Best cheap android tv box for drm?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Neptunetides1983

Re: Best cheap android tv box for drm?

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:07 pm

In setting the goal of supporting DRM, publicly announcing it, and finally achieving it, is a remarkable feat by SD. I only wish all companies had not only the vision, but the ability to setup a roadmap and follow it through.

It wasn't that big of a surprise to me, that not every device could be supported. I won't be surprised with even more limitations necessary to implement DVR support of DRM restricted content. In the current state of the industry, things get more secure, not less secure.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:08 pm

In setting the goal of supporting DRM, publicly announcing it, and finally achieving it, is a remarkable feat by SD. I only wish all companies had not only the vision, but the ability to setup a roadmap and follow it through.

It wasn't that big of a surprise to me, that not every device could be supported. I won't be surprised with even more limitations necessary to implement DVR support of DRM restricted content. In the current state of the industry, things get more secure, not less secure.
+1 .. I give SD all the credit in the world for giving me the option to watch DRM throughout my household without the need to rent Cable Boxes. You just can't beat the fact that you can turn most Windows PC's, Android TV boxes and Certified Tablets to act as a cable box or portable Cableready TV's …. :D :D :D :D
Last edited by NYPlayer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:18 pm

I hate to say it, but IMHO (and with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight), it was a mistake for SD to pursue DRM support. I think the strict requirements, coupled with not having control over the HW platforms, limited ROI from the support (both for SD and the HW platforms...again, my opinion), is just a continued drain on their resources.

Given the cord-cutting trends, I think a better strategy would have been to develop easy to implement APIs for their OTA products, then market that to the various ITV providers, like DirecTV NOW, Slintg TV, etc. Think of having integrated OTA support in those ITV apps, which to me is the big missing piece for cord-cutters right now.
I would disagree. This is a slow moving industry and most of the online services IMHO are anemic. I doubt that YouTube, DirectTV, Sling etc have any interest in working with SD in to integrate their OTA tuners into their services. I'm personally glad that they have persued DRM and regularly use Xbox, iOS and Android to watch DRM channels. I am excited for their implementation of DRM into the DVR to become available.

GGRussell

Postby GGRussell » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:06 pm

I hate to say it, but IMHO (and with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight), it was a mistake for SD to pursue DRM support.
Given the cord-cutting trends,
A TRUE cord cutter isn't worried about DRM as they usually dump cable for OTA. I think it would be interesting to know what percentage of Silicon Dust hardware sales is Prime CC vs. the other tuners. I don't even know anyone that streams premium channels like HBO Go.

ZacMan

Postby ZacMan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:06 pm

+1 .. I give SD all the credit in the world for giving me the option to watch DRM throughout my household without the need to rent Cable Boxes. You just can't beat the fact that you can turn most Windows PC's, Android TV boxes and Certified Tablets to act as a cable box or portable Cableready TV's …. :D :D :D :D
It's a fantastic development to finally have DRM on all platforms especially Android. I finally purchased my 2nd shield for the bedroom and now getting ready to purchase my NAS and shutdown my WMC machine just as soon as I can record DRM. Then I can get away from running a Windows machine 24/7.

Looking forward to the new UI and would love a less expensive device for other locations in the house.

Deihmos

Postby Deihmos » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:29 pm

I wonder why there aren’t more android tv devices? I wish hdhr had an app for the Samsung Tv so I wouldn’t need these boxes. I got the TV when I read about it working with Samsung but that never worked.
Last edited by Deihmos on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deihmos

Postby Deihmos » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:33 pm

I hate to say it, but IMHO (and with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight), it was a mistake for SD to pursue DRM support.
A TRUE cord cutter isn't worried about DRM as they usually dump cable for OTA. I think it would be interesting to know what percentage of Silicon Dust hardware sales is Prime CC vs. the other tuners. I don't even know anyone that streams premium channels like HBO Go.
I never found OTA to be useful. The programming is very lame until the sports finals but other than that I find OTA to be useless. The thing is cable companies structure the deals to make it worth bundling with cable tv. I never pay full price.

GGRussell

Postby GGRussell » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:05 am

I never pay full price.
You obviously don't have Charter.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:41 am

I never pay full price.
You obviously don't have Charter.
Even with Charter, there are (smallish) bundle discounts, and while they may apply them to the Internet or Phone service line items (rather than to the TV service line), it is the total that matters. The days of huge ongoing bundle discounts, or matching new customer promos at renewals(*), is going, going, or gone, from all the major cable companies. There are sometimes ways to leverage the current system to get additional discounts for a period, but eventually one hits the end of those.

(*) L-TWC was especially notorious for offering even ongoing customers new customer pricing during the period when L-TWC was pumping their subscriber numbers to get to a sale. The expiration of those discounts (everything eventually expired), and the lack of the ability to get them repeated under Charter, has caused great upset for many L-TWC customers used to paying far less than the regular rates.

GGRussell

Postby GGRussell » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:45 am

Even with Charter, there are (smallish) bundle discounts,
I don't equate bundle 'discount' to 'I never pay full price.' Charter used to have limited 2yr contracts with additional discounts for anyone willing to haggle with customer service. That stopped with the new CEO who was well known for this.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:35 am

Even with Charter, there are (smallish) bundle discounts,
I don't equate bundle 'discount' to 'I never pay full price.'
The quote was:
The thing is cable companies structure the deals to make it worth bundling with cable tv. I never pay full price.
That (to me) says that the deal was the bundle. Until/unless Deihmos replies, I suppose either of us could have interpreted the statement in ways it was not meant.

Diverge

Postby Diverge » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:34 am

I hate to say it, but IMHO (and with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight), it was a mistake for SD to pursue DRM support. I think the strict requirements, coupled with not having control over the HW platforms, limited ROI from the support (both for SD and the HW platforms...again, my opinion), is just a continued drain on their resources.

Given the cord-cutting trends, I think a better strategy would have been to develop easy to implement APIs for their OTA products, then market that to the various ITV providers, like DirecTV NOW, Slintg TV, etc. Think of having integrated OTA support in those ITV apps, which to me is the big missing piece for cord-cutters right now.
I disagree as well. There's plenty of non-drm alternatives to choose from. DRM (copy-once) is the only thing that differentiates SD from other options.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:00 pm

DRM (copy-once) is the only thing that differentiates SD from other options.
That was mentioned by many back at the beginning (remember 3 years ago? possibly not, as forum posts expire after 90 days) as being one of the compelling reasons for the project to exist as there were (even then) many other options available for unprotected content (although arguably some of those had a high cost to setup and maintain). In three years, a lot has changed, and the OTT alternatives that sprung up (faster than many (or at least I) expected), and the IPTV migrations, have certainly shifted the potential market. But hindsight being 20/20 does not change the decisions made 3 years ago, and there will be for some time a market for cable protected content (and depending on how things work out, possibly protected ATSC 3.0 content) that few other solutions support today, and fewer in the future (WMC is not quite dead yet, but people have started selecting the flowers for the wake).

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:35 pm

I never found OTA to be useful. The programming is very lame until the sports finals but other than that I find OTA to be useless. The thing is cable companies structure the deals to make it worth bundling with cable tv. I never pay full price.
There are quite a few households who no longer have a traditional cable subscription, and use a streaming service like SlingTV, YouTube TV, etc. for the majority of their media consumption. These services only offer the most basic local channels, and HDHomerun Connect and a good antenna fills that gap very well. On a cost/value level, HDHomerun devices, both Connect & Prime, pay for themselves very quickly, and continue to provide added value afterwards.

My SlingTV Blue Package with cloud DVR is $30 a month, but only carries NBC, and Fox locals. The HDHomerun app, (with Connect and an antenna), add 67 additional free channels, of which we have 15 favorited. Comet TV, COZI, METV, several PBS channels, and the major networks. We decided to subscribe to the HR DVR service ($35), which averages to $3 a month, making our monthly budget for 120 Mbps Internet, SlingTV and HR DVR $100.00 which is less than half of what our Comcast Triple Play service was for the last year of our service, ($235.00).

Whether your household is an OTA only, OTA & Streaming service, or Cable Service, using HDHomerun devices will save you money, and as I get older, I lean more towards that, than having the latest gadgets out on the market.

The Nvidia Shield TV is still the best media consumption device available since it was released in 2015. The Xiaomi devices are increasing in cost, and the very few newer Google Certified Android TV devices on the market don't have the features either of those two devices have, and are nearly the same price as the Shield TV.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:20 pm

Here is a Mecool Cetified Android TV box that claims 4K@60FPS.

https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_0093 ... d=15044891

Edit another fake not official... Best to just buy a Shield ….

Review here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiIEgQKjuBQ&t=133s

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”