6 tuner prime soon !!!

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
rrussis82

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by rrussis82 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:34 am

I'm thinking you may want to put the notice from the Prime 6 product page into the Prime 6 Status thread. People subscribe to that threat that do not always go to the Prime 6 product page or read these forums much

SNeal5966

Post by SNeal5966 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:55 pm

Well.....at this point I am not sure how much longer I can wait for this....Media Center is still working just fine with my PCI Express 6 Tuner card from the dead competitor......the only other option is to jump to the other company that gets their name removed lol Starts with T LOL It's not a substitute for media center but pretty much does everything I need with a Mini. I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon as they just launched a new model......I am very reluctant to go to them for a solution but I feel this is just never going to happen sadly....I am not feeling very confident :(

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:13 am

SNeal5966 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:55 pm
Well.....at this point I am not sure how much longer I can wait for this....Media Center is still working just fine with my PCI Express 6 Tuner card from the dead competitor......the only other option is to jump to the other company that gets their name removed lol Starts with T LOL It's not a substitute for media center but pretty much does everything I need with a Mini. I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon as they just launched a new model......I am very reluctant to go to them for a solution but I feel this is just never going to happen sadly....I am not feeling very confident :(
You can't just buy a Mini. A Mini works in conjunction with an actual T. The Mini doesn't have a tuner and borrows a tuner from the actual T.

scyto

Post by scyto » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:19 am

speedingcheetah wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:21 am
NedS wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:19 am
speedingcheetah wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:11 pm

that forum is from 2017....lot can change in 2yrs.
Nothing has changed regarding CableCARD requirements in those two years.
dont change the fact that the comcasts stores here do not give out any more cable card and can not add any more to account.
I got a card from a local store just a month ago and had it added so your broad statement is patently wrong.

SNeal5966

Post by SNeal5966 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:47 am

SpencerC wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:13 am
SNeal5966 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:55 pm
You can't just buy a Mini. A Mini works in conjunction with an actual T. The Mini doesn't have a tuner and borrows a tuner from the actual T.
I know that, what I was trying to say is a Roamio and 1 mini would solve my problem from Ebay with a lifetime subscription for a few hundred.....then I learned of EPG123 so now I am good indefinitely on media center. The reason I am married to Media Center is b/c I have the Ceton 6 tuner PCIe card which will basically only work with Media Center...Keeping that alive for now....

The T company is not an option...despite their launch of a new platform I don't think they are lasting and Media Center can be kept alive whereas if T dies so does their boxes eventually but keeping it alive on your own with Schedules Direct probably won't work....

I may move to Antenna only once my contract is up with Verizon FiOs anyway, and just have an internet only package....which I would still want HDHomerun products for, but then at this point I would wait for ATSC 3.0 options....

VistaVick

Post by VistaVick » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:01 pm

I just feel it needs to be said again that to leave cable card customers without any viable option other than to pay inflated prices for the used 3 tuner unit that is no longer in production is a real slap in the face. With no firm date on when any comparable product will be available. This is what aggravates me more than the delays on the 6 tuner model.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:10 pm

Apparently this needs to be said again: the CPU used in the original PRIME was discontinued and we literally bought every available one and built devices with them. It was physically impossible for us to build any more than we did.

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:28 pm

jasonl wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:10 pm
Apparently this needs to be said again: the CPU used in the original PRIME was discontinued and we literally bought every available one and built devices with them. It was physically impossible for us to build any more than we did.
So...u couldn't just use a newer cpu and call it a Rev. 2.
Most routers and embedded things often do this.
May need a different Firmware branch though...

VistaVick

Post by VistaVick » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:41 pm

Understandable, but I find it hard to believe another 3 tuner unit could not have been designed with available parts on the market, whether or not it had recording DRM support. I am not sure what the price differences will be- but not everyone is going to need 6 tuners anyway when/if the new product is ready. Always good to have more than option. Thee bottom line is a company who once marketed themselves as having an ideal hardware solution for cable card users currently has 0 hardware products available for that segment of the market.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:22 pm

We designed a 4 tuner model to replace it, then after it was pretty much ready to start building, the company who made the CPU got bought by another company for their IP, and the CPU was discontinued. This kind of development is heavily tailored to the specific CPU because of all the security involved and needing to access model-specific features; it's not just general code that can be moved to a new CPU with minimal effort. So we started again on the 6 tuner model and here we are.

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:20 pm

jasonl wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:22 pm
We designed a 4 tuner model to replace it, then after it was pretty much ready to start building, the company who made the CPU got bought by another company for their IP, and the CPU was discontinued. This kind of development is heavily tailored to the specific CPU because of all the security involved and needing to access model-specific features; it's not just general code that can be moved to a new CPU with minimal effort. So we started again on the 6 tuner model and here we are.
Aww.. From scratch? I get that you don't want to let the cat out. But any idea what the time line looks like?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:33 pm

When It's Ready™

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Post by mcewinter » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:52 pm

Dare I ask if the current work on the UI has influence on the timeline of the Prime 6?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:49 pm

mcewinter wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:52 pm
Dare I ask if the current work on the UI has influence on the timeline of the Prime 6?
Not really. One uses react libraries and web development, the other is mostly engineering and cablecard stuff. Even things like DRM would be handled by a different developer who works on the playback code (and other core things).

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:49 pm

NedS wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:49 pm
mcewinter wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:52 pm
Not really. One uses react libraries and web development, the other is mostly engineering and cablecard stuff. Even things like DRM would be handled by a different developer who works on the playback code (and other core things).
Everything that has been done to the UI is cosmetic and bug fixes ... is there a plan to develop functionality ... like single channel recording without having to use a third party tool ? The DVR development has gone stale.