hdhomerun_record setup on ReadyNAS 102

Downloads & Instructions
fewt

hdhomerun_record setup on ReadyNAS 102

Post by fewt »

MOD EDIT: Documentation moved to https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:nas:netgear
Last edited by fewt on Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hdhomerunuser

Re: hdhomerun_record setup on ReadyNAS 102

Post by hdhomerunuser »

Many thanks fewt - this is super helpful.

Can one of the board admins comment - is office support of hdhomrun_record for NetGear READYNAS - like the 102 or 314 (what I have) - in the works?

I assume for supported devices the excellent spelunking that fewt walks us through isn't required?

Thanks

MiltJR111

Post by MiltJR111 »

I have a ReadyNAS 314, and I've been able to use the "NAS Install" feature in HDHomeRun Setup to start the DVR service without issues.

The only problem I have is that any time I restart the NAS, I have to remember to restart the service. I believe your solution addresses that issue with the startup script. How would I adapt that to the standard install?

fewt

Post by fewt »

MiltJR111 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:47 pm I have a ReadyNAS 314, and I've been able to use the "NAS Install" feature in HDHomeRun Setup to start the DVR service without issues.

The only problem I have is that any time I restart the NAS, I have to remember to restart the service. I believe your solution addresses that issue with the startup script. How would I adapt that to the standard install?
I don't really know, as I've never done the standard install. It's incompatible with my ReadyNAS. It could be as simple as updating the service file with the paths to the hdhomerun_record_linux script, and enabling it with systemctl.

MiltJR111

Post by MiltJR111 »

fewt wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:21 am
MiltJR111 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:47 pm I have a ReadyNAS 314, and I've been able to use the "NAS Install" feature in HDHomeRun Setup to start the DVR service without issues.

I don't really know, as I've never done the standard install. It's incompatible with my ReadyNAS. It could be as simple as updating the service file with the paths to the hdhomerun_record_linux script, and enabling it with systemctl.
I forgot to post back here - I did exactly as you described above right after making my previous post, and it worked perfectly. The Record service now starts on every reboot, which is a relief so I don't have to keep remembering to enable it if/when I reboot the ReadyNAS. Thank you so much for posting this!

jierickson

Post by jierickson »

I have a ReadyNAS 2120 (arm x64 OS 6), and I'm getting stuck on the script to run in the /lib/systemd/system folder, I get several errors. How do I run or create that script? I tried copying and pasting but multiple lines give a -bash error "command not found".

It installed fine with the windows installer, it just doesn't auto start so if I reboot the NAS I have to ssh in and manually start the service.

The link on the first post for the updated setup procedure has a broken link (The requested topic does not exist).

jierickson

Post by jierickson »

Got it with help from support. I needed to paste the text into a file called hdhomerun.system, which wasn't spelled out in the first post.

I also had to update the paths for the default file locations for where the installer installs the HDHomeRun software.
/data/HDHomeRun/ instead of /apps/hdhomerun_record/bin/

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

I cleaned up the instructions a bit, so they should be a little easier to follow for ReadyNAS users.

shalamigri

Post by shalamigri »

I hope I did everything correctly. The DVR service is running. Not sure where the process list is though.

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS RN3138

I kept getting stat errors when entering:
mv /tmp/hdhomerun_record_arm hdhomerun_record

I did a (ls /tmp) and didn't see anythting pertaining to hdhomerun. After waiting about 5 minutes, I saw that hdhomerun_record_x64 was in there. I then entered:
mv /tmp/hdhomerun_record_x64 hdhomerun_record

That went through.

Not sure if I did step # 7 correctly, but I copied EVERYTHING as is into the shell terminal and then hit enter. I didn't get any errors. I entered in (systemctl enable hdhomerun) which seems to have created a sysmlink. I then entered (systemctl start hdhomerun) and saw that the DVR was running as expected.

Just want to know if I did this all correctly because I was doing all of this from outside my home network. Haven't rebooted my NAS yet. Will do that when I get home. I recently upgraded my ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus to this device. I was just using the NAS install through windows on my old NAS.