Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
Post Reply
Jimmersd
Posts: 333
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:32 pm

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by Jimmersd » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:34 pm

ppasteur wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:02 pm
Hi Rik,
I have been messing with getting your latest version going for a couple of days. I actually have got everything functioning properly now with One exception.
So, it is recording properly bot live TV and show recording. Logs are getting created. I moved all of my previous recordings from the Shield and figured out the permissions so they show up.
I went through the process early in the thread about exposing the HDHomeRunDVR folder as a share. But Synology will not allow me to create the share so it is visible in DSM and accessible remotely.
It tells me "The Operation Failed" "Log into DSM and try again". I have tried with my account which is an admin and with the admin account. I can create other new Shares with either account.
Do you have any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

I do really appreciate all of the work you do on this package and helping people to make it work, A LOT!
I do vote for a package that would auto-create the share. Maybe an option to either create it, or not depending on preference.

Thanks,
PP
Sorry but I haven't read your previous post. Have you tried to SSH to the DS and change the folder permissions as a SU? I was able to CHMOD my recording directories and then make a public share in DSM.
I did this quite a while ago so I don't remember the actual steps but I created the recording directory before I installed Rick's build.

demonrik
Posts: 1130
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 am
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:55 pm

ppasteur wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:02 pm
Hi Rik,
I have been messing with getting your latest version going for a couple of days. I actually have got everything functioning properly now with One exception.
So, it is recording properly bot live TV and show recording. Logs are getting created. I moved all of my previous recordings from the Shield and figured out the permissions so they show up.
I went through the process early in the thread about exposing the HDHomeRunDVR folder as a share. But Synology will not allow me to create the share so it is visible in DSM and accessible remotely.
It tells me "The Operation Failed" "Log into DSM and try again". I have tried with my account which is an admin and with the admin account. I can create other new Shares with either account.
Do you have any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

I do really appreciate all of the work you do on this package and helping people to make it work, A LOT!
I do vote for a package that would auto-create the share. Maybe an option to either create it, or not depending on preference.

Thanks,
PP
as covered here viewtopic.php?p=309570#p309570 How to expose the default RecordPath as a share (or even just see it in FileStation)
you need to ssh and do following

Code: Select all

sudo synoacltool -add /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR group:administrators:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd—
then it should work

ppasteur
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:54 pm

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by ppasteur » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:22 am

As I mentioned I have done that and the command to give HTTP permissions, several times. I did follow all of the steps in your link actually. Looking at the permissions on the folder it looks ok. I can post the results of ls -la if it would help. I still get the error message when trying to share it. Someone posted that they had uses chmod 777. I guess I could try that, but wasn't sure I wanted to open things up to that extent.
Something else is going on, but I am not sure what.

Here are the permissions and the results after running the command you posted above.

drwxrwx---+ 1 http http 462 Sep 6 18:00 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 340 Sep 6 13:06 ..
----------+ 1 ppasteur users 51989 Sep 5 17:59 20190905.log
----------+ 1 ppasteur users 48847 Sep 6 17:58 20190906.log
-rw-rw-rw- 1 http http 47133 Sep 7 10:32 20190907.log

ACL version: 1
Archive: has_ACL,is_support_ACL
Owner: [http(user)]
---------------------
[0] group:administrators:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd-- (level:0)
[1] group:administrators:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd-- (level:0)
[2] group:http:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd-- (level:0)

@Jimmersd This was my first post on the subject. Thanks for the reply..... I will see if I can find a post you made on the subject.

PP

demonrik
Posts: 1130
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 am
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:11 am

ppasteur wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:22 am
As I mentioned I have done that and the command to give HTTP permissions, several times. I did follow all of the steps in your link actually. Looking at the permissions on the folder it looks ok. I can post the results of ls -la if it would help. I still get the error message when trying to share it. Someone posted that they had uses chmod 777. I guess I could try that, but wasn't sure I wanted to open things up to that extent.
Something else is going on, but I am not sure what.

Here are the permissions and the results after running the command you posted above.

drwxrwx---+ 1 http http 462 Sep 6 18:00 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 340 Sep 6 13:06 ..
----------+ 1 ppasteur users 51989 Sep 5 17:59 20190905.log
----------+ 1 ppasteur users 48847 Sep 6 17:58 20190906.log
-rw-rw-rw- 1 http http 47133 Sep 7 10:32 20190907.log

ACL version: 1
Archive: has_ACL,is_support_ACL
Owner: [http(user)]
---------------------
[0] group:administrators:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd-- (level:0)
[1] group:administrators:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd-- (level:0)
[2] group:http:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd-- (level:0)

@Jimmersd This was my first post on the subject. Thanks for the reply..... I will see if I can find a post you made on the subject.

PP
weird..
could be basic fs world permissions alright..
try chmod to 777 as u suggest and see if that fixes

ppasteur
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:54 pm

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by ppasteur » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:10 pm

ok after "chmod 777 HDHomeRunDVR"
drwxrwxrwx 1 http http 462 Sep 6 18:00 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 340 Sep 6 13:06 ..
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ppasteur users 51989 Sep 5 17:59 20190905.log
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ppasteur users 48847 Sep 6 17:58 20190906.log
-rwxrwxrwx 1 http http 52756 Sep 7 11:38 20190907.log
Still not allowing me to share it ???

Everything else is working. I am getting recordings in both HDHRomeRunDVR (when I tell it to record), and Live TV when playing … live tv.
The DVR GUI works as designed. Can browse logs and see all of the recordings.
I thought about uninstalling and reinstalling, but I spent a bunch of time to get it where it is.

If I uninstall and reinstall, will it blow away the current directory and the recordings that I copied there?

I would like to get it shared for several reasons, But I am out of ideas. I am not a Linux expert by any means, so anyone that can make any suggestions... they will be greatly appreciated.

demonrik
Posts: 1130
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 am
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:37 pm

ppasteur wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:10 pm
ok after "chmod 777 HDHomeRunDVR"
drwxrwxrwx 1 http http 462 Sep 6 18:00 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 340 Sep 6 13:06 ..
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ppasteur users 51989 Sep 5 17:59 20190905.log
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ppasteur users 48847 Sep 6 17:58 20190906.log
-rwxrwxrwx 1 http http 52756 Sep 7 11:38 20190907.log
Still not allowing me to share it ???

Everything else is working. I am getting recordings in both HDHRomeRunDVR (when I tell it to record), and Live TV when playing … live tv.
The DVR GUI works as designed. Can browse logs and see all of the recordings.
I thought about uninstalling and reinstalling, but I spent a bunch of time to get it where it is.

If I uninstall and reinstall, will it blow away the current directory and the recordings that I copied there?

I would like to get it shared for several reasons, But I am out of ideas. I am not a Linux expert by any means, so anyone that can make any suggestions... they will be greatly appreciated.
no need to uninstall (and just fyi, uninstall doesn't nuke the folder or contents)
Create a new share, make sure not to restrict to administrators
Under Permissions will be a drop down list currently set to 'Local users' change to 'Local Groups' and enable http with read/write access
Now ssh to server and move all your recordings to the new share folder - /volumeX/share
open the DVRUI and stop the engine.
Now change the RecordPath to your newly created share
Save changes
Start DVR engine

Your config is saved between updates, so once done you'll never have to change

ppasteur
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:54 pm

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by ppasteur » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:59 pm

should I also move "Live TV" and the log files ..
Or will these be recreated by the program ?
If I get this working, I guess that I should remove the HDHomeRunDVR directory after the fact ??

ppasteur
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:54 pm

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by ppasteur » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:26 pm

Anyone, can you give me a tip or two on editing the HDHomeRunDVR.conf file..
Starting with how to get to it. I would love to think that there is an easier way than using VI / VIM ??

demonrik
Posts: 1130
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 am
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:04 pm

ppasteur wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:26 pm
Anyone, can you give me a tip or two on editing the HDHomeRunDVR.conf file..
Starting with how to get to it. I would love to think that there is an easier way than using VI / VIM ??
Use the UI
No need to edit directly

ppasteur
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:54 pm

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by ppasteur » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:18 pm

thanks. But I can't figure out how to do that?
I click the button with the balloon that says "modify the DVR engine config file" and nothing happens...

I get the spinning wheel thing... then nothing ??
Maybe related to the share problem ?

demonrik
Posts: 1130
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 am
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:11 pm

ppasteur wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:18 pm
thanks. But I can't figure out how to do that?
I click the button with the balloon that says "modify the DVR engine config file" and nothing happens...

I get the spinning wheel thing... then nothing ??
Maybe related to the share problem ?
Modify the config option u want
Press the update button
Should be saved once spinner stops
Reload page (F5) and check dashboard to confirm

ppasteur
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:54 pm

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by ppasteur » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:27 pm

Rik,
I truly appreciate your efforts to help me out !! I truly do.
But I don't think you quite understand me. I cannot ever get to the point of exposing the CONF file so I can modify it.
Clicking the modify button does nothing. I do not see the file open anywhere in the interface so that I can even begin to make changes, much less save anything.
In other words, I can't seem to figure out how to get to the editor that would allow me to change anything in the CONF file.
Either I am just plain stupid, or something is broken in my install of the GUI.

demonrik
Posts: 1130
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 am
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:45 pm

ppasteur wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:27 pm
Rik,
I truly appreciate your efforts to help me out !! I truly do.
But I don't think you quite understand me. I cannot ever get to the point of exposing the CONF file so I can modify it.
Clicking the modify button does nothing. I do not see the file open anywhere in the interface so that I can even begin to make changes, much less save anything.
In other words, I can't seem to figure out how to get to the editor that would allow me to change anything in the CONF file.
Either I am just plain stupid, or something is broken in my install of the GUI.
Can u take a screenshot of your UI?
should be similar to this
Image
the text entry boxes are the conf file

ppasteur
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:54 pm

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by ppasteur » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:10 pm

Now I do feel stupid...If I get what you are saying.
"Record Engine Parameters And Controls"
RecordPath /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR

I can directly type into the fields like on the line for "Record Path" then click the update button??
Change to
RecordPath /volume1/HDHRDVR

Then click the button for "update the DVR engine config file" refresh the page to verify it saved it... and I am done ??
(After creating the corresponding share and moving everything, of course.)

Wow, sorry that is much simpler than I thought. I was waiting to see an editor open or something.
Let me know if I finally "get it".

Thanks
PP

Sorry I am not in a place where I can do a screen capture.

demonrik
Posts: 1130
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 am
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:42 pm

Yep.. That's it.
Remember to restart the engine and u should be good

Post Reply