Stop generating daily text file?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
fizban11

Stop generating daily text file?

Postby fizban11 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:31 am

Is there a way to stop generating the daily activity text file that seems to show in the recording directory? I don't know if this is a log file that is made in case of issues, but I don't have send diagnostics to HDHR checked, no problems at all. I just happened to browse the destination directory on my PC and there were 59 of these text files, one for each day for the last two months, since the last time I cleaned them out.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Stop generating daily text file?

Postby signcarver » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:06 am

Currently the dvr will always keep a log, and my understanding that this is always sent to SD whether reporting is on or not (they may change this at some point as to how much they need to collect from every dvr subscriber but one reason for it is that it is a record of the information you "share" with SD... when you turn on reporting for tuner or device, they see much more information than what us reported to you and as a result need to give them "permission" by turning such on). They had previously mentioned that it may not log as much once it was out of beta but since that time, it had been mentioned it was required to keep the hard drive active as there were issues bringing it up quick enough to start recording. I wouldn't expect any changes of such until after DRM recording and/or they release their "Connect Duo+" or whatever they decide to call the tuner with the built in dvr (was announced about a year ago along with the prime 6).

My personal expectation is they will eventually may make it one file with a setting of how large it can grow and a setting of how much gets logged perhaps even a just keep alive setting (or even if required to keep disk spinning). Or at the time they add how many episodes to keep for a series, they may also decide to add a how many days of log to keep.

fizban11

Postby fizban11 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:40 am

Sign carver,

I appreciate the info, and I truly appreciate the details! Thanks! You mentioned giving permission to share device info, where do I turn off the device info sharing, or is that on by default somewhere that I can’t access? Or is it that the logs are being generated and if I turn on the share diagnostic info in setup, those files are included? I don’t mind sharing info, but I had no idea it was sharing everything, all the time, whether I want to or not.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:50 am

Sign carver,

I appreciate the info, and I truly appreciate the details! Thanks! You mentioned giving permission to share device info, where do I turn off the device info sharing, or is that on by default somewhere that I can’t access? Or is it that the logs are being generated and if I turn on the share diagnostic info in setup, those files are included? I don’t mind sharing info, but I had no idea it was sharing everything, all the time, whether I want to or not.
If you're uncomfortable with sharing data, then SD's DVR isn't the software for you. It requires "phoning home" regularly for it to work. Most people tend to expect their DVR and TV service to work without internet connnectivity (except for the occasional guide info download); SD's service doesn't work that way, as recording rules are stored on SD's servers instead of your local computer and authorization for running the DVR requires checking in with their servers regularly.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:36 am

they may also decide
Early on there were suggestions that one or more different solutions to minimize/trim the log(s) would be available. There were also a few requests to use, perhaps optionally, the platforms native logging mechanisms which would address the issue(s) differently. As the amount of disk space is almost trivial, and there are bigger fish to sauté in the ecosystem, the work has probably been set on the back burner to simmer.

emg60060

Postby emg60060 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:05 pm

I'm running FreeNAS and just scheduled a nightly CRON job:
find /path/to/HDHomeRun/*.log -mtime +15 -type f -delete

I'm not familiar with QNAP or WD net work storage, but a similar command could be run with Task Scheduler on a Windows box with Powershell.

emg60060

Postby emg60060 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:33 pm

If anyone is interested, this command works for me:

Code: Select all

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -command "& { $log = Get-Item \\server\share\*.log; $dellimit = (Get-Date).AddDays(-15); ForEach ($file in $log){If ($file.LastWriteTime -lt $dellimit){Remove-Item $file}} } "

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”