HDHRBevo support issue

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
HDHRBevo

HDHRBevo support issue

Postby HDHRBevo » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:52 pm

Since this thread is comparing the Recast to the HDHomerun, I would guess it is fair to also compare the support for said devices. ;) Today (a Sunday), I decided to call Amazon and report a problem with my recast. Yep, I was able to "call" their support, imagine that! :shock: Further, I had a very long conversation after being quickly forwarded to their level 2 support staff. After describing the problem to the tech he put me on hold for about 3 or 4 minutes while he researched whether the problem had previously been reported. Turns out it had, with a slightly different (and perhaps more accurate) description than the one I provided him. Now, consistent with most issues of this nature, there was no commitment to "when" a fix might be delivered, but if/when it is delivered, it will be done automatically with no intervention or SW update required on my part. Those of you who have reported HDHR DVR problems to SD know, this is a far departure from their process and feedback. :(

Granted, it still remains to be seen if/when Amazon delivers on a fix, but so far I am at least encouraged. 8-) I have been waiting since early October on a response from SD on a very similar issue (ticket #105071), only to discover today they closed the ticket in late November with no (email) feedback or resolution/work-around.

Thanks
Gary

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: HDHRBevo support issue

Postby nateb » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:14 am

I’ve split this post out because it is a support issue. Clearly the original support request got lost, and I wanted to make sure this one was not.

I looked up your ticket. Do you mind if I respond here, or would you prefer a response in-ticket? Here might be easier, because this may be something for the engineering side to look at.

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:09 am

Yes Nateb here is fine, since I don't seem to get email when the ticket status changes, perhaps this will be better in that regard. Also, for more information on this issue, this thread goes into more detail about this problem, hardware, and different "work-around" approaches that were tried by me and several others:
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=69842

Thanks
Gary

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:17 pm

Oh that's right. I knew your name looked familiar. So you can fairly reliably cause it to break, right?

Can you turn on diagnostic info on your HDHomemeRun and your app: viewtopic.php?t=69066

And then make it break again? And also, for tech follk:

2 HDHomerun Connect duals HDHR4-2US
1041E97F w/20180327 Firmware
104DB1D w/20180327 Firmware

Report back when you've gotten a successful break, and I'll point someone to it.

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:50 pm

Ok, to be clear, you are asking me to upgrade the firmware to 20180817? Right? This MAY create a different environment, from the one that the ticket was created under.

Gary

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:59 pm

Oh, can you only turn on diagnostic info with updated firmware? If so, then yeah, updating is a good idea. Generally speaking updating is always a good idea. If that fixes the problem on its own, then we'll know the answer for everyone is to just upgrade the firmware.

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:49 am

Tell you what, I will run it both ways (if I can), before and after to see if there is any difference. I will set this up for the Thursday (12/6) night football game since my failures involve skips while watching a recorded program while it is still being recorded.

Gary

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:54 pm

Interesting run last night. It worked fine all through the entire game. No freezes. :o Had a few brief pauses but no biggie. I used both the 30 second skips (fwd/rev) & the 10 min skips, all successfully. Before last nights test, I had not used the SD DVR since getting my Recast. I have to wonder if a recent version of the Windows Universal app rolled out since then that fixed this issue? Perhaps that may have led support to close my ticket?

Anyway, I have set it up to record all (4) of Sunday's (12/9) OTA Games and I will continue testing with the debug checkbox checked. I tested last night on my Win 10 (DVR) machine, but Sunday if that works fine, I will also test on my Fire TV (Cube). In the past, it actually failed quicker than Win 10.

Later
Gary

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:41 pm

I'd generally expect win10 to work better than most other places, because the speed of the platform is sometimes better at hiding faults. I'm not aware of our having released any updates to fix the issue. I guess if it resolves itself, yay. If not, let us know how Sunday goes.

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:17 am

I'm not aware of our having released any updates to fix the issue.
Can you find out? Just asking. 8-)

Gary

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:28 pm

Well today, Sunday (12/9), SD is back to the old problems. First, with the NYG/WAS game on Fox (Ch 4), that started recording at 12:00 noon (all times CST). Started watching the recording about 1:40 PM, froze about 3:01 PM, after about 1-2 minutes of froze screen, kicked back to the recordings main menu.

Then I went over to the Fire TV (Cube) HDHR app, HOU/IND game that also started recording at 12:00 noon on CBS (Ch11). Started watching about 3:04 PM, froze at 3:23 PM. Had to use the home button to get off the froze screen.

This should give support something to look at. Let me know what they find. Without feedback, I don't intend to use SD to watch programs that are still recording until this is fixed.

Gary

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:07 am

Nateb, please let me know you have read the above post and submitted to support. Greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:17 pm

Will forward.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:30 pm

The logs show that there was some data loss occurring between the HDHomeRun and the DVR at the time that occurred, and presumably also some between the DVR and the client since it happened at the same time. This would typically point to either a network issue on the DVR PC, or possibly something running on the PC at that time that prevented it from handling the data in a timely fashion. How is the DVR PC connected network-wise? Is there any software running on the computer that might be causing a load spike at those times? Can you bring up task manager and reproduce the issue again and see if the CPU spikes? You may also want to check the system event log (right click on Computer, select Event Viewer, then expand Windows Logs and click on System) and scroll back to 3pm on Sunday and see if there are any errors or warnings logged.

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:08 am

Will research. What about the Fire TV test, what happened there?

Gary

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”