Incorrect programs History Channel shows

Guide Issues
dal

Incorrect programs History Channel shows

Postby dal » Thu May 17, 2018 3:04 am

Greetings - reaching out for expert assistance. I've researched and experimented - but stuck. About two months ago (or so), DVR recordings for shows on History channel became unreliable. Incorrect shows recorded, correct shows missed. I figured just my imagination or a transient bug. Now tracing further, it appears to be persistent on this channel and also on A&E shows. Comparing what DVR tasks shows for recording all episodes does not match with what History Channel.com says for FIOS channel 628 (and 128).

Have been user for two years - didn't have this issue previously. I'm not fully understanding the 'Channel Guide' situation (licensing, etc.) - so expect I'm missing something. I've scoured config settings. DVR is saving to local hard disk. Verizon FIOS cable card in HD Homerun Prime.

Thanks in advance.

MyDevice info:
Model: HDHR3-CC
Device ID: 13235041
Firmware: 20170930
ZIP Code: 22812

Specific example: Show - 'American Pickers' on History channels 628, 128. Episodes for May 16 did not show correctly in guide - other programs shown in all time slots.
Other programs with similar issues: Pawn Stars, Counting Cars, Storage Wars (History Channel and A&E)

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Incorrect programs History Channel shows

Postby jasonl » Thu May 17, 2018 3:20 pm

I switched the listing for 628 to a different one. There are 2 different channels listed as History HD, not counting west coast and Canadian versions, so that might help. I can't check 128 as that channel appears to be disabled on your device.

dal

Postby dal » Fri May 18, 2018 4:48 am

Thank you - I'll monitor for improvement.
I have just now reactivated 128 (history channel SD) and 181 (A&E SD) - I deactivated in my quest to troubleshoot this issue myself.

Is there anything of what you did that I can do myself as a user? I'm ramping up my knowledge on the channel guide component - it looks tricky. Is there a way for me to control this better. Discrepancies in shows recorded (and now I'm learning, not recorded, too) started just a month or two ago.

We have Verizon FIOS - does that help to align the correct guide for our SiliconDust products?

Thanks again for quick help on this.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Fri May 18, 2018 7:48 am

Everything should be automatic (mostly) provided the stations are labeled correctly from your provider- check scanned lineup (in your case, my guide providers don't list fios as a choice for your zip, and even tried neighboring zip codes, so that may be part of the issue with you possibly having different locals so it's "guessing" at the lineup more) ... you need to check the slice guide for the future, or search for particular shows (or click on the rule) to see upcoming episodes... The most important thing to check is that the channels are pulling in the correct guide and if not report them. In this case many of my guide providers did not have the right lineup on Monday and Tuesday this week for history, as if history just changed it that week (I can't go back more than a couple of days with most and history's web site wouldn't let me back to check the same day a week before once you reported it to see if such did change, it would have let me check if it were that the same day of the error, I did check future episodes and it is correct for me). In your case I believe the series mentioned has another "marathon" on Saturday so I would check that (also there are two series to set, as apparently some have bonus scenes, so show up as a different series)

One thing to make sure of if both SD and HD feeds exist (and active) that they both get the correct guide (I'm on pacific feeds for most but many SD stations have switched to eastern feed, as a result they would record first thus not record again if they were used, so I would need to either disable the SD or make a channel only rule (third party tools), this isn't too much a problem for me as they are also DRM so can't be recorded yet so I don't bother with such shows other than testing). In any system there will be guide errors but usually I find the provider for SD's DVR guide to be more accurate and responsive - once the channels themselves are made sure to be correct.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon May 21, 2018 1:26 pm

128 and 181 appear to have the correct listings already. One thing you can also check is comparing what is shown on zap2it.com since that is also Gracenote's data. If that's also wrong, then the data from Gracenote is wrong, and we can report that if specifics are provided. Ideally this would be for some episode at least a couple days in the future so they have time to investigate it.

Return to “Guide Issues”