Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

vmstek

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by vmstek »

Can someone summarize how this all works?

I do not see anywhere to enter an authorization key, so I assume the device "calls home" to check for DVR registration.
But I also do not see any configuration for a storage device (external) in the client app...how is that setup?

Are all clients on a device capable of recording once the DVR subscription is in effect? And can each client use a unique storage device?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Probably best if you were to read up on SD's DVR

clients don't record... DVR Engines Record (in some cases you can run a client and an engine on the same machine)

When you register for the DVR (clicking the link sent by email) it associates the found tuners with your account. SD's app will subsequently also add/remove tuners as long as it can find one associated with your account.

What this does is present things a bit different than SD's HDHomeRun app. However it uses the same DVR one would setup with SD. You can have multiple DVR Engines running but only one will record when the engines are on the same network (typically the one with the most space).

SD's DVR only works with the modern tuners as it requires http streaming, it also requires your tuners be able to have guide from SD (silicondust, not schedules direct, I usually won't mention that in SD's forum but many people associate a different SD for guide data). Every 8 hours the tuners themselves contact SD to negotiate a DeviceAuth and it is this DeviceAuth (concatenated together if more than 1 tuner but any single one in that will work if one of your devices isn't found) that controls your access to significant guide as well as your recording rules (stored with SD in the cloud).

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

vmstek, assuming you were excited about the legacy tuner support, you do have some other options available to you. I believe Plex, Emby, and Channels all support the legacy devices as well, and while I've never used them personally I think they all provide their own recording services.

One alternative you may want to look into if Kodi is your GUI of choice is NextPVR. It has a Kodi PVR addon much like this one does but uses NextPVR as it's backend (as opposed to HDHomeRun DVR). The guy that maintains that addon is also really good, too.

I don't believe any current software offers free EPG data so I'd expect to need to pay for that as an additional yearly cost to whatever solution you find to work for you.

Depending on your long-term needs (this is an opinion, not a product plug), the cost of setting up a HDHomeRun DVR system really isn't that prohibitive. Folks that have an existing NAS and non-legacy devices are of course in the best position, but I'd bet you could run this thing on a Pi 4 (maybe even a 3) with an external HDD (don't quote me on that - CHECK FIRST - I have a NAS here). An old Windows box that you can leave running 24/7 also does the trick. Sure, you may need newer tuners and it's not free, but it's a lot cheaper than a streaming service is per year.

If it's gotta be free and it's gotta work with legacy tuners, I am unaware of any current solution that would check all the boxes. At a minimum, EPG will cost money.

The HDHomeRun solution is actually pretty elegant in practice. Takes a bit of getting used to when jumping from a more traditional "time and channel" PVR set up, but other than excusable failures like there being no power it hasn't let me down in .. ever .. and I've been using it since the Kickstarter :)

vmstek

Post by vmstek »

Thanks for the info.
Not being able to record off each tuner may be a problem if I cut the cord.

Storage is not a problem for me...I have several options available on my home network.
I have used TVHeadend running on a minimal install Linux server for years. It functioned fine with my HDHR4-2US, but I never did much recording.
However it would at times not tune-in channels that the HDHomerun app could.
Channel guide always functioned well on both.
The Zuki addon is giving me trouble on the OSMC boxes...both Matrix and Leia...but I will work with them on that issue.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

vmstek wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:50 pm The Zuki addon is giving me trouble on the OSMC boxes...both Matrix and Leia...but I will work with them on that issue.
What's the trouble?

vmstek

Post by vmstek »

djp952 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:12 am
vmstek wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:50 pm The Zuki addon is giving me trouble on the OSMC boxes...both Matrix and Leia...but I will work with them on that issue.
What's the trouble?
Picture comes up, then after a few seconds it goes to a blank screen for about 10 seconds.
It then comes back and is stable.
Does not matter if the channel is 1080 or 480.
It does not happen on my Linux server with Matrix, just the Vero4K's.

I have not run debug logs yet, but the regular log shown no attempted resolution changes.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

vmstek wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:54 am
djp952 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:12 am
What's the trouble?
Picture comes up, then after a few seconds it goes to a blank screen for about 10 seconds.
It then comes back and is stable.
Does not matter if the channel is 1080 or 480.
It does not happen on my Linux server with Matrix, just the Vero4K's.

I have not run debug logs yet, but the regular log shown no attempted resolution changes.
I recall something like that; most of my Vero 4K issues went away when I installed the updated video stack (https://osmc.tv/2021/04/the-new-video-s ... ero-4k-4k/). I've been running the Matrix build for quite some time now and have found it to be very stable; looks like that's generally available now (and has been since August?); are you still on the Leia build(s) or did you move up to 2021.08?

vmstek

Post by vmstek »

I have a Vero4K+ on Leia, and another Vero4K on Matrix.
Having the same issue on both.
I still have the old HDHomerun addon also on the Leia, and it does not do it.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Has anyone tried the new legacy device support?

djp952

Post by djp952 »

I'll probably build x.7.0 tomorrow with an assumption that legacy device support actually works, but I was trying to think of new things this addon might be able to do moving forward. Stable is good, but boring :)

Idea 1 - Implement some manner of "download" option for Recorded TV. This stems from the pandemic; when my daughter's Taekwondo reopened, but only for the students, my wife and I started sitting in the car for an hour twice a week and watching Amazon Prime or Disney+ shows. We blew out our mobile data cap rather quickly, so I started pre-downloading things to watch (except D+, 'cause I have a Windows tablet - CURSE YOU DISNEY). I thought it might be nice to be able to do the same through Kodi and Recorded TV.

There are a lot of potential problems here though. First off, the files are pretty massive; an hour of Recorded TV at 1080i can be around 8GB, and I can only imagine what a 4K recording would be. Without transcoding (nope) the best I could probably do to reduce the size would be to remux it into an .MKV format, which saves a bit of space, but not much. Compressing the data also yields very little gain size-wise and would ultimately prevent seeking on the stream (you'd have to sit through commercials - yuck).

I don't think Idea 1 is a good one, and even if it was it's something that would probably be better handled by Kodi so all PVR addons that support Recorded TV could benefit.

Idea 2 - Something that's always kind of bugged me is that users with multiple Kodi instances have to rely on each of them downloading and maintaining their own PVR databases. Kodi technically supports a shared PVR database, but it's not a recommended thing to do. Even with that turned on, each instance of this addon keeps it's own database anyway; there is no shared state other than that which is provided by HDHomeRun RECORD. I was thinking maybe take a page out of SD's book (and probably their 'sdnet' code) and provide an optional shared discovery engine/database that could be installed on a NAS?

I recently implemented my first NAS app for the Western Digital multi-disk devices (OS5) and found it to not be all that difficult. I think it wouldn't be much of a stretch to create a discovery app/database that lives on a NAS and handles all the things the addon does (optionally, of course), and allow each installed addon to query this app instead of doing all the work itself.

Both of these ideas are non-trivial to implement and would take me a long time. Idea 2 is harder to pull off than Idea 1, but Idea 1 might actually be more valuable than Idea 2 depending on how people are using Kodi these days. Any feedback you guys might have as to if these ideas are worth investigating or just plain stupid are appreciated. Change for the sake of change is a bad thing!

JEL

Post by JEL »

Thank you for the Kodi Hdhomerun pvr client, it has been great with our
Hdhomerun Extend and new 4K Flex. We were using Tvheadend but
with the multiple tuners, the setup overwhelmed me. I especially like how easy
it is to use the Hdhomerun 4K flex with it's attached usb drive to do the recordings
for our Kodi Leia setups.

I do have one minor problem, our favorite virtual channel NBC 8.1 ( Lancaster Pa)
is actually broadcast on two different channel frequencies, both us-bcast:35 and
us-bcast:8. Most times both have good enough reception but on bad weather days
us-bcast:8 is stronger/better. It appears the Hdhomerun always selects the first
available, which is us-bcast:35.

SCANNING: 599000000 (us-bcast:35)
LOCK: 8vsb (ss=81 snq=73 seq=100)
TSID: 0x09B3
PROGRAM 3: 8.1 WGAL-TV
PROGRAM 4: 8.2 WGAL-DT
PROGRAM 5: 8.3 SHOP LC
PROGRAM 6: 8.4 DEFY (no data)
PROGRAM 7: 8.5 TruReal (no data)

SCANNING: 183000000 (us-bcast:8)
LOCK: 8vsb (ss=100 snq=98 seq=100)
TSID: 0x09B3
PROGRAM 3: 8.1 WGAL-TV
PROGRAM 4: 8.2 WGAL-DT
PROGRAM 5: 8.3 SHOP LC
PROGRAM 6: 8.4 DEFY (no data)
PROGRAM 7: 8.5 TruReal (no data)

I thought about setting up a .strm file in Kodi using something like
ffmpeg -i <ip address>/tuner1/ch183000000-3 to create a file
for those times when us-bcast:35 is not as good as we like.

Is there a better way?

As I posted earlier, we love the way everything is so easy using the
4k flex with it's attached usb drive along with the
"Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client"
and have no desire to stop using this setup.

Thanks

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Hi JEL, I think there was some talk about a possible solution for your situation fairly recently, something along the lines of assigning different virtual channel numbers if there is overlap detected in the channel scan, but I may be misremembering that. Having different virtual channel numbers assigned by HDHomeRun would be ideal, but ...

Can you do me a favor and dump your discovery information for me to look at (will say how at the end)? If both channels are showing up in the lineup data with the different frequencies I might be able to concoct something. Most of the time, the addon will ask the tuner for the virtual channel as opposed to the frequency/modulation, but recent changes to support legacy tuners now allows for that too.

A concern I immediately have with what I'm thinking is that these channels would end up needing to be flagged as "tuner direct", which means the addon would never ask the DVR to tune the channel, so they wouldn't support timeshifting (seek), and probably use the legacy RDP/UTP streaming protocol. We'd also need to figure out what to do about the channel numbers.

It should be noted that anything hacked into addon would also have no effect outside of the addon; things like DVR recordings on "8.1" would still choose whatever channel it's choosing today, solving that really requires a lineup solution on the HDHomeRun side.

I'm game to at least see if it's possible, if you agree here's how to get the discovery information. In the Kodi PVR & Live TV Settings, make sure you're set to 'Expert' at the bottom and you should see a 'Client specific' category. From there, choose 'Client specific settings'. You should get a pick list that contains 'Export discovery diagnostic data', choose that. Browse to where you want the file to go, and it will generate a .zip file there. I'll PM you an e-mail address to send that to.

NOTE: The export strips out anything personally identifying, like your HDHomeRun account name and device authorization strings before saving.

JEL

Post by JEL »

Thank you for the reply, I did as you directed and emailed the discovery zip to your gmail address.

Once again, thank you

joe

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Hi JEL, to summarize the e-mail for the forum, it turns out that your tuners are only putting one of the channels in the lineup data so there is really no way to access the alternate channel from the addon :( It just won't know that it exists.

I'll try to find the thread(s) out here on the broader forum about similar situations others have had, perhaps adding another user on the radar for any potential device-side resolution might move the needle? Basically this looks like something only SiliconDust would be able to handle -- duplicate virtual channels on multiple frequencies.

Sorry man. It seemed like a reasonable shot in the dark, but it missed.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

The way channels are supposed to be added by the scan is resolution then by signal quality... codec can also be in there (I think it is between resolution and signal quality) but I haven't really seen it as I haven't had two of the same virtual channel number use different codecs other than ATSC 3.0 which was brief when they realized they needed a solution to allow either so the tuners now add 100 to the virtual channel number if it is ATSC 3.0 so such is no longer seen so they are no longer the same channel number this was done very quickly after the release of the "4K". I believe though it has tripped up some in europe who may get signals from another country as some use hevc while others use h.264. So in theory it never should be an issue as quality is what gets added assuming all else is the same and from what you submitted, I would think they both are the same other than quality. Often a repeater/simulcast would have a lower resolution and sometimes people will wish for that as it has better quality in their location.

The problem may come in with background scans... there was a person who from dawn to dusk had some light bulbs (CFL/LED) that caused issue so if the background scans were to occur during this time, it would change. Others have had the opposite where AC kicks in and their antenna in near such. I sometimes really do wish one could turn off such background scans.