WINDOWS10 April update - HDCP required to play protected content msg

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
mediaguy

WINDOWS10 April update - HDCP required to play protected content msg

Postby mediaguy » Fri May 18, 2018 7:43 am

My Windows 10 laptop (HP Envy) I now find will not play DRM channels of which there are quite a few on Optimum.

It was working fine, but today when I went to play channel 724 (DRM) I get the message "Unable to play channel - HDCP required to display protected content"

There are no other displays attached to the laptop and it was working a couple weeks ago when I last tried HDHomerun on it.

I should say that my suspect in this issue is the latest Windows 10 April update as it had caused a number of other issues that I was able to get corrected since it arrived forcing its way into my lap top.

Any and all suggestions for getting my DRM channels working again would be appreciated.

JoeHanson

Re: WINDOWS10 April update - HDCP required to play protected content msg

Postby JoeHanson » Fri May 18, 2018 7:53 am

Can't you roll back the update if you're sure it's the source of your problem?

mediaguy

Postby mediaguy » Fri May 18, 2018 9:16 am

I am not sure the April update is the issue, but anyway, to provide some insight with what I've been through with the update, I'll provide a synopsis:

1. The April Windows 10 update came like any other and was welcomed.
2. Upon install, I rebooted to a completely black screen with a small solid blue circular ring that would move about with mouse movement.
3. Unable to do ANYTHING with this black screen, I booted to repair mode and was able to get to a restore point before the update.
4. The update came back! The computer could not be rebooted without having to perform the update. It was the only option when shutting down.
5. I restored the computer again, but this time put the update in "metered mode" to slow down receiving a future update as Windows 10 Home version has no way to turn off updates (confirmed by MS).
6. The update came back again. At this point I contacted Microsoft and let a MS technician remotely enter my laptop to try to correct the issue. Success (he said), and the MS technician said "done" he got the April update installed successfully and disconnected our session after an hour's work.
7. Nope! He just installed the most recent version of Windows 10 BEFORE the April update. That April update came back and I got the black screen again!.
8 Got another MS technician to remotely look at my computer. Took about an hour - nothing accomplished. Same old, same old.
9. Got a third MS technician (the next day) to remotely work on my computer for about 1 hour. This time the update seemed to take as it was the April update and no black screen, but there were some glitches here and there. However, after a few days of use and rebooting (and I believe some minor updates) the system finally seems stable!

At this point, I don't want to go back to a previous version. Reading the above, I believe all will agree.

I do have to give it to Microsoft. Their techs are amazing with the time they provide trying to help customers solve issues FREE OF CHARGE! Don't get that support many places now a days.

And...I would be remiss not to acknowledge the support provided by SiliconDust technicians which I've found to be excellent in the past in helping to solve issues. And the participation/help offered within this SD forum is truly the best! Unfortunately, I cannott say the same for HP as all they provide is an automated assistant or pay for service.
Last edited by mediaguy on Tue May 22, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mediaguy

Postby mediaguy » Sat May 19, 2018 9:46 am

I still could use some help with this matter: "Unable to play channel HDCP required to display protected content"

If I recall correctly, I may have had a similar issue in the past with a previous Windows 10 update. It was all documented in this forum (including what was done to correct the situation that was accomplished with SD tech support help), however, it seems my old posts are mainly gone except for a couple recent ones.

What I've tried so far:
1. Uninstall and then reinstall the latest HDHomeRun Windows 10 setup
2. Reboot my HDHR3-cc

If it helps....
a) I have diagnostics turned on
b) My SD HDHomeRun version is 20180418 (1.1.259.0)
c) My device is 1316DF9B
d) I am on a wired gigabyte network, 60Mbps, and my other HDHomeRun devices/computer work fine
e) When I play a SD channel on this troublesome Windows 10 laptop the image is very shakey, when I play a HD non-DRM channel the image is clear and does not shake and when switching to a HD DRM channel I sometimes get an image of that channel for a fraction of a second before it goes to the black screen with the message about HDCP required to display...

All help would be appreciated.

ncontrol

Postby ncontrol » Sat May 19, 2018 11:40 am

Try reinstalling the driver for your video card, it may have been removed by the windows update.

mediaguy

Postby mediaguy » Sat May 19, 2018 5:47 pm

ncontrol, thanks for the suggestion, I may try it (not exactly sure how to do safely)

But, I did go to Device Manager -> Display Adapters -> Intel HD Graphics 4600 and looked into General Tab where it said the device is working properly.

However, on the Events Tab it shows that on 05/10/2018 under Description that a Device install is requested with the following information given: Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0416&SUBSYS_1965103C&REV_06\3&11583659&0&10 requires further installation.

Not exactly sure what that means, but something appears to not have been installed completely even though it says the "device is working properly."

Now the question is, if I uninstall the device "Intel HD Graphics 4600", will it just reinstall automatically or will I be left without a display to do further work on? I'm thinking the former is likely true and worst case, I believe I can enter repair mode and do some things even if the display driver isn't reinstalled (I hope). I'll do some googling on the topic and maybe give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get back with results (if I can). :!:

mediaguy

Postby mediaguy » Sat May 19, 2018 6:13 pm

Well, it was a good try, but it did not work. I still have no play on DRM channels and that message about some install being requested is still there.

I think this is the correct approach though as I seem to remember the SD tech (the last time I had problems with an update) having me do something with the video driver (not sure though).

Googling said not to uninstall the Intel HD graphics device, so I first downloaded the driver from the HP site v10.18.15.4248 that was posted 8/5/2015 so it's old. However, when I double clicked it to install I got the message that the driver is not validated for this computer and that I should go to the manufacturers website for the proper driver, so setup exited. But I got it from the HP website!!!

So, I tried something else. In device manager under Intel HD Graphics there was something where I could reinstall the driver (I forget what it said exactly), but it worked (giving me a selection of different versions of the driver to select from). I choose the one I saw on the HP site. After reboot, nothing new happened. My HDHomeRun app still does not play DRM content.

Additional suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe a SD tech might be able to look at the diagnostics from my laptop and suggest something additional, or if he/she has access to my past posts it may provide details of what was done to fix the issue in the past.

techpro2004

Postby techpro2004 » Sat May 19, 2018 6:50 pm

When I reinstall drivers, I always use ddu (https://www.wagnardsoft.com/) It completely removes the driver and I find it fixes the issues a lot more often then just installing the new driver over the old one.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sat May 19, 2018 6:54 pm

Additional suggestions would be appreciated.
I am not a windows user, but I seem to recall it should be possible to uninstall the drivers (and reboot) since it will (in worst case) revert to basic VGA mode, after which you should be able to install the new variants. But it would not be my first choice.

You can try reinstalling the HDHomeRun app (you may need to uninstall first, I forget if that is necessary). As I recall, under some cases, the app needed to revalidate some components (which I suppose might be required if you update Windows).

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Sat May 19, 2018 7:15 pm

@mediaguy

Did you try the Intel Driver & Support Assistant.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... etect.html

mediaguy

Postby mediaguy » Sat May 19, 2018 11:02 pm

OK....

I've tried uninstalling the driver

I've tried the Intel driver support assistant

And neither work. I keep getting the driver is not validated for the computer and to use the manufacturers driver. I also get try to use in compatibility mode for Windows 8, which after I do, it says not compatible with the OS.

So, now I'm planning on trying the suggested Wagnardsoft graphics driver uninstaller w/ Internet off. Just not sure how to install the HP graphics driver if the current graphics driver is removed? Anyway, I plan to first do a system image of the laptop should things go wrong. It's taking a long time, so I will likely end up doing this in the morning.

I appreciate all the suggestions I've received and if there are additional suggestions....keep them coming.

mediaguy

Postby mediaguy » Sun May 20, 2018 6:42 am

------------------ UNSUCCESSFUL -------------------------

I used Wagnardsoft graphics driver uninstaller as suggested and was able to reinstall the HP recommended driver, but....

I still get the black screen for DRM content on HDHomeRun app with message "Unable to play channel, HDCP required to display protected content"

I thank everyone for their suggestions, and should there be additional suggestions, I'd like to hear/try them.

mediaguy

Postby mediaguy » Sun May 20, 2018 8:54 am

I found the following requirements for playing DRM on Windows 10 computer (by Nickk) on another SD forum post. I seem to be meeting all the requirements and I did have it working before the update:

Windows 10 PCs (Desktops, Laptops, Tablets, HDMI-sticks, etc)
Protected channels can be viewed on Windows 10 systems if the following requirements are met:
* Windows 10 Creators Edition or newer (Build 14946 or newer).
* Microsoft MPEG2 Video Extension installed. The HDHomeRun app will prompt to install.
* System uses UEFI boot or has a TPM. Most modern systems use UEFI boot and meet this requirement.
* For computers that do not have a built in screen at least one digitally connected screen is required.
* All digitally connected screens (HDMI, DVI. DisplayPort) must support HDCP. Generally all TVs and monitors with HDMI inputs support HDCP.
* A secondary VGA-connected screen will work as long as the computer also has a digitally connected screen that supports HDCP.
* Protected channels will not play over Remote Desktop, Team Viewer, or similar screen sharing apps.
* Protected channels will not play over a VPN connection.
* Protected channels will not play in a Virtual Machine.

foxbat121

Postby foxbat121 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Laptops from big brands like HP, Dell and Sony often doesn't allow generic intel driver installs for support reasons. You will need to install manufacturer provided drivers. However this is easily defeated by manually install the driver downloaded from Intel:
1. Unzip the installation package to a folder. Intel often offers an .exe download and .zip download. Download the later.
2. Go to device manager and bring out the intel display device properties. Hit update drivers and force it to pick up the driver updates from the folder you unzipped in #1. This will allow the generic intel driver to install without any further problem.

mediaguy

Postby mediaguy » Sun May 20, 2018 5:47 pm

------------------ISSUE SOLVED ------------------------------

Thank you! foxbat121

Your suggestion for getting the updated Intel HD graphics 4600 driver installed succeeded and I now can play DRM content on my HP Envy laptop again (after the April Windows 10 update caused issues where I could not play DRM content and just had a black screen displayed).

You assistance in this matter is very much appreciated and I also thank all the others who provided suggestions.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”