Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
Beerman

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by Beerman »

Whatever it takes, once again thank you for all you do to make this work so perfect! It's greatly appreciated.

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

Beerman wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:56 am Whatever it takes, once again thank you for all you do to make this work so perfect! It's greatly appreciated.
trying my best :)

But have hit a big stumbling block here. I've contacted Synology to see if I can get help with an issue of integrating into the web station.
I've copied a lot of what phpMyAdmin was doing - but still fails for me.
So am missing something simple here - just not sure what!

Right now...
I have the engine autostarting, but no UI.. so you would have to hand modify the config file (if you don't want to accept defaults :))
Also, updating from pre-DSM7 install (i.e. you installed SPK on DSM6.x and updated to DSM7) is not working. so would have to 'remove' the current package and then re-install

Until I get support from Synology for Web Station integration.. I can't move the UI issue forward.
Should I release without the UI?

And there is some significant changes with the packaging between DSM6 and DSM7 where it's tricky to manage. Will look at that while I wait for the Web Station fix.

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

Did I read where some had updated to Beta 7 and had it working ok? Synology's support is pretty slow. I've gotten more help in the forum.
For me, there's no rush. I'd rather wait and know I have no chance of fracking it up.
I did not install the beta but I guess that's not going to make any difference.

And, I still offer to make a donation for your efforts.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Beerman wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:46 pm Did I read where some had updated to Beta 7 and had it working ok? Synology's support is pretty slow. I've gotten more help in the forum.
if you just update - it will continue working.
The issue is if you need to install on 7 - they've changed the configuration of the SPK so there are big changes, and thus it is incompatible :(
And agree on their support.. Got email from them to say use their forums that they don't support SPK developers
Will continue looking in to it..

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Eureka!!!

I have a working installation on DSM 7!

just pure brute force trial and error to find out which line in the config was breaking it.. turns out an optional item is not always an optional item... you shouldn't have it when something else is specified. Thanks Synology docs..

Anyway.. now on to providing BOTH DSM 6 & 7 installer, and upgrade path on 7 from 6.

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

Nice work! Can't wait to try it out!

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Beerman wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:38 pm Nice work! Can't wait to try it out!
I need to verify the DSM6 stuff now..
But it's proving a little more difficult than I hoped to get the NAS to go back from 7 beta...
Once I can prove the DSM6 install works.. and the 6 to 7 upgrade is clean.. I'll release new packages, and will be the final package for DSM6.x as I don't want to go through this every time :(

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

NEW PACKAGE AVAILABLE
  • New configuration for DSM7 release - reduced privilege's, share creation, webstation integration.
Note: 1.1.0 is made available for DSM6 but has no changes.. All changes were for DSM7 and the DSM6 build represents the common buiild going forward.
So - there is absolutely no need to upgrade from 1.0.2 to 1.1.0 if you don't want to.
That said - am interested in hearing from anyone that does to confirm all is well.

Strangely on updated to the full DSM7 I found the SPK stopped by Synology and parked.. I couldn't use until I install a new version.
The recommended path to upgrade is to REMOVE the old SPK.. this will not remove your recordings or the share
Once removed, SSH to the NAS and remove the temporary files in /tmp

Code: Select all

/$ ls /tmp/hdh*
/tmp/hdhomerundvr_install.log  /tmp/hdhomerun_record_arm
This is because on installing the new package the Synology will MOVE the username from the previous install, e.g.

Code: Select all

hdhomerundvr => hdhomerundvr__PKG_
and now it has permissions issues.
So better to circumvent it and remove the package, install and fix.
Once you reinstall the new package, update the RecordPath, remember to add hdhomerundvr user (now a system user) to the share if different to default HDHomeRunDVR

new SPK HDHomeRunDVR-1.1.0.spk for both DSM6 and DSM7 available in the usual locations Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive

Code is available on github
https://github.com/Silicondust/dvr_install
Last edited by demonrik on Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

I did update to DSM 7 today and things seem to be working fine. But before I tempt fate further with the SPK, I'm going to see how doing nothing else works out for awhile. I'll catch up with your great work in the near future.

DornoDios
Device ID: 107C3D26

Post by DornoDios »

I searched google and found the following.

"If an episode has ever been recorded and deleted before it will not be recorded again even when using the "record all episodes" feature."

Is there anyway to reset the database so everything will record again? I deleted a bunch of syndicated shows and 'all episodes' are no longer recording.

Edited for content, time and to fit your screen. :)
Last edited by DornoDios on Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

DornoDios wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:39 pm Is there anyway to reset the database so everything will record again?
I've reset your deletion history. It should record everything again.

Personally, I think the options should be like this:

Delete - Delete this one recording, but record it again if there is a matching task (this is the same as "Delete and re-record" in the current UI)

Delete and don't re-record (or something to that extent) - Delete and don't re-record, obviously (unless an individual task for a specific broadcast is set) (same as "Delete" in the current UI)

I believe that would be far more clear to the user. I also think it should be possible to reset the deletion history for a show by removing the series task and adding it back.

DornoDios
Device ID: 107C3D26

Post by DornoDios »

NedS wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:51 pm I've reset your deletion history. It should record everything again.
Thank you!

The issue probably does not arise very often. The main problem seems to be with any shows that are in syndication. The viewer may have already seen a particular Seinfeld episode, but that doesn't mean they won't want to watch it again at some point in the future. On occasion you may have a backlog of episodes and need to remove them to free space. With the current setup you will never record those episodes again.

As you stated the main problem is that it isn't clear to the user why some shows are not recording. I think the solution you have suggested would be the ideal way for things to work.

Being able to remove the timer rule and add it again to delete the history would be perfect. That was the very first thing I did to try and fix the 'issue' only to find that nothing had changed. That alone would be a major help. Implementing the other changes would fully alleviate any issues in my opinion.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

That won't fix it as some still need the old history around such as if they may delete a task when not in season to keep such long list a bit more manageable) or accidentally delete such task.

A better approach would be an api to clear all that regular users/programmers can use (based on what currently gets done), but it should be expanded to clear by SeriesID or even ProgramID. In my mind such history needs both ProgramID and SeriesID but something tells me it may just be ProgramID since they have had to reset all and if that ProgramID isn't in any current lineups it "may" be tough to match up to SeriesID and Episode information to reset something not known to be coming up. I would see it as a reset history (possibly under record more) on the series (I really do miss the various options that were under series that most kind of got to record more but really should be where they were (such as hide)) but also the ability to purge such for that one episode coming up that isn't shown to be set to record. I can also see such turn up for search for .deleted (or another menu item somewhere that essentially does that, similar to .hidden which is almost useless now) that could bring up such and allow reset of series and individual episodes. Personally I would have rather the default on delete to not be don't rerecord in the app as it would then take that extra step to be sure as it is better to record something than not record it

But for the life of me since this is on the Synology thread, I can't see why one would have deleted through the app to make space (its a bit different situation with a scribe, servio, and possibly flex but the flex is so much easier to "pop" the drive since its external, as there isn't files system access to such) because if you delete the files (not through app) they would record again as it requires the app (or something with the understanding of the DVR) to tell the servers not to rerecord. Granted demonrik typically doesn't make that location a share but if you find you are in need of doing such management, it makes things a lot easier but even still I would have gone through ssh to delete them before using the app to do so to make space.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

signcarver wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:39 pm Granted demonrik typically doesn't make that location a share but if you find you are in need of doing such management, it makes things a lot easier but even still I would have gone through ssh to delete them before using the app to do so to make space.
Has been a share since 1.0.0 ;)
Installer can still move RecordPath to a non-share

TimodReynolds

Post by TimodReynolds »

I'm having an issue with recording. The DVR manager is not able to find the tuners and says I have 0 channels. When I visit the IP address of the tuner (HDHR5-4K) i have no problems and there appears to be nothing wrong with the tuner (all channels show up) and more importantly, I am able to watch live TV through the HD homerun software and there are more than zero channels. Also, it appears I can start a recording when using the HDHomeRun windows 10 app and tell it to record right now but not if I schedule it?

This is on my Synology NAS running DSM 6 and using DVR manager 1.0.2. The tuner is on record engine 20210624. I feel like an upgrade in the recording engine might have caused this but I don't know for sure. All I know is that my system stopped recording things within the last few months.