Issue accessing recordings - barrgoss

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
barrgoss

Issue accessing recordings - barrgoss

Postby barrgoss » Thu May 17, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi,
Newby here.
Just started using both HDHomeRun and HDHomeRun DVR. HDHR viewer works perfectly as expected. I have a WD PR4100 NAS with the HDHomeRun DVR software loaded and activated.
Yesterday, I set up 3 tasks for recording in HDHR viewer. Those tasks show up under Tasks on the menu bar. I can log into my NAS today and view the files in Public/HDHomeRun within directories named for the tasks. There are medium large files in those directories. I can launch Blu-Ray Player on my mac (which I use as a general viewer because I like the interface,) and I can open and play the files from those directories. So I know the recording was made and the files are good.
From the Menu Bar in HDHR viewer, under Recordings, it shows No Recordings. Is there a permissions problem or something I didn't set correctly? I would expect to be able to play the recordings from within HDHR viewer.

BTW - I literally just found this forum and started this post. Please point me to the correct discussion if this is not in the right place.

Thanks for reading.
Barry

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Issue accessing recordings - barrgoss

Postby jasonl » Thu May 17, 2018 3:29 pm

What's the device ID for your HDHomeRun?

barrgoss

Postby barrgoss » Thu May 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Um... is it a good idea to give out that information? I read about many types of devices being hijacked or just plain hacked/bricked.

I'm not familiar with what info about the HDHR device is safe to post and what should be kept private. Can you enlighten me please?

Thanks.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Thu May 17, 2018 6:19 pm

The DeviceID is what is always needed for help whether in the forums or through a support ticket... the DeviceAuth is what you don't want handed out as with that if you have the DVR, one could delete all your rules or make rules (they would not have access to your recordings with such). Though nothing is 100%, generally for someone to use such, they would already be in your network and already have access to such info as well as your recordings.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu May 17, 2018 7:21 pm

About the only thing you can find just by knowing the device ID is when the warranty on the device expires.

barrgoss

Postby barrgoss » Thu May 17, 2018 7:24 pm

Thanks for that information. It's always a good idea to check these things before giving away any data.
107034B1

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu May 17, 2018 7:34 pm

It looks like your NAS has hit the limit of being able to monitor directories for file changes. SSH in to the NAS and run:

Code: Select all

echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=524288 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf sudo sysctl -p
Then stop and restart the DVR. This will increase the limit so that more can be monitored.

barrgoss

Postby barrgoss » Thu May 17, 2018 7:39 pm

xxxx@NAS root # echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=524288 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf
fs.inotify.max_user_watches=524288
root@NAS root # sudo sysctl -p
fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 524288

Stopped and started.

Have to wait for the hockey game to end before I can test it out. As the family says... priorities!

barrgoss

Postby barrgoss » Thu May 17, 2018 7:47 pm

I just checked HDHR viewer on my laptop and under Recorded... there are my recordings!

Thank you so much for the help with that. Is there a facility for marking posts as "Solved?"

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Thu May 24, 2018 11:55 pm

You can add Solved to the original title of the thread if you like but the thread will be deleted in a few months as well

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”