When the Prime 6 comes out, how many are you planning on getting

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
MinistryOfMagic

Re: When the Prime 6 comes out, how many are you planning on getting

Post by MinistryOfMagic » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:33 pm

We have a new cable provider that is currently installing 100% fiber through out the city I live in and the city next to us. I asked if they support cablecards and they said no, we don't use cablecards. They are 100% fiber and based on IPTV. They are offering incredible pricing and if I leave my current cable provider, I'll no longer have a need for the Prime 6.

https://www.metronetinc.com

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:55 pm

MinistryOfMagic wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:33 pm
We have a new cable provider that is currently installing 100% fiber through out the city I live in and the city next to us. I asked if they support cablecards and they said no, we don't use cablecards. They are 100% fiber and based on IPTV. They are offering incredible pricing and if I leave my current cable provider, I'll no longer have a need for the Prime 6.

https://www.metronetinc.com
Fiber just means having an ONT box convert the signal. A quick Google suggests that if you pester them enough and keep asking to speak to someone higher up on the chain, you'll eventually get someone who knows what they're talking about and will help you set it up (according to some customers with Metronet fiber as of a year ago).

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:53 pm

I believe most areas with metronet went to iptv about 4-5 years ago but there are a few that still can support cablecards. A know a few years ago it was even neighborhood by neighborhood in some places and one couldn't even check

Best i can say if you switch is to get a box and learn how to check its diagnostics screens and if it has a cablecard, see if it is tuning by qam or ip.