Tuner sensitivity.

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Sev

Tuner sensitivity.

Postby Sev » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:46 am

Anybody ever measure the tuner sensitivity between models?

I have the HDHR5.

I have noticed that the tuner is not as sensitive as my Avermedia stick or the built in tuner in my Samusung tv.
Both both pick up weaker channels that silicondust unit misses.

So are any of the older silicondust models known to have a more sensitive tuner?

Thank you.

SoNic67

Re: Tuner sensitivity.

Postby SoNic67 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:08 pm

Well, you have an internal splitter for your Duo two channels. That adds some attenuation compared with tuners with one input.

Sev

Postby Sev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:37 am

True.
However I am also using an RCA amplifier.
Still the loss may be more than the amplifier makes up for.

I'll be stacking a Winegard HD7698 and a rather large Archer VHF antenna. Both channels I am having trouble with are VHF lo and hi.
I do know that both those channels have also a UHF companion signal. Though I have not picked them up with my current antenna.
An old Radioshack VU-190xr.
The Archer has quite a bit gain and is quite the impressively built antenna. They just do not make them like that anymore.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:03 pm

The HDHR5 should out perform a USB stick.

Be careful you are not over-amplifying - too much signal can cause reduced reception performance.

Nick

Sev

Postby Sev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:13 pm

I am pretty sure I am not over amplifying. I am edge 1 and 2 on all my signals. If I remove the amp I lose signal.
The channels I am losing come through the back side of the antenna towards the west. The signal is def weaker than than my locals I am picking up towards the west.

All I can say is both the tuner on the tv and the Avermedia stick plugged into the laptop both pick up the stations and the Silicondust unit does not. It could be a combination of insertion loss and the 2 tuners making combined loss that drops the signal below the sensitivity range.

Sev

Postby Sev » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Ok.
I just switched out my old Radioshack VU-190XR for a Winegard HD8200U.
I rescanned.
I went from 18 channels to 13.

I scanned using my Avermedia stick and came up with 28 channels. Seven of which 19.1-19.7 duplicate.
The meter on avermedia stick shows acceptable signal strength on all but 1 channel. Which is not of any importance in any case.

The TV using its tuner is still picking up all the channels as well.

Idea's? Explanation?

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:58 pm

We would like to get some diagnostic data.

If you are using a Windows PC:
  1. If you have not already done so, please install the latest HDHomeRun Windows software from https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/
  2. Run HDHomeRun Setup, enable “Send diagnostic information...” on the Advanced tab and click Apply. If you do not have an Advanced tab, close HDHomeRun Setup and reopen it.
  3. Unplug the power from the HDHomeRun and plug it back in
  4. After the powerup sequence finishes, click “Scan” on the Digital Antenna tab
  5. Click OK
If you are using a Mac:
  1. If you have not already done so, please install the latest HDHomeRun Mac software from https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/
  2. Open Terminal and run:

Code: Select all

hdhomerun_config ffffffff set /sys/debug debug_enabled=10
  4. After the powerup sequence finishes, run a channel scan on the HDHomeRun's web page
Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs.

Sev

Postby Sev » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:40 pm

Will do.
Already have all the latest software updates and firmware.

Sev

Postby Sev » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:15 pm

I ran the software. It would not let me modify the settings. Had to run the repair.
However after rebooting the computer and the box I am back to 17 channels. Channels 36.1 -.4 returned. 68.1 is still missing.

Scanned again and channels 36.1-.4 disappeared again.

Had to uninstall and reinstall the software in order to turn on the diagnostic option.

The channels failed to reappear after the reinstall.

Let me know what you find jasonl.

FYI. I am running a VPN on the router I am using the unit on. Not sure if that will affect you receiving the data.

I also placed the unit in the DMZ on the router to bypass the firewall.

Sev

Postby Sev » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:21 am

We would like to get some diagnostic data.

If you are using a Windows PC:
  1. If you have not already done so, please install the latest HDHomeRun Windows software from https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/
  2. Run HDHomeRun Setup, enable “Send diagnostic information...” on the Advanced tab and click Apply. If you do not have an Advanced tab, close HDHomeRun Setup and reopen it.
  4. After the powerup sequence finishes, click “Scan” on the Digital Antenna tab
  5. Click OK
If you are using a Mac:
  1. If you have not already done so, please install the latest HDHomeRun Mac software from https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/
  2. Open Terminal and run:

Code: Select all

hdhomerun_config ffffffff set /sys/debug debug_enabled=10
  4. After the powerup sequence finishes, run a channel scan on the HDHomeRun's web page
Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs.
Are you getting any telemetry yet?
Also I rescanned one last time last night. Channels 2.1 - .3 were picked up. They they are not coming very well. The meters are showing poor numbers. The channels come in on my tv and Avermedia stick.
Note these channels are being picked up through the back side of the antenna. No chance of to much amplification.

I am thinking of moving the unit next to the preamp power module and hooking the unit to the modem.

Sev

Postby Sev » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Interesting.

Moved the unit as I contemplated in the previous post .

I did not rescan.

I checked the channel line up and now there are 20 channels. 2.1 - 2.3 are present as are 36.1 - 36.4
Frequency's are showing.
Getting signal strength in the high 90's on the 36 channels. But nothing else.
Getting signal strength in the high 80's in the the 2 channels and not much else.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Device ID?

Sev

Postby Sev » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:32 pm

Device ID?
OOOPs!! :oops: 1061A9AC

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:18 pm

What VHF low channel are you having trouble with? The only VHF low I see in your area is WCYB, and that seems to be coming in quite well. I do see VHF high channel 9 (19.x) coming and going. When it comes in, it's only around 52% signal quality, where 50% is the absolute minimum to fully decode the signal. That one is broadcasting from Bays Mountain (directly across the river from Kingsport).

Sev

Postby Sev » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:05 pm

What VHF low channel are you having trouble with? The only VHF low I see in your area is WCYB, and that seems to be coming in quite well. I do see VHF high channel 9 (19.x) coming and going. When it comes in, it's only around 52% signal quality, where 50% is the absolute minimum to fully decode the signal. That one is broadcasting from Bays Mountain (directly across the river from Kingsport).

According to TVFool.

WEPT Channel 2.1 (PBS) is due west @ 635MHz and is 53.8 miles away @ 269 degrees. Kingsport If I recall correctly.
WCYB Channel 5. (NBC & CW) is VHF Low @ 79MHz and and is 7 miles away and is experiences pixelation.
WJHL Channel 11 (CBS & ABC) is VHF High @ 201Mhz and is 4.9 miles way.
WKPT Channel 19.1 (COZI) @ 551MHz also 4.9 miles away
WEMT Channel 39.1 (FOX) @ 617MHz is 7 miles away.
WAPK Channel 36.1 (METV) @ 503MHz is 4.9 miles away.

As you will note aside from 2.1 all the other transmitters are between 60 and 63 degrees

Now the interesting thing is FOX is my problem Transmitter. It is 62 feet lower on the tower than WCYB. Yet FOX if coming in better than WCYB.

Also as stated before. I have no problem picking up these channels using either the tuner in the TV or the Avermedia stick.
WEPT is weaker than the rest due to it coming along the back side of the antenna.

You have stated that the Silicondust unit should be more sensitive than the stick.

A couple of possibilities I can think of.
The silicondust model I have is produced with a tuner that is less sensitive than a usb stick or that which is in my TV.
Or the more likely scenario the tuner in the product I have is defective. Something in it is causing the threshold at which it will detect a signal properly to be higher.
Or perhaps there is just something in the circuitry causing the unit to be inconsistent.
Or perhaps there is another explanation.

Unfortunately I dont have a second unit to test against.

Thoughts?

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”