Premium TV not available on FireTV devices

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
curt

Re: Premium TV not available on FireTV devices

Postby curt » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:22 am

Up until today I at least was able to view my premium channels on the fire tv. The guide was there with the premium channels listed but no data for the premium channels. Now today all the premium channels are gone from the guide so you are totally unable to view the channels thru the fire tv app.
SiliconDust should have put out an announcement of where they stand day to day on this suit to there subscribers. Also informing them if there is a possible fix. Say goodbye to your customer base.

johndee

Postby johndee » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:41 am

Up until today I at least was able to view my premium channels on the fire tv. The guide was there with the premium channels listed but no data for the premium channels. Now today all the premium channels are gone from the guide so you are totally unable to view the channels thru the fire tv app.
SiliconDust should have put out an announcement of where they stand day to day on this suit to there subscribers. Also informing them if there is a possible fix. Say goodbye to your customer base.
I rebooted every everything and it came back on the stick like you described with limited graphics
I also put laptop on the main tv with a usb drive to catch the dvr files, the windows app works good and you have a mouse which is better and faster

curt

Postby curt » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:11 am

I just tried rebooting the fire tv and the Homerun Connect. The premium listings still do not show up on mine. I can't pay for a service I don't receive. I also have no intention of casting from my windows pc to watch. I don't leave my pc on or use it as a media center. I was happy with the service up until now.

tonywagner

Postby tonywagner » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:49 am

Also informing them if there is a possible fix.
More information about alternatives and workarounds from SD would have been nice.

I don't have a setup to test right now, but from memory, the best free alternative for Fire TV users right now would probably be sideloading Kodi and installing the HDHomeRun addon from within Kodi.

1. Generic sideloading instructions:
http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-sideload ... ownloader/

2. Kodi Android APK short link (to enter in the Downloader app from step 1):
https://1n.pm/3Y2Oq

3. Silicondust's HDHomeRun Kodi instructions (sideloading takes care of the first "download & install" step):
https://my.hdhomerun.com/instructions/kodi/

According to that Silicondust page, this should provide your OTA channels, your Premium TV channels if you subscribe to them, and access to your DVR too if you subscribe to the HDHomeRun DVR service. Hopefully someone who uses this setup could chime in with more details.

ycavan

Postby ycavan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:06 pm

This is just my 2 cents... Amazon is who you should be upset with, not SD. SD is providing a service as well as they can & Amazon is a direct competitor to SD in this field, so they are using any means possible to cripple SD's offerings.

Having said that? SD has an excellent product with software that can be installed on a multitude of devices. If you get the annual DVR subscription, you can use their app on other devices to record shows.. You can install Plex and use that to view live tv and/or record shows.. I don't use Emby, but from what I have heard? You can use it to watch live tv and/or record shows.

My setup is fairly simple.. I have a pc that has Plex & HDHomerun DVR running on it. My wife uses the HDHomerun app on her laptop to set up recording tasks. I have Plex pointed to the HDHomerun DVR recordings folder as well as mapping 1 of our SD devices... On our fire sticks? I have Plex installed on them because my wife is familiar with that gui. We can watch recordings & live tv through Plex.

So when you are kvetching about how horrible SD is due to a decision made by Amazon? It's frustrating to me that people can be so wrong-headed with where they place their anger.

tldr: Other alternatives exist for the pulled SD software on fire sticks & don't get mad @ SD because Amazon is being a jerk.

tonywagner

Postby tonywagner » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:17 pm

This is just my 2 cents... Amazon is who you should be upset with, not SD.
I won't get into details (so as not to provoke the moderator), but I think there is more than enough blame to go around here.

And FWIW, Amazon is at least being consistent -- best as I can tell, there are no Omniverse providers in the Amazon app store right now.

curt

Postby curt » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:51 am

Well, as much as I hate to, I will be canceling my premium subscription. I don't understand SiliconDust not informing it's customers of what it is doing and any anticipated plan to compensate it's customers. I'm sure there are quite a few subscribers that are viewing on the fire tv or fire stick.

They are still advertising the fire tv and fire stick as available supported devices. Having to dig through these forum listings is no way to find out about what is going on with your equipment and services. I do blame SilconDust for this. They are responsible for providing a service which has been paid for by it's customers no matter where they acquire that service from. It is there responsibility to inform the customer base of problems or interruptions.

This is like going to a movie theater with multiple screens which has no billboard telling you what is playing. You pay with a credit card (no human interaction) and go to the first screen and wait until it starts to find out what the show is. Not satisfied with the first you go to the next which has been long started so you miss the beginning, and you continue until you find the one you will watch. You go the next day and do the same thing only this time you view a black screen at all of them. Naturally there is no refund because there is no interaction. Naturally you stop going and paying because the lack of information at first and then the total lack of service.

Yes they do have a good product but have very poor customer relations.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:35 am

They are still advertising the fire tv and fire stick as available supported devices.
There should not be anywhere where FireTV is still advertised as supporting Premium TV. If you find something please post a link.
Having to dig through these forum listings is no way to find out about what is going on with your equipment and services. [...] Yes they do have a good product but have very poor customer relations.
We run this forum to provide additional paths to support and to provide service announcements. We have a service/health thread at the top which you can subscribe to if you want email alerts. We also provide email support, phone call-back support, and IRC support.

Nick

curt

Postby curt » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:48 am

nick

Here is a link to the site still advertising fire tv and fire stick. https://www.silicondust.com/live-tv/

Don't get me wrong, I understand what the forum is about. My problem is when this all came about there was no notification to the customer base letting us know what was happening. They have email addresses of their subscribers and should have notified the customer base. I spent hours rebooting my devices and checking settings thinking it was all on my end. After a lot of searching I found what I needed to know on this forum.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:13 am

Here is a link to the site still advertising fire tv and fire stick. https://www.silicondust.com/live-tv/
That looks to be correct - FireTV supports OTA and cable - both live and DVR. Fire TV doesn't support HDHomeRun Premium TV or DRM protected cable channels.

curt

Postby curt » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:23 am

Just to back up what I am talking about, info@silocondust.com on 2/23/2018 sent out an email to premium subscribers notifying them that an issue outside of their control has slightly reduced the number of channels available to HDHomeRun PremiumTV subscribers. They then proactively issued HDHomeRun Premium TV subscribers a $10 credit.

They could have done the something similar in this instance. We received nothing, no notification.

curt

Postby curt » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:27 am

But on Fire TV you cannot install the HDHomerun app from Amazon.

tonywagner

Postby tonywagner » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:37 am

That looks to be correct - FireTV supports OTA and cable - both live and DVR. Fire TV doesn't support HDHomeRun Premium TV or DRM protected cable channels.
Nick, it appears the app still isn't back in the Amazon app store, which could be a source of confusion. (On top of the confusion between "Live TV" meaning OTA/cable and "Premium TV" -- unless explicitly stated, I would expect your apps that support Live TV would also support Premium TV, as has been the case up until now, correct?)

Adding a note to that page about the current sideloading requirements might be a good idea, at minimum.

On a related subject, your website is still advertising Premium TV channels which have been missing for over 2 weeks now. I understand that you expect them to return, but we've probably passed some kind of threshold there too.

johndee

Postby johndee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:44 pm

I downloaded 20190220-150 _minAP119 TO SIDE LOAD but after it installs it comes back with "incompatible"
I did it 4 different times, and it appears like everything is fine until it comes back with "incompatible"
I haven't found a "cookbook" version on how to side load that exact apk into a firestick, there are so
little things that nobody mentions in other how to side load articles, at first I just let it load the HDHR already on the Galaxy Tab A
when that failed I downloaded 20190220-150 _minAP119 into files and installed it but it still came the after "installing" and said
"incompatible"
One of the sticks lost Premium Tv, one did not so I guess it will eventually lose PTV so I am trying to get ahead of it
Laptops just fine, its sticks that are failing

johndee

Postby johndee » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:18 am

I downloaded 20190220-150 _minAP119 TO SIDE LOAD but after it installs it comes back with "incompatible"
I did it 4 different times, and it appears like everything is fine until it comes back with "incompatible"
I haven't found a "cookbook" version on how to side load that exact apk into a firestick, there are so
little things that nobody mentions in other how to side load articles, at first I just let it load the HDHR already on the Galaxy Tab A
when that failed I downloaded 20190220-150 _minAP119 into files and installed it but it still came the after "installing" and said
"incompatible"
One of the sticks lost Premium Tv, one did not so I guess it will eventually lose PTV so I am trying to get ahead of it
Laptops just fine, its sticks that are failing
Maybe I should ask? Will Premium Channels be available on the side loaded SD? Or just the OTA channels

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”