System events when recording starts and finishes / overall configurability

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
KenMa

System events when recording starts and finishes / overall configurability

Postby KenMa » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi, I just got the DVR up and running with Kodi, and I have a couple questions. I have a pretty elaborate setup and have recordings being moved / converted / renamed all the time and previously with WMC and some software I wrote. I used the WMC event to know when a recording has stopped to start the processing. I have PCs with both Windows 7 and Windows 10 in the house, and I'm recording from a Windows 10 box. Everything is working as expected, but...

1) I've looked at log files (SD logs in the recording directory, Kodi logs) and event viewer and basically I can't know for sure when a recording has completed. The SD DVR is constantly writing to the file with no exclusivity (I can access the file as it's recording) that will be the actual filename when the recording is complete as opposed to a temporary filename. So it just writes periodically as it's recording. The SD logs do not include the full path, nor do they say when a recording is completed, so there's no way to extrapolate from them either. I could do something sketchy like look at the file write date/time and see if it's over 10 minutes old, or something to that effect, but I'd rather not. Is there a way that I'm missing?

2) The files SD saves are really large. Are there any tweaks I can make to some config file / registry to crank down the quality of these? I am currently using MCEBuddy to get them down, but if I can avoid a step, that would be great.

NYPlayer

Re: System events when recording starts and finishes / overall configurability

Postby NYPlayer » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:52 pm

MCEbuddy can be scheduled to run x amount of time after a file completes. I use it all the time to sort my files by folder Name (year) and season.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:50 pm

The DVR does log a recording being completed:
20180811-18:45:00 Recording: stop Premier League Soccer - Wolverhampton Wanderers FC vs. Everton FC 20180811 [20180811-1630] (result = 0x0000)

If you're using a CONNECT, PRIME, or EXPAND, the video is passed untouched from the broadcaster. EXTEND lets you transcode the video to H.264 format, which will result in smaller files.

KenMa

Postby KenMa » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:03 am

The DVR does log a recording being completed:
20180811-18:45:00 Recording: stop Premier League Soccer - Wolverhampton Wanderers FC vs. Everton FC 20180811 [20180811-1630] (result = 0x0000)

If you're using a CONNECT, PRIME, or EXPAND, the video is passed untouched from the broadcaster. EXTEND lets you transcode the video to H.264 format, which will result in smaller files.
Thanks Jason, missed the log entry.

Understood on the transcoding piece.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”