Questions re switch from Plex to HDHR DVR

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
PompousAss

Questions re switch from Plex to HDHR DVR

Postby PompousAss » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:19 pm

My hardware:

Quatro
Shield for server with 500 gig Samsung T5
Two recent vintage Rokus
One Angry Birds Roku (still working fine!) from 2013
One Fire TV Stick (2nd gen, not 4K)
Synology NAS

I'm not happy with my Plex server performance/functionality and am strongly considering a move to the HDHomeRun DVR.

I originally went with Plex because of the lack of an HDHR app for Roku, but I understand the use of the Channels apps for Roku and for the Fire Stick are now included with the HDHR DVR. Can I watch live TV using Channels on Roku/Amazon devices? If so, other than the six-year-old Roku, can they stream mpeg2 directly from the Quatro or will the Shield have to transcode it? Is the EPG avaliable with this setup?

Other than remote access, what high profile features would I lose?

The Android instructions page suggests setting up the USB drive as external storage. I already have it set up as part of the Shield's internal storage for the Plex server. I realize this inhibits the portability of the data, but is there a performance (or any other technical) reason to reformat the drive and convert it to external storage? Will it work better/faster as an exFAT drive instead of as EXT4?

Thanks in advance.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Questions re switch from Plex to HDHR DVR

Postby jasonl » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:22 pm

As far as I know, Channels cannot use the HDHomeRun DVR, as it has its own separate DVR system. And unless I'm missing something, Channels doesn't have a Roku app either, just iOS/AppleTV/Android/FireTV. Your primary options for having a DVR and using Roku are Plex and Emby, and maybe Jellyfin, which is an open-source fork of Emby.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:55 pm

As far as I know, Channels cannot use the HDHomeRun DVR, as it has its own separate DVR system. And unless I'm missing something, Channels doesn't have a Roku app either, just iOS/AppleTV/Android/FireTV. Your primary options for having a DVR and using Roku are Plex and Emby, and maybe Jellyfin, which is an open-source fork of Emby.
Roku does have Channels DVR Client.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Ah, I found it, looks like they still consider it experimental and that's why it's not advertised as a supported client on the apps page.

Jford951

Postby Jford951 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:18 am

Ah, I found it, looks like they still consider it experimental and that's why it's not advertised as a supported client on the apps page.
How did you find the Roku app

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:41 pm

PompousAss

Postby PompousAss » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:57 pm

So my least expensive option, if i want to try the HDHR DVR service with anything other than the Shield, is a Mi Box?

sspell

Postby sspell » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:49 am

So my least expensive option, if i want to try the HDHR DVR service with anything other than the Shield, is a Mi Box?
Ematic AGT418 Jetstream 4k runs official Android TV OS. It's better than the mibox used both it has micro sd card slot, ethernet, Optical audio. You stuck with wifi on the mibox. Walmart was selling them may be still available $69.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:31 am

MiBox would be the least expensive right now. $10 more for the Jetstream, which is worth it if you have ethernet available. Occasionally you can still find the FireTV pendant model (woot.com had it for $34.99 for Amazon Prime members a couple weeks back), which is a good option for OTA or non-DRM CableCARD (but not Premium TV or DRM channels), but you have to really keep an eye out because it doesn't last long.

Return to “Third Party Software”