Trouble with High VHF

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
twistofmatt

Trouble with High VHF

Postby twistofmatt » Sun May 13, 2018 8:41 pm

Hello, I just purchased a HDHR5-4US. I mounted an antenna (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071V ... UTF8&psc=1) up in my attic. When the antenna is plugged straight into a TV (probably a 50' length of cable to a wall coupler, then to another 6' to the antenna's rotator box), I pick up all the channels accessible perfectly. There is virtually no stutter or pixelation.

Upon plugging the antenna into the HDHR5-4US, I am having trouble getting a good tune to the 4 High VHF channels. I am experiencing some really bad stutter and pixelation. I can watch the tuner status and the Signal Strength will be at 100, Signal Quality and Symbol Quality will start at 100, and then bottom out, and then come back to 100. It happens every few seconds.

I am new at this OTA television (long time cable user looking to cut). I was wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions as to what I can do to try and get a better reception on those High VHF channels.

I almost want to think I need to get a better antenna, but if it was working plugged straight into a TV, I am not sure that is the problem.

I've done a lot of reading online and checking out tvfool.com to make sure I point my antenna in the right direction. I am just confused on what else (if anything) I can do.

Thanks for your advice.

ebo

Re: Trouble with High VHF

Postby ebo » Mon May 14, 2018 11:40 am

Since the antenna has a preamp and the Signal Strength is showing 100%, you may be overloading the HDHR tuners. 100% is the highest it reads, so there's no telling if the signal is too high. Several posts here have indicated that the HDHR tuners are more susceptible to signal overload than many TVs are. You could try reducing the input signal level. If you don't have an attenuator, a 2-way splitter will reduce the signal by about 3.5 dB, a 4-way by 7 dB. Reduce the signal until it's a little below 100% and see if that helps.

I've also read that mounting the tuner near devices that generate RF interference such as routers and Ethernet switches can cause reception problems.

twistofmatt

Postby twistofmatt » Mon May 14, 2018 12:26 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even think that I could be overloading the signal. Being a network admin, I am use to just getting as much signal as possible to my device for connectivity and latency reasons. I will try putting in some splitters and seeing what happens.

The HDHR is sitting on a table next to the box that "powers" the antenna and an Apple TV. I will try moving the box that powers the antenna into the attic closer to the antenna itself and away from the HDHR.

I appreciate your feedback and willingness to offer advice. The one thing i've noticed about these forums is people are friendly and seem willing to help without getting all "RTFM" on people.

Thanks again.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Tue May 15, 2018 4:54 pm

first I am not an OTA person... Looked up your antenna and first suggestion would be just to unplug it and see what levels your getting and quality of picture. Signal quality is more important for OTA where with cable signal strength is more important. The amp on the antenna show a gain of 32dB, that is kind of extreme but their add says 150 mile range. Does TVfool show a need for that range to signal towers?

twistofmatt

Postby twistofmatt » Tue May 15, 2018 4:58 pm

Actually, I heard back from silicon dust support and they confirmed from the logs that my signal was being overloaded. I think I purchased an antenna that was too powerful for my needs, so I actually sent that one back to Amazon. I don't need 150 miles. The farthest away is like 15-20. I in turn purchased this antenna:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024 ... UTF8&psc=1

It is still too rated too far for my needs, but it's also not amplified, so I can probably tone down the signal easier. I did try adding splitters and removing the "power" from the antenna, and it didn't seem to help. I was able to drop the signal strength, but it still still presenting the same problems.

Thanks for your advice.

jasonmcroy

Postby jasonmcroy » Tue May 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Just to give you another vote for the overloading problem, I was like you and felt a more powerful antenna would get the job done better. When I backed off and got an antenna with less miles I was much happier. I am only about 15 miles from my towers and it is mostly over water with very little obstruction.
I got my tuners to a point where the signal strength hits about 90-95% on most channels and one channel is 80-85% but my signal quality is 100% across all the tuners as is my symbol quality. I rarely see any problems in my recordings now.
I hope yours goes as well!

twistofmatt

Postby twistofmatt » Fri May 18, 2018 5:29 am

Just to give you another vote for the overloading problem, I was like you and felt a more powerful antenna would get the job done better. When I backed off and got an antenna with less miles I was much happier. I am only about 15 miles from my towers and it is mostly over water with very little obstruction.
I got my tuners to a point where the signal strength hits about 90-95% on most channels and one channel is 80-85% but my signal quality is 100% across all the tuners as is my symbol quality. I rarely see any problems in my recordings now.
I hope yours goes as well!
Can you tell me what antenna you actually bought? Your situation is so similar to mine. My new antenna I got seems to be better, but it's still having some issues.

jasonmcroy

Postby jasonmcroy » Fri May 18, 2018 10:18 pm

Can you tell me what antenna you actually bought? Your situation is so similar to mine. My new antenna I got seems to be better, but it's still having some issues.
I bought the Winegard FreeVision Indoor and Outdoor Antenna from Home Depot.
I have it pointed out of a window on the 3rd floor of my townhouse. Prior to this one I tried the Mohu Leaf (the worst one I have ever tried) and the Winegard Flat window antenna.

The Freevision has worked the best for me. You can get it on Amazon too but if you have a Home Depot near you they sell them. Lowe's in my area doesn't.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon May 21, 2018 3:58 pm

I'd go with the Antennas Direct C1-V over the FreeVision. $33 on Solid Signal. If it's not enough VHF antenna for you, then you're probably going to need to go up to an attic antenna like an RCA ANT751 or Winegard HD7694P.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”