Plex Stutters/Desync Premium TV - Issue started 9/01

Support for and discussion of the HDHomeRun Premium TV service
nateb
Silicondust

Re: Plex Stutters/Desync Premium TV - Issue started 9/01

Postby nateb » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:34 am

I don't know if any more changes were made to the streams last night after I stopped testing them, but this morning it seems like the audio is playing very well. I'm not getting any stutter there, however, the video still stutters and the av sync is lost almost immediately.
Could just be a weird cache thing. I noticed an actual improvement when I rebooted my Plex server. Though it's sometimes hard to say with this kind of testing whether that was just placebo.

ou05020

Postby ou05020 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:58 am

@nickk The straight copy transcode addressed the A/V issues. However, there was frequent buffering and one playback buffering failed to recover.

Here are the copy settings:
Input stream url:
'http://x.x.x.x:5004/auto/v1102?transcode=none'.

Options:
"-hide_banner -y",
"-c copy"

Output stream format:
'mpegts'

I ran the following tests for comparison:

Plex/tuner:
Buffering at startup, same stuttering and A/V issues.

Plex/proxy/tuner with copy:
Buffering at startup, intermittent buffering, interlace artifacts on a few channels, no stuttering or A/V issues. One playback did not recover from buffering.

Plex/proxy/tuner with previous settings:
No buffering, stuttering or A/V issues.

robmich

Postby robmich » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:13 am

Hope this helps. PTV works just fine on all channels while using EMBY Theater on Windows, either locally or remotely. No, breaking up, everything in sync. I think it uses the MPV player... PTV FAILS when accessing EMBY via a browser, all channels are black with audio only.

PTV and PLEX fails inside a browser (as previously noted) BUT RUNS FINE inside the PLEX Media Player.

Rob

Cayars

Postby Cayars » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:24 pm

That's pretty much what is known. When the stream can direct play it works. When it needs to get transcoded in either environment it has issues.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:25 pm

PTV and PLEX fails inside a browser (as previously noted) BUT RUNS FINE inside the PLEX Media Player.

Rob
Wait. I have a question about this part. How are you playing any HDHomeRun stuff inside Plex Media Player? When I open PMP, it doesn't list TV Guide stuff.

robmich

Postby robmich » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:39 pm

Easy, I setup the Plex DVR and selected antenna. I then scanned my Quatro and it found the OTA and PTV channels. I then use EPG123 to create an XML file, select XML in the DVR setup, point to the file, it imports everything and all channels show up in the Plex grid guide.

Rob

Noah0504

Postby Noah0504 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:00 pm

That's pretty much what is known. When the stream can direct play it works. When it needs to get transcoded in either environment it has issues.
Direct Playing on Android still seems to have issues for me. Well, it did. Haven't tested that recently.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Easy, I setup the Plex DVR and selected antenna. I then scanned my Quatro and it found the OTA and PTV channels. I then use EPG123 to create an XML file, select XML in the DVR setup, point to the file, it imports everything and all channels show up in the Plex grid guide.

Rob
I misspoke. I know how to add the channels to plex. I just meant I didn't realize you could see the grid in PMP. Turns out I wasn't using PMP. I was using whatever app plex provides in the Windows store. No idea what that is.

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:12 pm

I was using whatever app plex provides in the Windows store. No idea what that is.
That is the source of much pain and suffering by those who can't get it updated... apparently there are major flaws, and, of course, Plex has ignored it for years.

If you can stand it, PMP is the way to go. Once, you could control it with your phone, but they've pretty much designed that possibility out of the Mobile app (both are similar in their awfulness), so you're on your own.

tpm

Postby tpm » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Rob
I misspoke. I know how to add the channels to plex. I just meant I didn't realize you could see the grid in PMP. Turns out I wasn't using PMP. I was using whatever app plex provides in the Windows store. No idea what that is.
PMP is the only way to go now on a PC. It can direct play nearly everything.

dinki

Postby dinki » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:43 am

@nateb @nickk Are you guys working on this this weekend?

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:13 pm

@nateb @nickk Are you guys working on this this weekend?
To some extent we already have been. We replicated that QuickTime Player error, which could be another useful point for solving the plex issue, and were able to play files in QuickTime from the original source that didn't cause the error. Other duties may make it tricky to do a lot of code work this weekend though.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:33 am

We think we have this solved - Plex is playing streams correctly from our staging servers.

The update is scheduled to go live in the early morning overnight.

Nick

dinki

Postby dinki » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:37 am

We think we have this solved - Plex is playing streams correctly from our staging servers.

Nick
Great news! Can't wait to try it. Thanks to all for their work on this problem.

tpm

Postby tpm » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:26 pm

Thanks for all your hard work (on the weekend no less!).

Return to “HDHomeRun Premium TV”