Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
Peterc

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by Peterc »

demonrik wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:35 am
Peterc wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:18 am Hi all, First I want to say thanks, I love this app and have been using it for many years. I just upgraded to version 1.1.0 on DSM 6 from 1.0.2. While the DVR seems to still be working fine and I can see all my recordings in the HDHomeRun app, I can't get to the UI anymore. I am trying to access http://nas ip/HDHomeRunDVR but now get 404 The page you are looking for cannot be found. I tried rebooting the NAS too. Can someone advise what might be wrong? Thanks in advance.
Did you install DSM7?
fwiw - 1.0.2 and 1.1.0 are functionally the same as mentioned in link

I was worried something wouldn't work completely on DSM6 even though in my testing on single Synology worked.
things to check..
check the UI is copied to /var/services/web/HDHomeRunDVR (i.e. the folder exists and has something in it)
Also check the permissions of the files in that folder - should be owned by hdhomerundvr and group set to http

if the folder is missing - that's an issue :( not sur why it would happen.. but if you can look for /tmp/hdhomerundvr_install.log there might be some details in there as to why it failed to install

if folder exists but permissions are wrong.. you can fix with

Code: Select all

chmod -R hdhomerundvr:http /var/services/www/HDHomeRunDVR
Thank you for the quick response. I did not upgrade to DSM 7 yet, and probably wont till the end of the year when I have some time. It appears the folder is missing. Should I downgrade back to 1.02? Can I just run th 1.0.2 spk over 1.1.0 or i have to uninstall first before downgrading?

Here is what is in the Dir and the log

/var/services/web$ ls -la
drwxrwxrwx 4 root root 4096 Sep 27 09:22 .
drwxr-xr-x 35 root root 4096 Sep 27 10:10 ..
drwxrwxrwx+ 3 root root 4096 Sep 27 10:09 @eaDir
drwxrwxrwx 2 admin users 4096 Sep 27 2013 index_files
-rwxrwxrwx 1 admin users 23653 Sep 27 2013 index.htm
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3694 Sep 14 2013 instructions.html

vi hdhomerundvr_install.log
HDHomeRunDVR: ** SYNOPKG_DSM_VERSION_MAJOR set to 6
HDHomeRunDVR: ===========================
HDHomeRunDVR: Starting Engine:
HDHomeRunDVR: ** Validating the Config File is available and set up correctly
HDHomeRunDVR: Config File exists and is writable - is record path and port correct
HDHomeRunDVR: ** Installing the HDHomeRunDVR Record Engine
HDHomeRunDVR: Lets remove any existing engine - we're going to take the latest always....
HDHomeRunDVR: Checking it was deleted - if we can't remove it we can't update
HDHomeRunDVR: Downloading latest release
HDHomeRunDVR: Skipping check for beta - using the Release version
HDHomeRunDVR: Changing binary owner to hdhomerundvr
HDHomeRunDVR: Running as user_id(0)
HDHomeRunDVR: Requesting Engine Status:

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

Peterc wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:07 am Thank you for the quick response. I did not upgrade to DSM 7 yet, and probably wont till the end of the year when I have some time. It appears the folder is missing. Should I downgrade back to 1.02? Can I just run th 1.0.2 spk over 1.1.0 or i have to uninstall first before downgrading?
Yes - you can simply reinstall 1.0.2
folder missing I'll have to investigate..
The install log seems like it's not captured what was done in the install.. only when the engine is started.

it may be quicker/easier to just simply create the folder

cp -R /var/packages/HDHomeRunDVR/target/web /var/services/web
chown -R http:http /var/services/web/HDHomeRunDVR
chmod -R 755 /var/services/web/HDHomeRunDVR
edit... fwiw - this is what the installer does for DSM6

Peterc

Post by Peterc »

demonrik wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:21 am
Peterc wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:07 am Thank you for the quick response. I did not upgrade to DSM 7 yet, and probably wont till the end of the year when I have some time. It appears the folder is missing. Should I downgrade back to 1.02? Can I just run th 1.0.2 spk over 1.1.0 or i have to uninstall first before downgrading?
Yes - you can simply reinstall 1.0.2
folder missing I'll have to investigate..
The install log seems like it's not captured what was done in the install.. only when the engine is started.

it may be quicker/easier to just simply create the folder

cp -R /var/packages/HDHomeRunDVR/target/web /var/services/web
chown -R http:http /var/services/web/HDHomeRunDVR
chmod -R 755 /var/services/web/HDHomeRunDVR
edit... fwiw - this is what the installer does for DSM6
Thank you again. I uninstalled and reinstalled 1.0.2 and the UI is back.

fletchb

Post by fletchb »

Hello,
I have used your excellent software for several years now- no issues once I got it all working.

I just bought a new synology 1821 a few days ago to take over duties from the 918. It came with DSM 7

I remember you had to help me with acl permissions- is that still the case with 7?

I am still copying data so it will be a few days till I even get to this but just wondering what has changed for 7?

Thanks again...

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

fletchb wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:05 pm Hello,
I have used your excellent software for several years now- no issues once I got it all working.

I just bought a new synology 1821 a few days ago to take over duties from the 918. It came with DSM 7

I remember you had to help me with acl permissions- is that still the case with 7?

I am still copying data so it will be a few days till I even get to this but just wondering what has changed for 7?

Thanks again...
should just work.
If you have recordings missing as you copy over - check permissions of the files.. but ACL permissions on the share should be good.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

All
With regret - I'm going to have to abandon support of Synology package.
My Synology has been more or less out of use for some time and just hanging in there to allow me to test this package.
Sometime while I was away in last 2 weeks the hard disk in the NAS died.
I don't have a spare drive to resurrect the NAS and TBH don't really want to invest in it as I have so much storage elsewhere.

For those with Synology NASes which supports containers (mostly x86 based ones, see link) I would recommend you to move to docker container I created and will happily help folks migrate over on the other thread viewtopic.php?f=126&t=73757

For those who can't run docker.. I apologize - while I don't need a Synology to create packages.. I do need one to test and support. Trying to support installation issues or permissions issues is impossible without one. So 1.1.0 will be the last update from me, and will continue to update to the latest engine that SD makes available on restart as ever.

If someone wants to take on the work..
Happy to sit down via zoom or whatever and walk through the build/structure and transfer knowledge.

fletchb

Post by fletchb »

demonrik wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:00 am
fletchb wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:05 pm Hello,

Thanks again...
should just work.
If you have recordings missing as you copy over - check permissions of the files.. but ACL permissions on the share should be good.
It worked great and I did not have to do anything this time. Just saw your other note: Thank you for supporting us all this time. I probably would have given up on HDhomerun if not for your software.

I already use docker and will migrate. Thank you for all you have done for us.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

demonrik wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:16 am I don't have a spare drive to resurrect the NAS and TBH don't really want to invest in it as I have so much storage elsewhere.
Would you resume support if someone sent you a drive? I'd have to imagine that there's a Synology user somewhere that has a box of old drives and can spare something for the cause.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

jasonl wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:09 pm
demonrik wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:16 am I don't have a spare drive to resurrect the NAS and TBH don't really want to invest in it as I have so much storage elsewhere.
Would you resume support if someone sent you a drive? I'd have to imagine that there's a Synology user somewhere that has a box of old drives and can spare something for the cause.
is more than the drive.. I could easily get one for $20 that would do the job.
The drive is just the forcing function of reviewing what it takes to support, and how over the last 6yrs my personal life and interests have morphed.
Even just having the Synology on my network means having to keep up to date with firmware updates at a min, checking logs to make sure it's not doing anything untoward, etc. It's just a headache I don't need.
Most of the support of the SPK these days has nothing to do with the SPK - it's more about supporting the NAS quirks itself. And with the changes in DSM7 I'm kinda - m'eh!!
So ultimately I just don't need this 5yr old NAS in my life..

I want to focus on the container since that's honestly been the only way I deploy the DVR on my QNAP (8yrs old) and Asustor (4yrs old) NASes for the last year+
And yes... I plan to also retire both of those NASes by end of year as I consolidate everything to my UnRAID NAS I built this summer.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Silicondust and community has been helped tremendously by demonrik maintaining these packages. I think it's time we (Silicondust) take on the maintenance burden, and release our own official packages for Synology and QNAP based on his work. It's something we should have done a long time ago, but honestly, demonrik did such a good job that it was easy to forget about, and he gave this much more love and attention that we could at that time, so it was easy to put it on the back burner. Now it's time we put in some work ourselves to make it easier to install on these NASes.

husterk

Post by husterk »

I am trying to install the HDHomeRunDVR-1.1.0_DSM7.spk to my Synology NAS running DSM v7.0.1-42218. When I attempt to manually install the package via the DSM package manager, I keep running into a "Failed to install the package" error. I have tried digging through the Synology logs but I haven't found any more detail regarding why the install failed. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I currently have no DVR because I can't install the DSM 7 version or the older DSM 6 version. The older version fails due to an "Invalid file format" error.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

husterk wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:19 am I am trying to install the HDHomeRunDVR-1.1.0_DSM7.spk to my Synology NAS running DSM v7.0.1-42218. When I attempt to manually install the package via the DSM package manager, I keep running into a "Failed to install the package" error. I have tried digging through the Synology logs but I haven't found any more detail regarding why the install failed. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I currently have no DVR because I can't install the DSM 7 version or the older DSM 6 version. The older version fails due to an "Invalid file format" error.
The issue with the DSM6 version is what is expected on a DSM7 NAS. The specifications are different between the 2, so you cannot install a DSM6 built SPK on DSM7.

As to the DSM7 SPK.. It shouldn't cause an issue but can be so many things.
Installing via command line usually outputs more information.. Not sure why Synology don't just capture to the logs, but they don't

> sudo synopkg install ./HDHomeRunDVR-1.1.0_DSM7.spk
There should be a log generate in /tmp/hdhomerundvr_install.log (it's there no matter how you install)
That may be able to provide clues.

You may also need to click on the options for the package center to allow installing
open the package center settings (top right I think of the dialog) and under general tab make sure 'Any Publisher' is set as the trust level..

mrfreeze1963

Post by mrfreeze1963 »

@demonrik,

It'll be sad to see you go, but I can understand it. You helped me a few times when my initial setup didn't want to work. You've been the man with practically all things Synology and QNAP, based on what I've read in the threads. Seems like you should have a festive "retirement" party thrown in your honor to recognize your hard work and dedication for all you've done.

@NedS,

If SiliconDust will be taking up @demonrik's torch and running with it, then I have to hip y'all to something that might affect y'all's RDT&E timeline.

I was checking around on Synology's website for any special announcements or updates involving DSM 6.2. According to Software Product Support page, there are 31 packages that are being retired this year. One of the announcements - https://www.synology.com/en-us/products ... age_202109 - says PHP 5.6, 7.0, 7.2, and Apache HTTP Server 2.2 will be removed in March 2022.

I'm still running DSM 6.2 and HDHR DVR 1.0.2. The package has a dependency on PHP 7.2 that cannot be uninstalled, which will be affected by the future removal. Will the DVR engines in the future be able to install and run on a higher version of PHP 7.x or PHP 8.x??
Last edited by mrfreeze1963 on Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrfreeze1963

Post by mrfreeze1963 »

demonrik wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:31 pm
The drive is just the forcing function of reviewing what it takes to support, and how over the last 6yrs my personal life and interests have morphed.
Even just having the Synology on my network means having to keep up to date with firmware updates at a min, checking logs to make sure it's not doing anything untoward, etc. It's just a headache I don't need.
Most of the support of the SPK these days has nothing to do with the SPK - it's more about supporting the NAS quirks itself. And with the changes in DSM7 I'm kinda - m'eh!!

I want to focus on the container since that's honestly been the only way I deploy the DVR on my QNAP (8yrs old) and Asustor (4yrs old) NASes for the last year+
And yes... I plan to also retire both of those NASes by end of year as I consolidate everything to my UnRAID NAS I built this summer.
I'm personally curious @demonrik : From your experiences, would it be better to run the DVR engine from Docker or a Linux flavor (e.g., Ubuntu, Fedora, Linux Mint, etc.) instead of on a supported NAS OS (i.e., Synology, QNAP, etc.)??? It might help me decide what to do about my current setup.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

mrfreeze1963 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:53 pm
demonrik wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:31 pm

I'm personally curious @demonrik : From your experiences, would it be better to run the DVR engine from Docker or a Linux flavor (e.g., Ubuntu, Fedora, Linux Mint, etc.) instead of on a supported NAS OS (i.e., Synology, QNAP, etc.)??? It might help me decide what to do about my current setup.
I use containers for other things, so I have it already in use on my NAS(es)
The only one I didn't have the capability was the Synology because Synology aren't adding ARM support to their docker version.
So once you have containers already in use adding the DVR just makes sense