No channels (programs) detected on my new Prime

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
beans1369

No channels (programs) detected on my new Prime

Postby beans1369 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:00 pm

I followed set up to the letter and have tried running channel detection now several times and it won't pick up a single channel. Everything looks good on my end with the cable card activated and everything where it should be but for some reason the device isn't able to detect a single channel from the cable card? The Prime box that I ordered did come from Amazon and was not plastic wrapped leading me to believe that this might be a previously used or not new item that was shipped out in less than a day. Anyone have any ideas? I was really excited to see this work the way it's supposed to but I might have a lemon on my hands! Very frustrating to say the least!

DL96728

Re: No channels (programs) detected on my new Prime

Postby DL96728 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Can you point a browser at the IP address of the HDHR and copy and paste the "CableCard" status items (CableCARD Menu -- IP address/cc.html) into a reply? That will tell us a lot about what's going on. It took me two weeks to get mine working correctly only to find Spectrum had copy protected most of the channels. In the hours I spent on the phone with them I learned a lot about what could go wrong!

...Doug

beans1369

Postby beans1369 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:36 pm

Doug - here's the info from the CableCard Status page

CableCARD Status
Card Manufacturer Motorola
Card Authentication success
Card Validation success
3DES encryption supported
OOB Frequency 75.250 MHz
OOB Lock 2.048 Mbps
Signal Strength 92% (-4.9 dBmV)
Signal Quality 100% (39.1 dB)
Channel List cablecard-oob

I am a new Spectrum customer (Madison, WI) and just picked the CableCard up this evening. When I called to activate the card the rep waited until the channel scan was complete (which took a long time only to find 0 channels!). He said everything looked good on their end with the card. No mention of copy protected channels by him or on their website. Still wouldn't my channel listings at least show up but indicate that they are protected? I'm getting nothing after the scans that I've run. No error messages or anything, just the detect channels button all over again. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated! I'm wondering if I got a faulty Prime box or if I just missed something I have no idea about.

beans1369

Postby beans1369 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:38 pm

I also submitted a Support Ticket to SilconDust but haven't heard anything back on that as of yet.

DL96728

Postby DL96728 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:41 pm

I agree everything looks fine on the CableCard status. You've got decent signal quality too. I wonder if they left a trap in the line to your house that's blocking out the channels you are supposed to get but leaving the control signal through? Are you getting channels on a cable company provided box? I think the SiliconDust folks know a way to do a scan that might provide more info on what's hitting the box.

Have you tried using the standalone hdhomerun_config program? It would be in a SiliconDust/HDHomerun folder in your Windows program directory or likely in /usr/bin if using Linux. If in Windows you may be able to double click on it to run it or you might have to enter it from a cmd prompt. If you don't see it, download the program from https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/. I had it working in Windows 10 along with the app from the Microsoft store.

That program allows entry of a specific cable channel and also the ability to step through a channel one at a time while displaying the signal quality. I'm in Linux now so don't have the Windows version handy but there should be a "tuner" tab where you can enter the cable channel number and scan up or down for programs. I would try some VHF cable channels (2 - 13) if on an all digital system and see what you get with that program. If nothing shows up in signal strength, quality or symbol quality there is a problem somewhere in the connection or the tuner itself.

...Doug

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:15 am

HD devices are one way they [spectrum] can not see anything let alone the CC. They only have a report that they sent the signal.

Open http://my.hdhomerun.com/ on something other than Edge. click on the channel number line and click on Detect Channels. You may want to open HDHR setup and on the advance tab enable send diagnostics to SD. Do not run the channel scan from setup program. If you still do not get anything go back to opening page and click on the tuner ID line then CableCARD Menu. Then click on Network Setup. Here look For VCT - does that report a number greater than zero? If not spectrum has not applied the proper VCTID or if that is zero the card has sat on the shelf for more than 30 days and lost the proper setting for your area.

beans1369

Postby beans1369 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:59 am

Thanks for the replies guys! I am on a MacMini which is my main computer and using Chrome browser if that makes any difference? On a whim I just opened up my Opera browser and hit detect channels and what do you know it's finding ALL of my channels!!!! Must have been an issue with Chrome!

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”