Am I overreacting about this NAS

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
grumpygramp

Am I overreacting about this NAS

Postby grumpygramp » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Need some advice.

I just bought a Synology 218+ to use for the DVR. I bought it from Newegg and the Synology box (not the shipping box) is dented and ripped. I opened the bag that the NAS is in and it looks ok but I'm worried that it might be damaged internally or be a used NAS. The Synology box wasn't sealed.

Should I just use it and not worry? If it was purchased from a brick and motor store I'd return it and get a different one just for piece of mind. Am I overreacting?

Image Image

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Re: Am I overreacting about this NAS

Postby clarkss12 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:44 pm

I am assuming that it shipped without hard drives. If that is the case, I would not worry about it, as long as the NAS itself does not have any physical damage

grumpygramp

Postby grumpygramp » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:36 pm

Yes it's a diskless NAS; I should have mentioned that before. You're probably right if it looks ok it is ok but I'm still upset about it and a little worried. Must be my OCD; I don't like dented boxes or cans at the grocery store either. If the NAS starts to act up I'll think it's because of the rough handling the box received.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:09 pm

I'd contact their CS and bring my concerns to their attention. I wouldn't be pleased with the condition of that product packaging, either, and I'm not a novice wrt such things.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:17 pm

I gave up ordering anything NOT from Amazon - for one reason:
Bulletproof Return Policy - for ANY reason. Don't like the color of a Roku Puck (they're all black)? Send that baby back (and I'll buy it certified 'refurbished').

Even if I have to pay a little more at times (not often).

The NAS is probably fine though. At your age you have a lot more important stuff to worry about (I know I do).

;)

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Postby clarkss12 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:55 am

I have purchased many electronic items from Newegg throughout the years, without any issues. I have never had any problems with RMA's from them. Personally, I only purchase items from Amazon as a very last resort.

I am sure the Synology NAS has been shipped with Styrofoam molded to fit the NAS exactly, I would have to look at my packaging from my Synology NAS's to verify that. If that is the case, it would not even think about any damage that may be caused by the external packaging, as long as it is diskless.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:35 am

I have purchased many electronic items from Newegg throughout the years, without any issues. I have never had any problems with RMA's from them. Personally, I only purchase items from Amazon as a very last resort.
Same experience with Newegg. Same policy wrt Amazon.

grumpygramp

Postby grumpygramp » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:25 pm

I am sure the Synology NAS has been shipped with Styrofoam molded to fit the NAS exactly, I would have to look at my packaging from my Synology NAS's to verify that. If that is the case, it would not even think about any damage that may be caused by the external packaging, as long as it is diskless.
The NAS is only packed in thin foam bag and there's a thin foam sheet over the box. It's a pretty long rip in the box; to get that way someone was trying to open the box the wrong way or it git hit pretty hard.

grumpygramp

Postby grumpygramp » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:42 am

Did an RMA on March 18th and I received the replacement yesterday. They also offered me an Advanced RMA where I could have gotten the replacement NAS in 2 or 3 days but that would have involved reissuing the gift cards I used to buy the original NAS. Newegg also gave me a $10 gift card and upgraded the shipping to next day air for my inconvenience.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”