Seamless Viewing Instructions

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
pegasus9

Seamless Viewing Instructions

Postby pegasus9 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:52 am

I have an HDHomerun Extend and I'm a subscriber but can find no way to trigger the Seamless Viewing option. I pause on one device, go to another and select the same channel -- nothing.

Are there instructions somewhere?

Mediaman
Expert

Re: Seamless Viewing Instructions

Postby Mediaman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:09 pm

I have an HDHomerun Extend and I'm a subscriber but can find no way to trigger the Seamless Viewing option. I pause on one device, go to another and select the same channel -- nothing.

Are there instructions somewhere?
Recordings can be stopped and transferred to another device, live streaming cannot. But live tv does only use one tuner so multiple devices can watch and control the stream independently [pause, rewind, skip] but not draw information from another device. Downloads and Instructions area in SD Software section has a guide to W10 Client use [basically all platforms work the same] will add this caveat to make info more clear soon. Not sure where you got the idea of what your looking for...

pegasus9

Postby pegasus9 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:47 pm

I want to be able to pause what I'm watching in my living room, and then walk to my bedroom and pick up exactly where I left off.

Now I know I can hit the record button, turn off the living room TV, go to the bedroom and then start the recording and it will begin exactly where I left off. But that seems a little convoluted for something that is billed as being seamless.

That's why I said, I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if I'm just not understanding what I'm supposed to be getting.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:26 pm

Yeah I understand it is something I wished was the way you envisioned. At one point it was hoped that we could retroactively hit record and have whatever had been played for say an hour would be in the record file also. That may still be possible? But the two items may be in conflict... the DRM record issue may create issues with that idea? Some pretty complex programming issues.

There is a new UI in the works and it's release may spell out more of the future developments for the system. We may get a more direct record button? Overall there will be an ongoing development process as the program spreads around the world. With the DRM project nearing the end point the programming focus will move on to features and more apps for specific TV's smart systems and appleTV.

pegasus9

Postby pegasus9 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:05 pm

DTV allowed you to pause for up to 2 hours and then you could go through it all is if it was recorded -- then as soon as you changed channels is self-destructed. Also if it was playing you could just back up an hour so -- Very handy.

I was unaware they were going to try to address the DRM issue -- thought it was a lost cause based on the hoops the powers that be were requiring to allow it to happen.

From what I understand the client is where the issue is the DRM, I hope that is true in the last two weeks, I invested in two boxes to get things the way I want them for me -- would hate to lose that investment.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”