Servio and Scribe

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
rrussis82

Re: Servio and Scribe

Postby rrussis82 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:19 pm

If HD Homerun Quattro (or Prime 6 when it comes out) for example and HD homerun DVR were to be setup on an NVIDIA Shield with an attached USB, then is it possible to move the data from the Shield to Scribe or Servio without much trouble or could we also we just move the DVR to the Servio and point it to the recorded data on the Shield USB? I assume only one HD HR DVR can run on a network?
Neither the scribe nor the servio will accept a USB drive. With that said, part of the point of the servio is to expand the number of DVR storage devices you own. That means if you got a Quatro now and used the Quatro's storage, you can also get a Scribe or Servio and expand your total storage capacity.
did you mean Shield's storage?

marks

Postby marks » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:44 am

Yes, to clarify I meant Shield's USB attached storage.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:23 am

If HD Homerun Quattro (or Prime 6 when it comes out) for example and HD homerun DVR were to be setup on an NVIDIA Shield with an attached USB, then is it possible to move the data from the Shield to Scribe or Servio without much trouble or could we also we just move the DVR to the Servio and point it to the recorded data on the Shield USB? I assume only one HD HR DVR can run on a network?
Neither the scribe nor the servio will accept a USB drive. With that said, part of the point of the servio is to expand the number of DVR storage devices you own. That means if you got a Quatro now and used the Quatro's storage, you can also get a Scribe or Servio and expand your total storage capacity.
did you mean Shield's storage?
Whoops, yes. Brainfart. Will fix the original post.

msuckow

Postby msuckow » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Neither the scribe nor the servio will accept a USB drive.
I understand the business decision to keep these devices as simple as possible, but that is a shame.
The main appeal to me of these new devices is that I would no longer need to keep a PC always on as my DVR. My PC has a couple of expansion USB drives, that would be orphaned if I switched to a Servio.

The alternative would be to buy a NAS and setup the DVR there, but I haven't been able to justify the cost yet.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:18 pm

I understand the business decision to keep these devices as simple as possible, but that is a shame.
The main appeal to me of these new devices is that I would no longer need to keep a PC always on as my DVR. My PC has a couple of expansion USB drives, that would be orphaned if I switched to a Servio.
I can understand why people might like to be able to plug in USB drives, but you're right, allowing for that really moves away from the goal of these products, which is to completely remove the sense of "DIY" necessary to get DVR setup. We want the whole process to feel so unbelievably easy that people feel comfortable letting their grandparents do it themselves.

I think you've got the right idea for your situation. If you want to connect some existing drives up to the network, some kind of NAS is the way to go. I've actually gone the super cheap route with that in the past and setup a Raspberry Pi as a barebones NAS and plugged in some drives to it. But that's going about as far DIY the other way as you can. :)

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:28 pm

Also note that SCRIBE and SERVIO use hard drives rated for 24/7 video use.

Nick

Return to “Future Product Discussion”