Lon interview with SD ...Prime 6 looks a long way away ..

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Lon interview with SD ...Prime 6 looks a long way away ..

Postby NYPlayer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:31 pm

https://youtu.be/zHlHvhaXqz8

After watching this Video I do not think we will be getting the Prime 6 anytime soon.

dmbmke
Device ID: 10421A53, 1071527A

Re: Lon interview with SD ...Prime 6 looks a long way away ..

Postby dmbmke » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:24 pm

The hemming and hawing about “the guts aren’t available but we’ve made progress” doesn’t make much sense.

Ted talks a good CEO line about shifting operational focus but the proof is in the pudding. Premium TV and DVR are where the ongoing revenue stream is. To think that any small company would focus on a box that isn’t continually monetizable is naive.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:31 pm

The hemming and hawing about “the guts aren’t available but we’ve made progress” doesn’t make much sense.

Ted talks a good CEO line about shifting operational focus but the proof is in the pudding. Premium TV and DVR are where the ongoing revenue stream is. To think that any small company would focus on a box that isn’t continually monetizable is naive.
Before watching that video I had hopes for the Prime 6 but after watching it I do not think it will happen this year if ever.

dmbmke
Device ID: 10421A53, 1071527A

Postby dmbmke » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:34 pm

I hear the clock ticking down to when this will be scrubbed.

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:47 pm

So they are waiting for full Drm support?

RockandRoller70
Device ID: 1311127E / 1322D7A7

Postby RockandRoller70 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:12 pm

I think the only reason they tied recording protected content (DRM) to the Prime 6 was solely to give them cover since it's pretty clear they stopped work on Prime 6, recording protected content and the new UI to focus on Premium TV and new hardware and just didn't want to to be honest about it.

grumpygramp

Postby grumpygramp » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:03 pm

I think he was referring to the fact that the guts for the Prime 3 aren't available (https://youtu.be/zHlHvhaXqz8?t=978) but now they can focus more attention on the Prime 6.

I agree that the proof is in the pudding. I figure as long as no other new products get in the way we'll see the Prime 6 late this year.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Postby foxbat121 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:50 am

With Prime3 out of production, Prime6 no where to be found, I think SD hopes if it waits long enough, no one knows or cares about DRM recording anymore :)

Good thing I have two Prime3 already. No real need for me for Prime6.

ZacMan
Device ID: 10115FF2, 1033A485, 13106388, 13111AC9, 1060B7DD

Postby ZacMan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:19 am

Prime 6 is the priority for this year. Guts for the 3 are unavailable.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:42 pm

I think getting Premium TV up to spec is the priority right now.

GammaDev

Postby GammaDev » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:08 pm

According to the CES 2018 interview, it was also a priority for them in 2018. As was DVR DRM. As was an updated UI. See that's the problem when a company inexplicably makes promises and then goes radio silent for months. The Boy Who Cried Wolf keeps coming to mind. I'm not sure the employees posting here (with their "humorous" remarks) really get what a precarious situation SiliconDust is in. SD obviously needs people to sign up for their Premium service or else they wouldn't have (as their CEO just admitted) put their focus on it at the expense of their current products, obligations, and past promises. But to more than 99% of their potential customers, SiliconDust has no name recognition. They are directly competing against Youtube, Amazon, *****, and soon Apple. The average consumer is not going to pass over those names in favor of SiliconDust. Unlike its rivals, SiliconDust doesn't have tens of millions to spend on advertising. Even ***** runs regular tv ads. So initially Premium is going to have to sell to people who are already familiar with SiliconDust- namely its current customers. So it boggles the mind that SD hasn't been forthcoming about delays to its promised deliveries. It absolutely needs killer word-of-mouth to sell Premium. Now some fans and SD employees might try to argue that they have a superior solution to their rivals (arguable with their current UI) but they also have one with a higher difficulty of entry. It requires specific hardware compared to Youtube (which needs no hardware) and they don't have the ecosystem Amazon enjoys for a similar system. Anybody with enough initiative and resolve to consider SiliconDust (who isn't an existing customer who hasn't been put off by the delays and broken promises) is going to do research. And they are going to find a lot of negative reviews on places like Amazon, particularly calling out the lack updates and questionable customer service. And be honest, any time you research on Amazon, you skim the positive reviews but you really drill down on the negative reviews because you don't want to be stuck with a turkey. And for word of mouth, even satisfied customers are orders of magnitude less likely to make a recommendation than dissatisfied customers. That's just the unfortunate reality. Are you willing to risk recommending something to a friend that might not work out for them (and have to hear about it every time you meet) or are you more likely to steer a friend away from a bad experience? So I think SD needs a real person who is sole job is community relations and should not let their tech support engage in snarky and sometimes argumentative and dismissive replies to customers. People will forgive a company for a late launch (see the two Half-Life games),but they rarely forgive a company for being dishonest and disrespectful. Making concrete promises (Prime 6 will roll out mid-2018, the new UI is rolling out as we speak, DRM DVR support is coming "soon") and then going silent is a form of dishonesty. It's basically saying "We got your money already, you're not worth our time anymore while we chase new money". And hearing, "we've made a huge update to the UI and implemented most of your requests- we just haven't released it yet" or "I have a Prime 6 at my house, so it's real I just won't give you a ship date" doesn't help. In fact, it just makes it worse. They may intend to be humorous or "real", but some of us have run out of patience and all we want to hear now are facts, updates, and contrition.

Update: Really? S-L-I-N-G is considered a "dirty word"?
Last edited by GammaDev on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:13 pm

I think getting Premium TV up to spec is the priority right now.
5 months of gum-flappin' hasn't done a thing.
Talk is cheap.
So far, it's all hat and no cattle.

Sorahl

Postby Sorahl » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:55 am

i'm not going to be as negative as some folks, and I've been waiting just as long. I don't see folks slamming Amazon for not having released the Alexa Auto before Christmas as promised. I don't want it pushed through production to meet some stupid Ad Executives fake deadline. Yeah... its frustrating... but it would be more frustrating to get it delivered and have it not work. so... i'll keep waiting.

jeffddntdt

Postby jeffddntdt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:17 am

I can understand production problems for about 6 months. But here we are going on a year at least. SD has always had communication issues. Long time customers are getting use to it. But to put priorities towards Premium Tv doesn't make sense to me.

The future will be streaming services not individual channels. If you really look at it honestly, with the future creation with studio streaming sites (ABC and CBS) vs the existing streaming services (Netflix and Hulu, Amazon) the networks will eventually disappear or get consumed by the larger streaming services. Thus causing content to drop from services like the Premium TV SD has launched. I do understand that it may take 5-10 years for it to fully come around, but it will happen. If you are going to dedicate those resources then they need to be toward creating a platform to incorporate the streaming services and to have it available to as many devices as possible. SD has been really good at developing devices but the platform and software is lacking at times. It's like they are trying to do a 180.

You can't put aside the bread and butter to create something new. It just tastes bad.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:06 am

I hear the clock ticking down to when this will be scrubbed.
I wouldn't be surprised. I've suggested the possibility before. Consider:

Ref: Is Cable Dying? Where Cord Cutting Stands Now

On the other hand, as the article notes:
It's also important to put these losses in perspective. Since 2013, cable has gone from being in around 95 million homes to being in 92 million now. That's a drop, but it's hardly the death of an industry...
On the gripping hand: One might reasonable suspect cord-cutters are exactly the kind of subscription TV subscribers that would be most likely to think outside the box and buy a Prime 6. Thus, as cord-cutting accelerates, SD's market for Prime 6 devices shrinks even more quickly.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”