HDHR3-DT stopped working after upgrade

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
johndrakes

HDHR3-DT stopped working after upgrade

Postby johndrakes » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:43 am

Hi All,
I'm in Australia and my trusty HDHR3-DT stopped working after installing hdhomerun_windows_20190221.
I have been using it for years to watch and record OTA TV with NextPVR and Kodi.
I ran HDHomeRun setup which I presume updated the firmware to the latest version.
The configuration tab shows the device id with 2 tuners
The digital antenna tab shows the device id but when I try a scan it stops immediately with "ERROR: Device not found"
The HDHomeRun app from the windows store says device not found
The my.hdhomerun.com web site sometimes finds the device but no channels
The first green light on the left is on
I can't find any logs to give me any more information
I tried doing a scan with NextPVR and it detected the HDHR3-DT with 2 tuners but the scan found no channels
Any suggestions would be much appreciated

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: HDHR3-DT stopped working after upgrade

Postby signcarver » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:52 am

In my opinion, one should never update the firmware of legacy tuners to that which provides the "hack" to be detected as if it were a modern tuner while not supporting the full compliment of the modern method of tuning. One reason is that there is software out there that fails when it discovers by the modern method but isn't fully capable, particularly if there is not a lineup available.

At the very least to make it work you will have to get that scan done from windows as that is the only way to populate the lineup on SD's servers. Unlike modern devices that maintain their own lineup and can do their own scan the lineup for legacy devices is stored in the cloud by SD from that windows scan.

From the symptoms, i would look at firewall and security software and personally may even try to capture some network packets to make sure things are ok on that front (but would never expect a user to do so. But there may also be a good chance that the power supply is failing so suggest testing with another (same volts/polarity, (capable of) higher amps is ok)

My understanding of signals in Australia is that you might be better off going to a 4th or 5th gen unit to get a dvb-t2 capable tuner.

johndrakes

Postby johndrakes » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:39 am

Thanks for your help signcarver
Looks like I might be flogging a dead horse
I wasn't trying to update the firmware I was reinstalling all the software after a reinstall of Windows following a hard disk failure.
From what you are saying I'm guessing I may not have needed to reinstall the HDHomeRun software but it's too late now.
I tried running an older version of HDHomeRun Setup (20140121) but it didn't fix the issue.
The latest HDHomeRun Setup (20190221) sometimes detects the HDHR3-DT but a scan always fails immediately with
"ERROR: Device not found"
Is there any way of reverting to an older version of the firmware?

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Postby ebo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:49 pm

I tried running an older version of HDHomeRun Setup (20140121) but it didn't fix the issue.
. . .
Is there any way of reverting to an older version of the firmware?
Maybe. The 1st and 2nd generation US models can be downgraded but not the 4th gen or later. I don't know about the 3rd gen. But you can try. When you reinstalled the older HDHR software it should have left its version of the firmware in the program directory. It has a .bin extension. You can run hdhomerun_config_gui.exe (also in the program directory), click on the unit's ID number and then the Upgrade tab. Select the .bin file for your model and attempt to install it. When I tried that years ago with my gen 4 tuner, the installation appeared to be successful (no error messages) but when I checked the version number it hadn't changed.

If the downgrade works and you reinstall the newer software, it will want to upgrade again and I don't remember if it will ask first or just do it. My workaround for that was to make a separate directory for .bin files and move them out of the program directory.

johndrakes

Postby johndrakes » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:24 am

Thanks EBO
Looks like downgrade isn't possible
I tried hdhomerun_config_gui and hdhomerun_config
I had to try each command multiple times just to detect the device but when it did detect it the upgrade failed as shown in the console output below

C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 1111348B upgrade hdhomerun3_dvbt_firmware_20140121.bin
unable to connect to device

C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 1111348B upgrade hdhomerun3_dvbt_firmware_20140121.bin
unable to connect to device

uploading firmware...
error sending upgrade file to hdhomerun device

The version hasn't changed
C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun>hdhomerun_config 1111348B get /sys/version

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Postby ebo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:42 pm

Your error messages suggest you have an intermittent connection from your PC to your HDHR. How are they connected? Via Ethernet through a router? Or a switch? If WiFi is involved, replace it with a wired connection, at least for the downgrade attempt.

Other possibilities include bad cables or connectors, problems with the router or switch (if you're using a switch the router shouldn't cause a problem), a marginal HDHR power supply (they do go bad, usually slowly), or the PC firewall blocking the connection. Although I wouldn't expect the firewall to allow the connection at some times and not others.

I've never had an issue with HDHomeRun Config GUI seeing and connecting to my HDHRs (I have 4 of them). And I use it a lot because it tells me how good my reception is without higher level programs or any need to connect to SiliconDust's servers getting in the way. Older installations used to put a shortcut to it on the desktop but later ones don't. As a result, most new users don't know it exists. I think adding the shortcut should at least be a user option during installation.

Do what you can to get the Config GUI to connect to your HDHR reliably. If successful, you can try the downgrade again. But the symptoms are that the HDHR isn't making a reliable connection to your PC and it doesn't see any antenna signals either. That strongly suggests a power supply problem. Try another if you have a compatible one, or buy one. Specs are here. I recommend getting a higher current rating than required. If it needs 1A, get 2A or even 2.5A. Power supplies that aren't pushed close to their maximum ratings tend to last longer.

Once you resolve your connection and reception problems you probably won't need to downgrade. I held off upgrading for several years because I knew I couldn't downgrade my HDHR4 and I wasn't sure about the others. But I finally did and it caused no problems.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”