to sort on optional fields that not all PVRs can sort by; which is a valid concern.

For truly fancy stuff my thought pattern has since been to have Kodi allow for the addon to provide custom sorts and a callback to format the labels in the UI, but that has also run into the same theoretical problems if the user has multiple addons installed. While disappointed, I do agree with Team Kodi that for this to be reliable it needs to use required fields :(

I can look at maybe a skin change to show the first aired date / year (when available) the same way I did for that Recording Information dialog over on the right hand side when a recording is selected? Do you like how that works in the dialog?

wow, that got wordy.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

FoodLioon wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:00 pm
Ken.F wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:42 pm
That setting is ignored sometimes depending on the rule type. I always go back and check the padding anyway since I only have 4 tuners for the HDHR DVR.
If that setting is being ignored, it might be a bug in the addon (or Kodi). Would you mind providing a bit more information on this, like with what rule type(s) you're seeing this behavior, I'd like to investigate this and try to duplicate it. Are you scheduling recordings exclusively via the Kodi addon or are you mixing/matching, like using the HDHomeRun app one place and Kodi another (which is perfectly fine)?

Ideally if you can provide a full set of steps to duplicate that'd be PERFECT, but I'll take any info you can provide and run with it :)