6 tuner prime soon !!!

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
Post Reply
ptmuldoon
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:10 pm
Device ID: 131A3913

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by ptmuldoon » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:32 pm

Hello,

First time poster, so go easy on the newbie please. :)

So I have been reading and searching best I can regarding HD HomeRun and see the Prime 3 is discontinued, and can only be found used on ebay, etc. And there is (I hope) a newer Prime 6 device coming out some time in the (near I hope) future.

Does anyone know any of the spec differences between the Prime 3 and Prime 6? As someone looking to possibly switch from a **** Bolt (with spectrum cablecard) to a HD HomeRun, I'm trying to learn about the differences.

Whats the main differences between the Prime 3 and Prime 6 besides I think getting 3 tuners vs 6?

Does the Prime 3 support 4K? Will the Prime 6 support 4K or possibly even 8K? What about connection, network speeds?

I also have a newer Samsung TV. With ****, this is connected via HDMI. There is no app for the Samsung TV, but I think in reading that the HD HomeRun will be auto discovered by the TV as input source? Or would I need to use an Nvidia Shield TV or other device?

I also need to ensure any change from **** to HD HomeRun passes the Wife factor. Can anyone provide input on easy of use in changing channels and recording with Prime 3? Can you use your normal TV remotes? Again, I think HD HomeRun will appear as a normal input on a Samsung TV, so just use your normal remote?

Finally, dare I ask :) Hopes of a Prime 6 release before end of 2019? Or should one plan to buy a used Prime 3? Just don't want to go buying a Prime 3 and then see a Prime 6 release a month later. Think it will be 2019? sometime 2020? Confirming it is still in development?

Thanks,
PT

speedingcheetah
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by speedingcheetah » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:09 pm

ptmuldoon wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:32 pm
Hello,

First time poster, so go easy on the newbie please. :)

So I have been reading and searching best I can regarding HD HomeRun and see the Prime 3 is discontinued, and can only be found used on ebay, etc. And there is (I hope) a newer Prime 6 device coming out some time in the (near I hope) future.

Does anyone know any of the spec differences between the Prime 3 and Prime 6? As someone looking to possibly switch from a **** Bolt (with spectrum cablecard) to a HD HomeRun, I'm trying to learn about the differences.

Whats the main differences between the Prime 3 and Prime 6 besides I think getting 3 tuners vs 6?

Does the Prime 3 support 4K? Will the Prime 6 support 4K or possibly even 8K? What about connection, network speeds?

I also have a newer Samsung TV. With ****, this is connected via HDMI. There is no app for the Samsung TV, but I think in reading that the HD HomeRun will be auto discovered by the TV as input source? Or would I need to use an Nvidia Shield TV or other device?

I also need to ensure any change from **** to HD HomeRun passes the Wife factor. Can anyone provide input on easy of use in changing channels and recording with Prime 3? Can you use your normal TV remotes? Again, I think HD HomeRun will appear as a normal input on a Samsung TV, so just use your normal remote?

Finally, dare I ask :) Hopes of a Prime 6 release before end of 2019? Or should one plan to buy a used Prime 3? Just don't want to go buying a Prime 3 and then see a Prime 6 release a month later. Think it will be 2019? sometime 2020? Confirming it is still in development?

Thanks,
PT
AS posted, there is no chance of the Prime 6 in 2019...there is NO official release date.
Could come out in 2020, 21, 22....or not at all. Don't know.

The Prime 6 would function same as the 3 and other SD hardware.
It is a network tuner....used to view TV on computer....not a HDMI device u connect to TV. (like a Rouk or Apple TV)
If u are not familiar with how SD tuners work, I suggest you do some more research.
There is HDHR app and other media server like apps and server software, Like PLex, Emby, Channels DVR, that can be used on steaming boxes to view the tuner on a TV.

ptmuldoon
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:10 pm
Device ID: 131A3913

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by ptmuldoon » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:37 pm

speedingcheetah wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:09 pm
It is a network tuner....used to view TV on computer....not a HDMI device u connect to TV. (like a Rouk or Apple TV)
If u are not familiar with how SD tuners work, I suggest you do some more research.
There is HDHR app and other media server like apps and server software, Like PLex, Emby, Channels DVR, that can be used on steaming boxes to view the tuner on a TV.
Thanks for the response, and yes I am no stranger to the tech, and am running a Proxmox here with multiple containers/VM's including Plex, Unraid (as a VM) , etc, and have an Nvidia Shield, Roku, Raspberry and few others all collecting dust somewhere in the house. And have most things Cat5 wired where possible.

I had just read that for a Samsung TV, supposedly that the HD HomeRun somehow shows up 'next to your hdmi' in the TV inputs when connected to your network. My TV is connected via Cat5 so trying to confirm if I add an HD homerun to the network, will it show up as a input? Or do I need a to use a 3rd party box or app to get it on to the TV.

And pretty sure I read up that the Xbox 1 has an app. So should be good there in another room in the home.

But since the only real difference between the 3 and 6 is just the # of tuners and nothing really else, I will probably try and pick up a Prime 3 and test it out. Besides the box, the cable card should only be a few bucks.

One maybe last question as it has been a while. I am pretty sure a **** cable card is paired to the box? Pretty sure I can't just swap out the card into an HD HomeRun to test out, but would need a second card from my TV (spectrum) provider?

speedingcheetah
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by speedingcheetah » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:10 pm

ptmuldoon wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:37 pm
speedingcheetah wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:09 pm
It is a network tuner....used to view TV on computer....not a HDMI device u connect to TV. (like a Rouk or Apple TV)
If u are not familiar with how SD tuners work, I suggest you do some more research.
There is HDHR app and other media server like apps and server software, Like PLex, Emby, Channels DVR, that can be used on steaming boxes to view the tuner on a TV.

One maybe last question as it has been a while. I am pretty sure a **** cable card is paired to the box? Pretty sure I can't just swap out the card into an HD HomeRun to test out, but would need a second card from my TV (spectrum) provider?
Cable cards are tied to each device, there is a code u have to contact ur cable provider with to pair it to that new device....last I set one up.
If u try to put card in different deice, it go unauthorized.
How much it cost for cable card rental varries depending on your provider.
For me, Comcast/Xfinity, it is $10 a month...however, they no longer offer them in my area and are in the process of discontinuing use of them on their service...as they now offer their own "stream box" free with their service....told was told by phone rep.

marks
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:52 am

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by marks » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:40 pm

I believe cable companies are required to offer cable cards to customers unless it is a small company and applies for a waiver from the FCC:
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community ... ds.552443/

speedingcheetah
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by speedingcheetah » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:11 pm

marks wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:40 pm
I believe cable companies are required to offer cable cards to customers unless it is a small company and applies for a waiver from the FCC:
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community ... ds.552443/
that forum is from 2017....lot can change in 2yrs.

NedS
Silicondust
Posts: 542
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by NedS » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:19 am

speedingcheetah wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:11 pm
marks wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:40 pm
I believe cable companies are required to offer cable cards to customers unless it is a small company and applies for a waiver from the FCC:
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community ... ds.552443/
that forum is from 2017....lot can change in 2yrs.
Nothing has changed regarding CableCARD requirements in those two years.

speedingcheetah
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by speedingcheetah » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:21 am

NedS wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:19 am
speedingcheetah wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:11 pm
marks wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:40 pm
I believe cable companies are required to offer cable cards to customers unless it is a small company and applies for a waiver from the FCC:
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community ... ds.552443/
that forum is from 2017....lot can change in 2yrs.
Nothing has changed regarding CableCARD requirements in those two years.
dont change the fact that the comcasts stores here do not give out any more cable card and can not add any more to account.

StraightThruTheHeart
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:37 pm

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:49 am

speedingcheetah wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:21 am
dont change the fact that the comcasts stores here do not give out any more cable card and can not add any more to account.
Then contact the FCC and file a complaint.

speedingcheetah
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:06 pm

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by speedingcheetah » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:53 am

StraightThruTheHeart wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:49 am
speedingcheetah wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:21 am
dont change the fact that the comcasts stores here do not give out any more cable card and can not add any more to account.
Then contact the FCC and file a complaint.
What makes u think they care or woudl do anything?
I tried that route when they raised the price of the CC rental and removed the "customer owned equipment" discount from my bill, over 2 years ago now.
Saw nothing from it.

Online
GetMatt
Posts: 1842
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:45 pm
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by GetMatt » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:29 am

speedingcheetah wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:53 am
StraightThruTheHeart wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:49 am
speedingcheetah wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:21 am
dont change the fact that the comcasts stores here do not give out any more cable card and can not add any more to account.
Then contact the FCC and file a complaint.
What makes u think they care or woudl do anything?
I tried that route when they raised the price of the CC rental and removed the "customer owned equipment" discount from my bill, over 2 years ago now.
Saw nothing from it.
I have run into this before with Comcast. It usually because the person you are talking to doesn’t j IW anything about and they just say they don’t do CableCARD. You just need to talk to technical support instead of customer service. You could also ask to talk to engineering who can help you too.

There used to be a CableCARD support line.

Edit:
Found it, scroll to the bottom for the CableCARD support line.
https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... cablecards

replayreb
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:14 am

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by replayreb » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:24 am

Yes, it is usually someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. I know because it took me 4 days to get it activated but it was worth the trouble since I'm paying only $2.50/month for one cablecard and can watch HD cable on all 5 of my TV's versus the $55/month it would cost me renting 5 HD cable boxes. I did buy 5 Nvidia Shields and use the Live Channels app with the traditional channel grid so the experience is just like a cable box, which I prefer. I would have bought the Shields anyway because I also use all the usual streaming apps and also watch movies on Kodi from a network drive. I bought the Shields Cyber Monday of last year for $139.99 each so that's 5 x 139.99 = $699.95 plus the cost of the Prime 3 used on eBay $120 so the total is $819.95 divided by the $52.50/month in savings not having to rent cable boxes so $819.95 divided by $52.50 = 15.6 so that means it's going to take me 16 months for everything to have paid for itself and then after that it's all savings. Too much information I know but I just figured all that out while typing for my own benefit mostly lol.

replayreb
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:14 am

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by replayreb » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:32 am

I should also add I actually started investigating the Prime 3 not because of cost but because of the wife factor. I wanted everything accessible for her from one interface and easy to use and the Nvidia Shield fit the bill in that it could provide Live Channels from the Prime 3, Netflix, Amazon, ESPN, Kodi, Youtube, Hulu, you name it. One device. One wire.

bjsc1100
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:37 am

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by bjsc1100 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:08 am

speedingcheetah wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:53 am
StraightThruTheHeart wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:49 am
speedingcheetah wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:21 am
dont change the fact that the comcasts stores here do not give out any more cable card and can not add any more to account.
Then contact the FCC and file a complaint.
What makes u think they care or woudl do anything?
I tried that route when they raised the price of the CC rental and removed the "customer owned equipment" discount from my bill, over 2 years ago now.
Saw nothing from it.
comcast still has a support page specific to cable cards as indicated by getmatt.
i would agree with others who suggest that you got a rep that's clueless about cablecards. you need to find one that's familiar with them.

zimberto
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Re: 6 tuner prime soon !!!

Post by zimberto » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:50 pm

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

Post Reply