Stage 2?

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Stage 2?

Postby nateb » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:28 pm

Any update on time frame for stage 2 and HEVC support? I assume this is proceeding independent of the 8 channels missing.
Not really. With the holidays sort of absorbing a lot of next week, probably not much will be happening between now and new years.

EricGRIT09

Postby EricGRIT09 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:46 am

Been a few weeks since I've seen any posts here - happen to have any updates on this front?

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:33 am

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

dialitup

Postby dialitup » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:50 am

An update on this would be great. The current quality of the video streams just aren't quite good enough. I usually have a big group at my place for March Madness. I will feel less than happy to show the content in it's current state.

mikesalz

Postby mikesalz » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:18 pm

An update on this would be great. The current quality of the video streams just aren't quite good enough. I usually have a big group at my place for March Madness. I will feel less than happy to show the content in it's current state.
Let's not sugar coat it. :) . The current quality is really bad. An update would be nice!

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:16 am

There's a post here somewhere from SD that says they've done everything on their end to be ready for 2.0 and they're just waiting on the upstream provider to install new hardware/software. I believe them. So it's just like the offline channels; it's in limbo waiting on Omniverse.

I truly believe SD has good intentions with this, but I have very little confidence in Omniverse. I'm not holding my breath for 2.0 anytime soon. Sub-par PQ is the reason I dropped HDP, just prior to the missing channels fiasco.

boarder2

Postby boarder2 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:28 am

Any update on this at all? Currently in my 2 week trial and the picture quality is just... bad.

Recorded some ESPN X Games stuff last night and playing it back in the Win 10 app, there is high compression and the playback is very jerky. Looks like it's recorded 720p30fps.

ABC coverage recorded via the OTA tuner is 720p60fps and looks significantly better.

Watching live side by side with ESPN from Hulu Live TV, the Premium content is slightly noticeably more compressed but the more important part is the jerkiness of Premium. It seems like it must be taking 60fps and converting it to 30fps and not just dropping every other frame, but something worse than that.

Really want to use this service because it offers the content we want, using the application we want to use, and gives us complete control over commercials. But... if the quality is this bad it's just not going to happen. We'll have to go elsewhere until the quality issues are solved.

Edit: Alright, seems like maybe the stuttering problem is limited to one PC I tried to play on. Fire TV, Xbox One, and another PC don't have that problem. The compression is definitely noticeably worse, though.

Additionally, the Windows/Xbox app seem to have issues when skipping forward and back through Premium content where it will just stop playing and you have to go back to the record list and start playing again. Fire TV doesn't seem to have this problem.

EricGRIT09

Postby EricGRIT09 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:58 pm

Checking in and showing interest in this - any updates on this front?

dialitup

Postby dialitup » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:09 pm

An update on this would be really nice.

dinki

Postby dinki » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:39 pm

Looks like we've been abandoned. I partially understand about not discussing the upstream contract dispute but someone could certainly talk about stage 2. And what happened to the new channels that were coming in 30 days back in December?

This rat is jumping off the sinking ship. My subscription expires next week. Sad as I was a day one subscriber.

Sammy2

Postby Sammy2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:34 am

Looks like we've been abandoned. I partially understand about not discussing the upstream contract dispute but someone could certainly talk about stage 2. And what happened to the new channels that were coming in 30 days back in December?

This rat is jumping off the sinking ship. My subscription expires next week. Sad as I was a day one subscriber.
True.. Seems that Nate was brought on to increase customer communication but I haven't seen him post in weeks. I've seen some random posts from Nick but nothing to do with this or the missing channels.

pixelstuff

Postby pixelstuff » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:06 am

True.. Seems that Nate was brought on to increase customer communication but I haven't seen him post in weeks. I've seen some random posts from Nick but nothing to do with this or the missing channels.
Maybe it's like a previous job I had where they brought me on to do something specific, then they saw me sitting around "thinking" about ways to improve things and decided to give me busy work to help everyone else out. After a couple years of that I barely had time to do the original job.

avryn42

Postby avryn42 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Especially interesting that we now have a reply on an unrelated thread from Nickk from today... so they're around, and apparently actively avoiding answering the stage2 / missing channel topics?

pantherman007

Postby pantherman007 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:12 pm

[/quote]

Especially interesting that we now have a reply on an unrelated thread from Nickk from today... so they're around, and apparently actively avoiding answering the stage2 / missing channel topics?
[/quote]

It sure seems that way. I could theoretically see there being a gag order in place depending on how ugly the contract dispute is. But the crickets chirping on Stage 2 and the teased additional channels topics is all on SD. They also appear to be ignoring emails to support@silicondust.com. I love how easy the PTV/HDHR DVR combo makes it to build up local collections, but I'm starting to research other options. Very sad.

avryn42

Postby avryn42 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:36 pm

It sure seems that way. I could theoretically see there being a gag order in place depending on how ugly the contract dispute is. But the crickets chirping on Stage 2 and the teased additional channels topics is all on SD. They also appear to be ignoring emails to support@silicondust.com. I love how easy the PTV/HDHR DVR combo makes it to build up local collections, but I'm starting to research other options. Very sad.
Almost exactly the same boat here. Love how nice it makes things to record and keep... but this is just getting sad.

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”